Interview with BF

LOL... I used to really be bothered by typos like that...until I proofread one of my write-ups (three times), and still missed that I'd written "through" where "threw" was what was needed. The article had one (or two?) wrong word(s) and it was only a homonym. Far better, and much more minor, than a misplaced apostrophe or double word or gibberish. I still liked the questions, the answers, and the screenshots were sharp and detailed.

Ken

LOL... I used to really be bothered by typos like that...until I proofread one of my righ-tups (tree times), and still miss that Id written "through" where "threw" was what was needed. The article had won (or too?) wrong word(s) and it was only a homo-nym. Far better, and much much minor, then a missplaced apostrophe or duble word or jibberish. I still liked the questions the answer and the screenshots were sharp and detailed

Ken

Yeah. Im pretty high on the offender list so I obviously had to interject my 31 yr old wisdom.

Btw Ken I want a rematch from my botched Brit attack. But Id prefer FB which Im loving thanks to a treasured internet friend and forum member.

Edited by Sublime

In the Interview, Steve mentioned that he had worked on a game called Onslaught. Was it this Onslaught? This was the very first board wargame that I ever cut my teeth on. In fact, I still have it and enjoy playing it to this day.

It would be funny to think that I've possibly played nearly every game that Steve has worked on. I don't have them anymore, but I've been a customer of Battlefront since they had a different name and were working with Avalon Hill. I loved playing Flight Commander, Achtung Spitfire, and Over the Reich. Anyone remember those?

By the Way, Steve if you read this, what was the title song for used for Over the Reich? It sounded similar to Glenn Miller's "In the Mood", but it was something else. Anyone else know? I've looked for it on and off for years.

pic19346_md.jpg

I remember Achtung Spitfire! and Over the Reich.  Remember European Air War and Aces Over Europe, of the Pacific?  Or the Navy SEALs game for Vietnam that was like a weird DOS 3rd person shooter that was actually pretty advanced and realistic.. at least to me at the time..

Interestingly about Glenn Millers long debated disappearance.. I just finished Masters of the Air. Highly recommend it.  The author noted a story I hadnt heard before that makes a pretty strong case that an aborting Lancaster dropped some bombs may have inadvertently destroyed the aircraft Miller was in with shockwaves from the said bombs which were called 'cookies' by their crews and were pretty huge.  Not as huge as some of the ones used in Fjords in Norway or German cities but larger than 2000 lbs ISTR.

Audgisil,

Never saw it, but I have heard of the ones you named, and I'm pretty sure some of those were available here since I arrived in January 2000. Bonus points for knowing who Glenn Miller was and "In the Mood." Speaking of Glenn Miller, did you know that the best available info is that his plane was downed by a US bomb dropped over the English Channel before returning to base? Apparently, this was standard practice.

In recognition of your excellent taste in music, may I present...

Regards,

John Kettler

JK I believe you have a British AC and bomb confused with a US one, a Lancaster dropping other bombs and one 4000 pd 'cookie' as per Donald Miller page 370 in Masters of the Air.

Fred Shaw a rear gunner on a Lanc who died in 1983 say a Norseman aircraft fall from the sky the victim apparently of concussion of their discarded bombs one of which was a cookie.

The Lancaster aborted on a daylight (which wasnt as uncommon at this point in the war as you'd think for RAF bombers) raid on marshalling yards in Germany.  They jettisoned the bombs over the English Channel.

Edited by Sublime