Bug with British 2-inch mortar?

that is not a bug, its how the game has worked all along and they are not changing it from what I know.

It does not mean its good, its actually really bad. but it is what it is.

If you have four smoke shells and you want to use them, You need to fire them before the ammo count runs down to below 4 on the main ammo.

and if I am recalling correctly, when you fire a smoke shell, the main count also minuses a shell still.

So if you had 10 HE. and 2 smoke. ( you need to think of it as 10 total rounds to use and 2 can be smoke if you want them to.)

I hate it personally, but that is what the game does.

6 minutes ago, slysniper said:

that is not a bug, its how the game has worked all along and they are not changing it from what I know.

It does not mean its good, its actually really bad. but it is what it is.

If you have four smoke shells and you want to use them, You need to fire them before the ammo count runs down to below 4 on the main ammo.

and if I am recalling correctly, when you fire a smoke shell, the main count also minuses a shell still.

So if you had 10 HE. and 2 smoke. ( you need to think of it as 10 total rounds to use and 2 can be smoke if you want them to.)

I hate it personally, but that is what the game does.

This is how it works for off-map mortars or artillery. But on-map mortars count Smoke ammo and HE separately, like any other weapon does. I believe in the bug being referenced here, there are still smoke rounds left in the count, just no HE.

Got the file. Had no problem getting the out-of-HE 2" mortar to fire smoke. I first moved them out from under the trees to the bocage line on the south side of the field. I suspect that like a previous poster in this thread you were targeting your mortars through a tree canopy which can sometimes cause target orders to cancel, particularly if the trajectory of the shell is more-or-less parallel to the canopy.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

10 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

Got the file. Had no problem getting the out-of-HE 2" mortar to fire smoke. I first moved them out from under the trees to the bocage line on the south side of the field.

It's not about trees on my end. It's about losing the special generous mortar targeting ability when there's only smoke ammo left. The mortar CAN fire smoke when out of HE, but only in direct line of fire like with rifles etc.

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

It's not about trees on my end. It's about losing the special generous mortar targeting ability when there's only smoke ammo left. The mortar CAN fire smoke when out of HE, but only in direct line of fire like with rifles etc.

I have a test scenario specifically for that. It works on my end. I'll post it here tonight. In the meantime if you have a save file showing it not working post it or send it to me if you still have my email.