Computer Forces

Are the forces the computer selects controlled by the map, or are they random?

I've noticed that certain maps usually have enemy air power, while other maps never have it. The same feels like it's true for Soviet vs. Ukrainian forces and infantry vs. armored forces.

Ah its both depending on the context. @CameronMcDonald for a scenario the forces and their behaviour are controlled by the scenario author.  For Quick Battles they are random but with in a framework that depends on your force selection type (Infantry only, armour only, mixed etc.) and the type of battle (attack, probe etc.).  @Jammersix did not specify but I think he is referring to QBs.

Edited to add: as for air power I do not recall seeing any air power selected for a QB.  Mind you I spend my time testing small QBs because that is where the force selection algorithm usually gets into trouble.  @Jammersix can you share some of the QB selections you are making when you see air power not being used?

Edited by IanL

That's right, I was talking about Quick Battles, not scenarios. These settings almost never produce enemy (computer, Red) air power:

Upper left: random battle type, random size,  length of battle one hour, map selection automatic, random map size, random environment.

Lower left: U.S. Army, Mix, No Electronic Warfare, Human, Preview Allowed, No Change in force adjustment.

Upper right: 2017, June, Random Daylight, Random Weather, loose rarity factor.

Lower right: Random Red force, random force mix, no electronic warfare, automatic purchase. 

17 hours ago, Jammersix said:

That's right, I was talking about Quick Battles, not scenarios. These settings almost never produce enemy (computer, Red) air power:

Upper left: random battle type, random size,  length of battle one hour, map selection automatic, random map size, random environment.

Lower left: U.S. Army, Mix, No Electronic Warfare, Human, Preview Allowed, No Change in force adjustment.

Upper right: 2017, June, Random Daylight, Random Weather, loose rarity factor.

Lower right: Random Red force, random force mix, no electronic warfare, automatic purchase. 

That's a lot of randomness.  I doubt any one will be able to find a pattern of air support usage or not.