Courage Conquers campaign?

Cmon Wodin this is WW2 and you got troops to relieve! No time to cry over the expendables. Advance and fire HE into groups of surrendering Huns. Word has it they gunned a buncha Joes from an arty outfit down at Baugnez road junction

If it's less than 20% (the casualty threshold in the VCs, and I think it is) then it's certainly acceptable. I might finish the scenario myself in the next few days (I'm not getting more than a couple of turns at a time, once a day, at the moment); I'll have a number to compare with yours then... :)

Edit: though I did lose a 76 Sherman to an unlucky arty hit, so the consequences of that might be greater than any variation in infantry losses, later in the campaign...

Edited by womble

Spolier alert!!!

Hey Wodin,

don't worry too much! I've lost 37 men, 2 tanks and a halftrack, plus my mortar platoon got wrecked. I would say you got away pretty smoothly. On top of that, have a look at the after action screen: IIRC the numerical relationship between attacker and defender was about 1:1 or very close to it. Very far away form an reasonable numerical superiority for an attcking force of 3:1!

This is one hell of a first mission!

Edited by DasMorbo

How's HE holding up in the long run in this campaign? Reading that I'd have to be economic with it as I'd not get resupplied put me right of playing the campaign to be honest, at least until we get the option to toggle HE use unless directly ordered to, or get Target Light Arcs, as I had no desire to get stuck halfway through because my AI tankers had wasted all HE on their own initiative.

Anthony I to find the worry over ammo an extra problem that to be honest I'd rather be without esp as you say we can't actually tell our tank commanders to be careful with HE ammo. This is where I'd love to have SOP's in the game you can issue to units at the start of the battle.. 

2 hours ago, Wodin said:

Anthony I to find the worry over ammo an extra problem that to be honest I'd rather be without esp as you say we can't actually tell our tank commanders to be careful with HE ammo. This is where I'd love to have SOP's in the game you can issue to units at the start of the battle.. 

You don't really have to tell them to be careful with the stuff. They'll at least only fling it will-ye, nill-ye at targets they can actually see (pretty much all of which we want servicing to death), as opposed to us hamfisted God-eye commanders who'll waste half a score rounds on an injudicious Area Target that we set, then forgot about for a minute, where one or two would have done. That's why Steve gave us Target Briefly and Pause-move-[Face|TA|Target Light]atthenextwaypoint.

The scenario would be a cakewalk if we could be assured of full resupply afterwards. While the force numbers might be about even, the American side includes more and better armour, and one absolutely mahoosive arty module. If I could've been profligate with my DF HE I'd've cleared the town at about minute 40. As it is, it's touch and go. Limited ammo supply is a real life consideration. That the game can allow it to be a factor is a bonus in my eyes.

I definitely understand that aspect, but the issue I see is that they seem too willing to use HE on even lone enemies they spot. The alternatives would be covered arcs, but in my experience that makes them even more prone to using HE within that arc, or use Target Light, which limits them to just machine gunning that spot regardless of any other targets they might spot elsewhere.

[shrug] It ain't perfect. But the odd round spent chasing fleeing individuals is tolerable, even in a low-ammo situation.

Just got myself handed a Minor Defeat. Didn't get any overtime, but that would probably have made little difference, since I don't think I was going to spot the one unit in town that hadn't drawn my ire, and therefore gotten the lead broom treatment. 35 casualties (11 dead, 25 wounded, plus a *lot* of yellow silhouettes) and the aforementioned accidental tank loss to arty. Nearly lost the tank Coy HQ to a shreck team in an ill-advised charge to the flank... Several shots fired, one glancing, non-penetrating hit... lucky. Almost all the infantry ended up Rattled. I'm short a couple of Plt leaders... Not a good day at the office.

The campaign is a bit strange in that you have to be very judicious with your tank HE, but can let it rain with the 105mm arty (I think you get about 1200 rounds in the second scenario).  As others have mentioned, your tanks firing HE at targets they can see is not that bad as it has a fairly high chance of causing casualties.  I've found most of the Germans are in buildings in the scenarios so far (I'm mid-way through mission 3) and when I fire MG rounds at them, they just run to the next building or hide out somewhere where they ambush my infantry or tanks.  I generally use the target briefly command in the hopes that the 2 or 3 shots fired takes out the infantry. 

I'd also agree that the panzershrecks seem to have very good aim so far.  I remember in CMx1 you'd be lucky to get a 30% hit probability at 100m, but now it seems like they're hitting 60% of the shots at 150m. 

Question.  If your tank is immobilized because it gets bogged in the snow (or tracks are damaged by combat), does it make it to the next mission or not?

On 5/25/2016 at 2:57 PM, Lille Fiskerby said:

Sorry to say but all immobilized vehicles: tanks, halftracks and so on are lost for the rest of the campaign they will not come back.

Darn.  I was afraid that was the answer.  I remember back in CMx1 you would occasionally see KOed tanks come back in later battles.  Now if your tank gets bogged it might as well have been completely destroyed. 

On a somewhat unrelated note, one thing I would like to see in campaigns is the ability to manage personnel a little bit better between battles.  For instance, if one of your tanks gets bogged or has its main weapon destroyed, you could put the crew into other vehicles that have taken casualties.  Likewise you could assign a couple of infantry to an MG team that only had one survivor in the previous battle; you could reorganize three understrength platoons into two full strength; etc.

• 4 months later...
On 30/5/2016 at 0:51 AM, DasMorbo said:

I had a most weird "comeback".

My Mortar Platoon of  B/37th AB got torn to shreds in the 1st mission - 1 M21 destroyed, 1 M21 bogged, 50% KIAs and WIAs... Total FUBAR...

...and in the 2nd mission it is back to full strenght. ;)

The game uses a weird system for replenishing casualties - each formation is either 100% or 0% replenished. But maybe that's the way it was done, I don't know.

Edited by Bulletpoint

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

I thought that a designer can set a certain % for replacement and also a desired % for resupply between missions of a campaign.

Yes but I believe that's the percentage chance that any given unit will replenish up to 100 pct. strength:

On 24/9/2015 at 8:02 PM, womble said:

That entry is the chance of the factor for each core unit to be restored to 100% in that factor between scenarios.So if Refit is 50%, half (on average; it's checked for each unit, and not, I believe, capped) of your units that have taken casualties will be restored to 100% strength. If resupply is 30%, 30% (again, statistically) of your units which have used ammo will be topped off to full establishment. The chances of resupply can be different depending on whether you're on the "Lost the last battle" or "Won the last battle" track.