Bug with British 2-inch mortar?

I noticed that after I spend the little mortar's HE ammo, and want to use the smoke ammo, I lose the ability to do the special generous mortar targeting.

So, there will be a target in a difficult location, I don't have normal LOF. The mortar sets up, gets blue target line. I fire all 12 rounds of HE. I now try to target the exact same location with smoke. I now get no blue target line and cannot target.

Closer inspection reveals that the targeting line now reports "out of range" for all ranges, then at very close range it switches instantly to "target too close".

I can still target places that are in regular direct line of fire though.

• 9 months later...

Have you seen an issue I encountered in CMBS: An FO is waiting for offboard arty spotting rounds, but I was able to immediately select a 2nd offboard arty unit and deploy a 2nd strike.  When I went back to the first arty piece than then the 2nd again, I could not access the 2nd one this time (that's they way I think it should work).  However, by exiting the arty system and reselecting the same FO currently engaged in spotting rounds, I was again able to immediately select a 2nd offboard arty unit for targeting.  (Not sure if CMBS now allows one FO to select multiple arty strikes.)

34 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

I thought all mortars have the smoke rounds counted in with the HE rounds...if you use up all the HE first, you're simply out of rounds, smoke included. You have to use smoke before you burn through all the rounds available. No? Does that only apply to arty, or am I just misremembering?

That is how off-map units work.

14 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

Could you post the save game file? I made a test scenario for this issue and it's working fine in there so something else going on.

I will try to post it in a bit.

It's the first mission of the battle pack campaign "Amiens tonight".

K, so the problem is not that they won't fire. It is that the "generous" direct LOS targeting for indirect fire weapons is not applicable to the mortar once it runs out of HE ammo... 

My scenario has two panzers in a forest, kind of like two rude pigs in a blanket.

On 2/23/2017 at 0:12 AM, PzKfW said:

K, so the problem is not that they won't fire. It is that the "generous" direct LOS targeting for indirect fire weapons is not applicable to the mortar once it runs out of HE ammo... 

Did you try the test scenario I sent you? As I mentioned in the PM, it appears your issue is caused by attemping to fire the mortars through trees.

• 4 months later...