Tiger II Ausf. B (H) Camo

«Königstiger» SdKfz 182 PzKpfw VI (Tiger II) Ausf. B. texture based on the N°008  of the Stab/s.SS-Pz.Abt.501, operation "Wacht am Rhein", Tongorf, 1944 and the  N°555 of the Stab/s.SS-Pz.Abt.502, 1945, somewhere in the east.

Texture pattern completely redone. Work in progress...

395945CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160512001539.pn

507591CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160509223509.pn

568901CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160510040059.pn

850856CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160511205936.pn

256538CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160512001921.pn

846900CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160511221714.pn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/5/2016 at 1:19 AM, PanzerPajamas said:

Looking good!

16 hours ago, Fizou said:

Great! Who doesn't love a good looking KT..

11 hours ago, CMFDR said:

Nice to see how it's being done, KUTGJ Worg!

Thank you very much for your support comrades ;)

Update...Work in progress...

409279CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160513054756.pn

Edited by Worghern

8 hours ago, umlaut said:

Looks great. Could you please share which technique you're using for replacing the original camoflage with a single colour (white/yellow)?

And what do you give me in return ? AHAHAHA....No, it's a joke ! I'm going to respond of course !  

And this is simple; I have began my texture with the [whitewash] tag.  But, sometimes, you have not this easy solution to do it. So, you have to realize your template all alone and only with what you got. The first step is to desaturate completely the texture. Then select only black lines and create a layer with it. And go on....First layer, the colour base, etc, etc, etc...It's long, meticulous and fastidious, as well with the [whitewash] tag but, once you haven't access to the uvws maps, you have no other way...Bon courage and thank you very much for your support Umlaut ;)

Update....Work'n progress...

510571CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160514015754.pn

357653CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160514015846.pn

Now, let's damaged and make it dirty this beautiful toy.... :D

Edited by Worghern

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Am always impressed with camo that is so effective that you can barely see the tank in that picture (lol).

You're right to this point. You discern hardly what part of the tank than you see. What is its real size? How far ? In what direction points the gun? Is this forward? Is it back? The Germans were have mastered in the art of camouflage in 1944. Since the sky, fighter-bombers could not see them. When you look in detail camouflage as a whole, you realize that the different parts are perfectly linked together.

408647CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160514023348.pn

898571CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160514023437.pn

By the way, It was very harsh to achieve due to the technical limitation than the developers have chosen to avoid the symmetry of colors. Without uvws maps, I had to tweak and make dozens and dozens of test to advance.

Edited by Worghern

You could a paint a bunch of bullseyes all over it - that way enemy gunners would get confused as to which bullseye to aim at.  <Ahem... That was a joke.>

Seriously tho', am very impressed with what you are doing re mods.  Thanks for all your efforts.

Edited by Erwin

10 hours ago, Worghern said:

, you have to realize your template all alone and only with what you got. The first step is to desaturate completely the texture. Then select only black lines and create a layer with it. And go on....First layer, the colour base, etc, etc, etc...It's long, meticulous and fastidious, as well with the [whitewash] tag but, once you haven't access to the uvws maps, you have no other way...

Thanks a lot. Doesnt sound much different to what I have been doing myself already. Just wanted to check if you might had found a less time consuming method.

Keep up the good work.

I want to see how you do when you have no whitewash version to start with. Please show the before and after evolution again! If not here, in your next vehicle modding thread please.

umlaut (Dennis) has done well when he recolored or replaced color slowly bit by bit to turn a dark yellow tank WITH green or brown patterns into only the dark yellow and THEN add his own new green or brown pattern. Me? I have wrestled with all the Flak36 88mm's in all games to make a new one for my Africa mod in ONLY a desert yellow but I still see the residual swirls of the non-yellow color. Fail! :(

19 hours ago, Worghern said:

510571CMFinalBlitzkrieg20160514015754.pn

Beautiful! There's one thing, though. Bit of a pet peeve to me, but it's obvious by the dots on the barrel that that particular section is stretched and the dots look like ovals. Is that fixable?

3 minutes ago, Juju said:

Beautiful! There's one thing, though. Bit of a pet peeve to me, but it's obvious by the dots on the barrel that that particular section is stretched and the dots look like ovals. Is that fixable?

Unfortunately, the pixel ratio is not respected in this part ... In fact, the integrity of the texel is not very well respected in the whole object. Look at the dots on the turret on the hull and the schurzens. Nothing shocks you? The dots are not the same size. If you look at the original file, you will notice that the dots are bigger on the turret while they are longer and slightly elongated on the flanks. For the barrel, they have simply been...forgotten ? 

Do not worry Juju, images above were just a test, a kind of preview. I will correct this problem as much as possible.

I don't forget you Kohlenklau, let me finish with the KT ;)

14 minutes ago, Worghern said:

Nothing shocks you?

I've been modding CM for almost 14 years, Often to the sound of me cursing and swearing about issues just like that. Taking a closer look at the rest of the vehicle I see what you mean. Getting all dots to be the same size is possible but no doubt a huge timesink and not worth (or fun) doing.

I've learned to live with all the issues CM seems to throw at us modders. I also should have known better before asking the question in the first place. :D

When I do textures the first thing I do is create a 'test' layer where every surface has the same circle art on it (in my case 19 pixels). Then I can eyeball on the model which surface is displaying large/small/condensed/squashed/skewed. Some vehicles there's no problem at all. Other vehicles its like OH MY GOD! Talk about a timesink! I suspect the BFC guys would be very pleased if I could find a way to magically cut my per-vehicle art time by 2/3rds.

Edited by MikeyD

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I suspect the BFC guys would be very pleased if I could find a way to magically cut my per-vehicle art time by 2/3rds.

Much of the issue seems to be the UV mapping - from cursory looks at the textures a lot of the UV mapping seems to be done with basic planar projections. Of course, to save time on texturing you'd need to invest more into the UV mapping. You could also try some software that allows you to paint directly on the models (like Substance Painter). It wouldn't remove all distortions but maintaining size, shape and proportionality would be simple. Unfortunately, it isn't an option for modders because we can't get access to the models :(

14 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I suspect the BFC guys would be very pleased if I could find a way to magically cut my per-vehicle art time by 2/3rds.

A plain-colour version of each vehicle (it is of course is primarily the german ones I'm talking about) would cut my modding time considerably. Would it be possible for you to upload plain colour versions of german vehicles to cmmods, Mikey?