Courage Conquers campaign?

• 2 years later...

I won a total victory at the end but still lost on just the last  map of the campaign, Assenois. The last one just killed the whole campaign experience. The time limit is horrible for all the maps needs more time for all campaign battles in Courage Conquers. I don't think this  last battle was made historically accurate.. Good job on the google earth part of map making. Maybe someone will make the battles that happened after Bastogne and the 101st were reached, into a campaign.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:52 AM, user1000 said:

I don't think this  last battle was made historically accurate.. Good job on the google earth part of map making.

Actually the maps in that campaign seem to have only little to do with the real places. At least when I looked up the Remichampagne map I'm currently playing and compared it to the real location on Google Maps. The basic road layout seems reasonably close, but the amount and location of buildings seems made up.

The designer also added a huge church that is not there in the real town.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, user1000 said:

I won a total victory at the end but still lost on just the last  map of the campaign, Assenois. The last one just killed the whole campaign experience. The time limit is horrible for all the maps needs more time for all campaign battles in Courage Conquers. I don't think this  last battle was made historically accurate.. Good job on the google earth part of map making. Maybe someone will make the battles that happened after Bastogne and the 101st were reached, into a campaign.

Don’t feel too bad. I haven’t made it past the first one yet. The 1:1 ratio is killing me when you also have to save ammo 

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

It is quite a small but, pretty church. It does however have a Bus Stop named after it. So perhaps the designer thought it was a larger structure than it actually is.

Or maybe he got it mixed up with the church of Remi, in Champagne-Arden? That's what pops up when you google "Remichampagne church". And it looks like the one in the game .

917348.jpg

As for the campaign, I don't think it's bad. Some missions are better than others. Remichampagne just seems like a very rushed map, with very little resemblance to the real place, and very little in common with the layout of real European villages. The roads even have those rough edges where the tiles are not joined right (insert OCD emoji here)

In short, the campaign seems like a "bonus" campaign - the real meat of CMFB is the Peiper and the  Aachen campaigns. After playing those, the Courage Conquers campaign seems a bit bland.

Hahaha.  You might well be right. The church in Remichampagne is a little onion-domed affair. It could be that the original was destroyed during the war, but i haven't been able to find any pictures from the village in WW2 yet.

I enjoyed the campaign. And of course, the final mission took me back to the "Assenois" battle that came on the Bonus disc of CMBO.

I have a playthrough of that campaign on my channel. It is not terrible, but feels rather generic and uninspired, with lots of samey missions. The final mission is a slap in the face, since the briefing misleads you into thinking that you are supposed to solve the scenario in the historical manner by rushing your forces through it, when in fact that is basically impossible.

I seem to remember commenting on that last video.

My advice to anyone who hasn't played it yet. Take the briefing with a large dose of salt. Prepare for a tough fight, and you should secure a Total Victory. Players of a certain age, with a good memory, and who played the above mentioned "Assenois" battle are at an advantage.

I second the points Bulletpoint makes - the mapping in this campaign is suggestive of the real world locations, but that's it, especially with regards to how villages and urban landscapes are depicted. I'm 3 missions in and all the maps so far have been a bit odd for me, mainly because they don't look like European towns/villages from that area and I'm used to CM maps having a high fidelity, that being one of the attractions of the series. There are many multi-story townhouse type buildings, for example, which you don't have there, and didn't have back then either as far as I can make out (I live near and have visited quite a few times). Some areas have been 'compressed'. The villages look like much larger towns should look, I think.

The campaign itself, and the missions, are enjoyable and challenging with a cool force mix. So - thought of as a free campaign (as someone said above), yes, it's fun. 

5 hours ago, peter thomas said:

So - thought of as a free campaign (as someone said above), yes, it's fun. 

I think that was me. The good thing about the campaign is that the missions are not "puzzle like" - they are just straight up assaults, and you get a very generous helping of armour and artillery to help do the job.

The difficulty is very low compared to most campaigns I played, and I think that's a good thing. I'd recommend the campaign to a new player. Definitely better to start with this as practice and then get on to the good bits later.

• 3 weeks later...

I used one of the special tools to open this campaign to check out the different scenario maps. In one of the scenarios there's a US-battalion together with a later reinforcement of eight tanks attacking a village. Is there any good reason to why the US-troops have "elite experience" considering that they overwhelm the few veteran Germans with their amount of men and tanks?

I can't speak for the campaign's designer. But, US 7th Armoured has a high reputation amongst historians, and game designers alike. AH even went so far as to create a game based solely upon them (Patton's Best). Being a general of far superior quality than any colonial, I suspect that their "Elite" status be be a tad generous.

Exits stage right drinking Devil's Advocaat ------------------->

• 2 years later...

Is the Assenois map available in the 'quick mission builder'? I played through the Campaign three times, but by the time I get to the last battle, which I actually think is the most fun, I've either lost too many tanks or too much infantry or both. I'd like to try it with a more full compliment of troops.

As for 7th and 4th Armored, they did seem to perform well in the real world, though they took a lot of casualties. I don't think it was just down to Patton. Part of what makes an 'elite' unit sometimes is having a good 'shakeout' where their first few battles go well. That's part of it.

I also think one of the factors was that a lot of their tanks and other vehicles were substantially enhanced. For example the famous Sherman Jumbo which was the first into Bastogne "Cobra King" had a .50 caliber put in for a co-ax gun. Creighton Abrams personal tank 'Thunderbolt VII' had the front glacis from a Panther welded on over his existing front armor and extra pieces from a Sherman turret welded to the sides of his turret and hull... and a .50 cal coax.

You can see a pic of it here http://ww2in172.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Thunder-10-Actual-Tank.jpg

This is a model somebody made of it http://ww2in172.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Thunder-1-Left-Profile-1.jpg

They apparently had a lot of tanks with extra armor, effectively Jumbos or close to it. They also put 76 mm guns into some of the Jumbos, many halftracks and trucks were fitted with extra .50 caliber machine guns, and so on.

I like this campaign. The FO is green if my memory serves me right. I made the HQ Sherman a FiST vehicle. The dialog said be economical with AFV ammunition feel free to use the 105mm. As they say the rest is history. What I like about it is the scouting party at the beginning. Find observer and firing positions. Made sure contact icons are shared among the engagement parties. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 5:15 PM, GoodSoldierSchweik said:

Another question: Is there a way to command your infantry to throw grenades?  Like over an obstacle say..?

Yes and no. There's no command for it, but if you place a team next to a tall wall, you can actually place a target order on the other side of the wall. Your guys will then throw grenades over the wall, but very slowly - 1-2 grenades a turn.