A Wargamers Needful Things a new blog

Wodin

Hello,

My name is Jason (as I'm sure a few of you already know) and for awhile now I've run a Facebook page called Tactical Wargames. However I've recently started a blog and so the blog aswell as the Facebook page are now called A Wargamers Needful Things.

The blog will be a one stop shop for wargamers and those who have hobbies that have a military theme. My team and myself will be reviewing not only board games and PC games but also Military history books published by Pen and Sword (monthly), Toy soldiers by Thomas Gunn and even mini figs by Minifigs R Us! Hopefully the range will continue to grow.

Currently we have DVG Games, Ares Games, Victory Point Games, Slitherine\Matrix games, Focus Interactive, Galeforce9\Battlefront games, LockNLoad games, Battlefront games (PC), Pen and Sword publishers, Thomas Gunn miniatures and Minifigs R US plus several smaller developers\designers. We are also in talks with other major game companies.

We will also be publishing interviews with major players in the business aswell as interviews with authors like Jack Sheldon and Jason D Marks.

We also have an AAR section. Currently a superb Blocks in the East AAR is storming along. The last 5 parts will be published very soon. If any of you write AARs and would like them published on the blog then please get in touch.

So please drop by and take a look. Check the "Incoming" section as this will be updated regularly.

Happy Hunting

Jason

LINK TO BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Wodin,

Am deathly afraid of signing up over at AWNT (the Forums here are more than adequate as glorious time sucks!), but I do go over there to your site and read. The WOFF thing blew my mind, and I sent out to various aviation and flight sim relatives and friends.

When I find something to help your war effort, I'll pass it on here. Was over on Achtung T-Shirt's site (some cool shirts there), and one of their shirt art lines is old toys. When I found the 132 Roman soldier set by Lucky Toys which was advertised in comic books when I was little, I decided to go see what was in the set. That's how I found this gem. You may lose your mind, so consider yourself warned! this guy does some really cool stuff, including MiniFigs for two notional nations.

http://dougssoldiers.blogspot.com

132 Romans

http://dougssoldiers.blogspot.com/2012/08/comic-book-toy-soldiers-lucky-toys-132.html

Also, in trying to find the original version of a remarkable game, the siege of Jerusalem A.D. 70, I think I may reasonably claim today's nonexistent prize regarding most bizarre location for a wargame writeup and new scenarios.

http://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/1976_avalon-hill_siege-of-jerusalem.html

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Found this while trying to help StieliAlpha ID a Bulge movie.

https://allaboutwarmovies.com

Edited by John Kettler

Nice site.  B)

You should contact Plastic Soldier Company in the UK.....Will is usually very helpful to review sites in my experience:

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/

I'm a huge fan of Too Fat Lardies, their skirmish rules are like nothing else:

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/

No idea if they will forward stuff for review, but they seem nice chaps, so mebbe give 'em a shout. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

15 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Also, in trying to find the original version of a remarkable game, the siege of Jerusalem A.D. 70, I think I may reasonably claim today's nonexistent prize regarding most bizarre location for a wargame writeup and new scenarios.

http://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/1976_avalon-hill_siege-of-jerusalem.html

Hi John

Not quite sure, if understood you right, but there is copy of AH's Siege of Jerusalem available at EBay for EUR 69,-.

Looks pretty good, only the box is very lightly worn.

BTW, I, too, have a copy. Bought back then in the 80's and still unpunched.

I played Siege of Jerusalem just once, with a friends copy. Indeed, one of the "must have" board games!

StieliAlpha,

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say didn't come out quite right. I should've said "Also, in trying to find a review of the original version..." What a difference two missing words can make. Just so I'm clear, are you saying you have the Historical Perspective original or AH's rework? I don't know the production dates offhand, other than that the former was first released in 1976. I don't recall the year of the game con I mentioned at which AH was showing off a prototype of its version in an effort to let people know about it.

Regards,

John Kettler

15 hours ago, John Kettler said:

StieliAlpha,

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say didn't come out quite right. I should've said "Also, in trying to find a review of the original version..." What a difference two missing words can make. Just so I'm clear, are you saying you have the Historical Perspective original or AH's rework? I don't know the production dates offhand, other than that the former was first released in 1976. I don't recall the year of the game con I mentioned at which AH was showing off a prototype of its version in an effort to let people know about it.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi John

Yep, two words can make a big difference. Though nowadays, that seems to lose a little of importance. ?

And, yep, the AH edition is, indeed, much younger. My copy shows a copyright date of 1989 and refers to an issue of "The General", dated 1990.

On 9.3.2017 at 10:34 PM, John Kettler said:

StieliAlpha,

Regards,

John Kettler

Ah, and I found the "Historical Perspective" version mentioned in Nick Palmers "Comprehensive Guide to Boardwargaming", dated 1977. But really only listed, not reviewed. Just a few words, what the game is about and contains.