They did, but grunts didn't do anything that formal.

At most, just a picture of what you could see from your position, sketched as a silhouette. You could jam them in the dirt right below the terrain feature they represented, and the most I ever saw written on them was numbers, which was the range in meters.

Other times, the only thing marked at all was the limits of final protective fire for the 60 position, marked by sticks stuck in the ground.

I never saw a dinosaur until I was a teenager.

Edited by Jammersix

But your officers and FO probably did.  You may have unwittingly contributed to the creation of local TRPs.  If the details of these TRPs were then shared with supporting elements, you may have affected the TRPs of other units-- Your officers and other leadership may have in fact conspired to create battle graphics behind your backs, perhaps even using these graphics to coordinate their plans amongst themselves and with fellow conspirators-- they may have even used the locations of your own positions, reported by you so innocently, as TRPs and not told you-- only to be used of course in the event that you've pulled back or been overrun... but then again, of course that's what they'd say!

TheForwardObserver,

Very much appreciate your most educational discourse. I had NO idea TRPs these days potentially outnumbered toadstools after a spring rain. That said, would you please clarify what you mean by 1st round FFE? What level of TLE qualifies as that? For a given grid, at some reasonable range (you tell me), how close can you put a single round to that cross on the map I just made and am now calling down fire upon? In WW II, a 100 meter bracket was enough to go to FFE. I imagine it could be a lot less these days, given all sorts of technical improvements in FA.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

FO, (and John) if I understand you correctly, you are using a game mechanism (a TRP) to simulate a real-life possibility (a first-round FFE) in a game that does not simulate that possibility without the (game) TRP, is that accurate?

That compromise means that the term "TRP" means two different things in real life and in the game.

@Jammersix Correct, you read me lima charlie.  As it stands, in-game, the request for precision munitions, and to some extent the emergency barrage both would *also* qualify as FFEs, as they require no spotting rounds.  Though, I think the emergency barrage more closely captures the spirit of what would be called an Immediate Suppression, which is an urgent fire mission request whereby the guns immediately fire at the requested location with whatever ammunition is on hand, in whatever manner and sheaf is fastest for each gun.  If WP is loaded, WP is what is fired-- goal being immediate suppression, not destruction, or harassment or neutralization. 

@John Kettler First round FFE is Fire for Effect on the correct grid, achieving desired effects, with no spotting rounds.  This is what you see with Excalibur munitions in game.  The irony being the target grid must be correct in order for Excalibur to achieve effects, as it does not use terminal guidance or laser guidance.  A good grid for Excal should be good for unguided.  As for an Observer requesting FFE following the the adjustment of fire;  all systems have different minimum deviation (left and right) and range corrections that they will perform for specific missions, and depending on the desired effects in the target area, sheaf, etc, FFE can be fired at various times.  As a standard, in artillery, an Observer will request FFE when he no longer needs to deviate greater than 35 meters left or right or drop/add ranges less than 50 meters.  IE typical minimum corrections would be Right 35, and Drop 50.  However these can be waived if a greater level of effect is desired, or when registering guns for precision fire.  

TheForwardObserver,

Don't know whether to be impressed or terrified. But were I on the potential receiving end, given what you've said, this would certainly get my immediate attention:

High Explosive (HE)
(M-107 NC/DC): Explosive Composition B material packed into a thick, internally scored shell which causes a large blast and sends razor-sharp fragments at extreme velocities (5,000–6,000 meters per second). The kill zone is approximately a radius of 50 meters and casualty radius is 100 meters. The Marine Corps and US Army also uses the M795 High Explosive round. Taken from the M198 Wiki.

The numbers you cite certainly show the dramatic effects of the near total OLE (Own Location Error) elimination via GPS, coupled with ballistic computers, better Met information and a bunch of other things I don't recall or never knew. Likewise, if an FO is in the loop, the FO, if GPS equipped, is no longer typically running the 300 meter OLE the Army found in trials was the case before the technical revolution leading to where we are today. It would appear, then, that most targets, unless in sensitive areas and/or positions requiring them (mortar parked behind building in urban area) can simply be engaged with unguided HE and Excalibur reserved for the "impossible shots" described above. Speaking of Excalibur, how long do you think it'll take until some bright soul starts thinking about a reduced charge version or the artillery shell equivalent of the precision guided concrete bomb in use by tacair long since? If you're going to do surgery, why splatter the patient all over the operating theater?

Regards, 

John Kettler
Edited by John Kettler

More certainty that you'll hit your stationary grid, and the potential for increased range under certain circumstances.  If you're lasing targets with a laser designator, right now, typically you're doing so for munitions summoned from the various winged beasts of the heavens. 

John, If it's needed someone will get around to it, after they've exhausted all other options.