Waclaw, our sound hero

34 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Am curious why you use these strange compression techniques that no one else uses.  I have no .rar folders only 3x .man files (parts 1,2 and 3), and I have no idea what to do with them.  Was it a bad download??

Seems a bit odd - when I go to download these at cmmodsiii, when I mouse over the link, it says it is HQS2.5.part1_.rar

When I actually click it, it is trying to download HQS2.5.part1_.man

No idea where the .man is coming from - hard to tell as it's (supposedly) a UNIX extension. Maybe it's just a wrinkle the site is doing ?
Erwin, if you just rename them to .rar, do they work ? ( can't check myself for a few more hours )

5 hours ago, gnarly said:

Ahh, the identical packed.brz file name in each of the 3 downloads was totally confusing me....

So I think the idea is to download and unpack each brz, rename the brz to something like HQS2.3_part1.brz (or whichever part it is), then put each of the 3 brzs into your mod folder?

@gnarlyNot a all mate, don't overthink it. ;)

Simply download the three rar files, put them together in the same folder

caa7520cad19793968f7d7f2c0bdd8b2.png

Then, using Winrar, right click on "HQS2.5.part1_.rar" and select "Extract Here" (not using Winrar didn't worked for me)

5cf4b8e55fd2df1b000dcd681badc438.png

It automatically extracts all parts

8ee975307d27d88ef22abdc8355507d1.png

You then get a big fat "packed.brz" file (1.30 Gb)

267b3c9b6ea0a51c31eb68303b9b1587.png

Optionally rename the one you get to whatever you want (while keeping its extension as is) and then move that brz file to your mod folder ("C:\Users\cmfdr\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Final Blitzkrieg\User Data\Mods" here).

I believe Waclaw used the most optimal compression method here, I tried others and it made the compressed file at least 200 Mb bigger. And that he had to split his more than 1 Gb file in less than 500 Mb parts to be able to share it on CMModsIII.

As for the .man files, all I can see on CMMods III are rar files

1a426805dea91e4207749d01b82b1489.png

I'm on Win10 64bits using Chrome browser. Can you guys tell me more on your own setting so I can try to maybe figure out where the issue you are facing is?

(I'm in no way a tech guy, do have special access to things or whatever, I just love the mod and the least I can do to give a little something back to the author is to help my fellow Commanders to enjoy it too.)

Edited by CMFDR

4 hours ago, Baneman said:

Seems a bit odd - when I go to download these at cmmodsiii, when I mouse over the link, it says it is HQS2.5.part1_.rar

When I actually click it, it is trying to download HQS2.5.part1_.man

No idea where the .man is coming from - hard to tell as it's (supposedly) a UNIX extension. Maybe it's just a wrinkle the site is doing ?
Erwin, if you just rename them to .rar, do they work ? ( can't check myself for a few more hours )

@Erwin

Seems a bit odd that they download as .man files ( which they did for me too ), but I can confirm that if you rename them to .rar, they will unpack successfully.

Weird :blink:

Edited by Baneman

I am on PC.  I downloaded all 3 files again.. tried renaming them .rar and opened to get a .brz file.  Copied all three to another folder - so may be ok.  Is one supposed to explode the .brz files into one folder or leave the three .brz files as they are in one folder?  I note that you names all three files identically, so they want to overwrite each other.  Presumably one needs to rename them 1, 2 and 3???  (You didn't make this very easy or intuitive, didya?)

Is HQS 2.5 good for all other CM2 WW2 titles?  What about CMSF, CMA and CMBS?

Edited by Erwin

6 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I am on PC.  I downloaded all 3 files again.. tried renaming them .rar and opened to get a .brz file.  Copied all three to another folder - so may be ok.  Is one supposed to explode the .brz files into one folder or leave the three .brz files as they are in one folder?

Just use WinRAR to extract the first file - it will unpack all 3 into one brz file ( same as multiple volume zip files etc. )

Edit : yes, PC too. No idea why they are coming down from cmmods as .man files though.

Edited by Baneman

25 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I am on PC.  I downloaded all 3 files again.. tried renaming them .rar and opened to get a .brz file.  Copied all three to another folder - so may be ok.  Is one supposed to explode the .brz files into one folder or leave the three .brz files as they are in one folder?  I note that you names all three files identically, so they want to overwrite each other.  Presumably one needs to rename them 1, 2 and 3???  (You didn't make this very easy or intuitive, didya?)

Again, only extract the first one, the others will be handled automatically by Winrar. Uncompressing each files will not work. I'm not sure how else it can be explained as the procedure is nothing new, however I'm not in your shoes man.

