It is for a Springfield (I think that is the name).  See the last guy in the B team - that's not a Garrard silhouette.  You can verify that it is or is not him by hovering your mouse over the weapon silhouette and see which 3D solider get the flashing base.

He appears to be the grenadier, which IIRC requires a special cartridge for firing the grenade...the cartridge is loaded individually. Pehaps garand grenadiers always have that animation, even when they aren't firing a grenade? I never paid much attention to their animations.

Edited by mjkerner

3 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

He appears to be the grenadier, which IIRC requires a special cartridge for firing the grenade...the cartridge is loaded individually. Pehaps garand grenadiers always have that animation, even when they aren't firing a grenade? I never paid much attention to their animations.

You'd be correct. A blank round would be used to propel the rifle grenade; the way it was chambered required the action to be opened after every shot. Its had the bolt action anim for simplicity's sake for as long as I could remember. 

Oh cool - learn something new every day.  So in game the bolt action animation is used even when he is not firing a rifle grenade?

Uh yeah he is not firing a grenade guys..

@ Ian lol you seriously think that's a springfield with the receiver shown? Says garand in info box.

Edited by user1000

18 minutes ago, user1000 said:

Uh yeah he is not firing a grenade guys..

@ Ian lol you seriously think that's a springfield with the receiver shown? Says garand in info box.

Allow me to clarify; when the M7 launcher is in place the rifle cannot be fired semi-automatically. Whatsoever. "By the book" suggested the M7 only be emplaced when you wanted to fire a grenade, but since it was locked in via the bayonet lug, most grenadiers kept it on at all times, ready to fire, and cycled the M1 by hand when firing regularly. 

No bug here bud.

36 minutes ago, IanL said:

Oh cool - learn something new every day.  So in game the bolt action animation is used even when he is not firing a rifle grenade?

Yeah, but I haven't the foggiest idea why, from the technical perspective, it was necessary to cycle the action in reality -- probably a precaution to prevent damage to the action. I know the M7 was used well into the Korean War (which would suggest the Army found it satisfactory) but I'm not sure if that design quirk was ever ironed out or not. 

Edited by Rinaldi
Further detail

39 minutes ago, user1000 said:

Glad you are amused - not sure why though.  Not every person in that squad has a Garand and your video does not show which team member is which.

21 minutes ago, user1000 said:

I still don't see why he can't use a clip with the  spigot on

Sounds like @Rinaldi already answered that.

30 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

Allow me to clarify; when the M7 launcher is in place the rifle cannot be fired semi-automatically. Whatsoever.

Yes, I noted that the animation might be the same regardless of what the grenadier is firing.  

Further (quick) research:  With the spigot on, the gas cylinder was disabled, so the cartridges--the blanks or the regulars--wouldn't be automatically ejected. Had to do it by hand. So, as Rinaldi noted, no bug here.

Edited by mjkerner

3 hours ago, user1000 said:

I still don't see why he can't use a clip with the  spigot on

He is using a clip. It's just that the rounds have to be cycled by hand with the launcher attached.