Only to, hopefully, make it easier to enjoy for whom have troubles with parted rar files, I've uploaded the mod uncut and simply compressed to zip (that Windows can open it alone from back to XP):

http://superdupontzeserveur.fr/cm/HQS205.zip (1.1 Gb)

In here you'll get a file named "HQS2.5.brz", which is identical to the original "packed.brz", just move it to your mod folder, as recommended by Battlefront in the manual, and you are good to go.

28 minutes ago, Erwin said:

POSTED BY: WACLAW 22ND MAY 2016

HQS 2.5 is a Huge sound modification for CM Battle for Normandy/ CM Red Thunder/ CM Fortress Italy/CM Final Blitzkrieg

That's from the mod page on CMMods III.

As for CMBS, there is HQS 2.03 : http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=2659

On CMSF and CMA, as far as I know it's not the same engine so I'm not quite sure it's compatible.

Hope it helps! ;)

lols!

Many thanks for clearing that up CMFDR. I think it was working all the time, but i was still trying to physically extract each one separately.. I haven't used WinRAR in years, so I'll blame it on failing cognitive processes.....  ;D

Indeed for a laugh I put just one of the RAR files in a folder by itself, and when one trys to extract, WINRAR shows a 'Processing Volume' prompt, looking for the related volumes.

Thank you CMFDR - that was much easier - much better to have one file rather than all that extracting technique that didn't seem to work (for me at least).

My other question is which CM titles is this sounds mod good for - all the WW2 titles?  (Alternatively, which CM titles is it NOT appropriate for?)

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Thank you CMFDR - that was much easier - much better to have one file rather than all that extracting technique that didn't seem to work (for me at least).

My other question is which CM titles is this sounds mod good for - all the WW2 titles?  (Alternatively, which CM titles is it NOT appropriate for?)

Quote:

HQS 2.5 is a Huge sound modification for CM Battle for Normandy/ CM Red Thunder/ CM Fortress Italy/CM Final Blitzkrieg

It may lengthen a bit the time it takes for the game to load, maybe, possibly, depending on your PC specs (I assume that large RAM, decent processor and an SSD drive might help), other than that it's all the same format as far as I can tell so I think there should be no "performance" loss during gameplay.

On 5/24/2016 at 4:29 AM, Trooper117 said:

I'm assuming this will only work with winrar, because it just won't unpack properly with 7-zip...

I cannot get 7zip to work on anything for some reason.  Every file it says 'may be corrupted' or something like that.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2016 at 1:56 PM, Swant said:

Does a big sound mod like this impact performance in a big way?

It will likely affect initial game loading time.  All mods add time to load at start-up.  After that, I've never experienced any game-play performance impacts.  This is a superlative sound mod!  It's has positively impacted my gaming experience in a huge way.  Download, extract, enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm trying to figure if the mod did change the intro/loading screen music. After installing this mod, and a few other (juju/icon..) the menu/loading screen music is from Pacific - Band of Brothers.

Is it possible to keep it for starting menu, and to use the original music for the loading screen?

4 hours ago, Nike Laos said:

Hello,

I'm trying to figure if the mod did change the intro/loading screen music. After installing this mod, and a few other (juju/icon..) the menu/loading screen music is from Pacific - Band of Brothers.

Is it possible to keep it for starting menu, and to use the original music for the loading screen?

Hello Nike Laos,

I think you might need to explode the rez file to do so :

- from your "C:\Users\*****\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Final Blitzkrieg\User Data\Mods" folder, cut "zHQS_205.brz" file ;

- paste it in your ".\Battlefront\Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg\Mod Tools\RezExplode\input" folder ;

- go back one level up to your ".\Battlefront\Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg\Mod Tools\RezExplode" folder, then double-click on "RezExplode.exe". Just wait a few moments until an “exploded” folder appears. Inside there you’ll find the contents of the .brz file you just exploded. The files inside the “exploded” folder are the ones you’ll want to consider modding, and later repacking using RezPack. (Reference: CM Engine Manual v3.01.pdf, page 116.) Please note that is not mandatory, brz files are simply loaded last, thus have priority over any file. Unless you have another soldier names mod, don't worry about that right now ;

- now cut that extracted "hqs 2.5" folder and paste it back to your "C:\Users\*****\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Final Blitzkrieg\User Data\Mods" folder. It's then ready to be modified as you think best. The files you are looking for are located in your "\hqs 2.5\music" folder by the way.

(Si nécessaire, contacte-moi en MP et je te décrirai la manip en français.)