Op MINIMISE - New Mission

Hi gents,

Keeping the CM flame burning, I have uploaded a new mission to the Scenario Depot called Op MINIMISE.

This is the spiel

'This is a fictional but representative depiction of the hard choices and severe constraints faced by small units operating in Helmand Province Afghanistan in the early iterations of the British presence there. The map is of real terrain in the area indicated by the mapping. My motives for putting this together were, apart from paying tribute to the brave men and women who served in that dangerous place, to design a short but fun and challenging mission. It is easy to win but really you should strive for a Total Victory to do it justice. I hope you enjoy it.'

Here are some briefing graphics:

Op Map.jpg

Tac Map.jpg

59 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Looks interesting... almost convinced me want to re-install CMSF.. ...almost. ;) 

You know you want to Bill ... although testing it nearly drove me mad ... why?  You can't turn trees off in CMSF - amazing what a big difference some small things make.

Anyway for the rest of the folks it has been successfully uploaded and you can get it here:

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2/cm-shock-force/op-minimise/

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:25 PM, Combatintman said:

Hope you enjoy it - and hopefully it will get you in the mood to try another one I'm working on.

I'd be happy to.

As far as Op MINIMISE goes:

I think I've already failed this mission, I've taken 4 casualties and expended quite a bit of ammo, and with 29 minutes left on the clock I've barely even reached the compound objective. This mission is almost a perfect blend of the need for speed and security outweighing normal tactical considerations. I definitely feel like I'm being punished for fighting "properly", I guess I'm not cut out for 21st Century warfare. :unsure:

Don't think you've failed yet although you're probably close on the margins. Designing this so that it sat at an hour or less and getting the VPs right were the biggest challenges in putting this one together. I'm facing similar problems with the one I'm currently working on although it is much bigger in scope.

I just Downloaded it this morning so you should now show 25 DL's.  ;)   I read through the briefing and it appears very well done.  I understand what I must do, my available forces, time frame and my commanders intent.  (What more could I ask for besides a few Challenger tanks:P)  

I can't remember now ......... is it possible to increase the font size in the briefing or is it one of those CM things we are just stuck with.  I know it's my problem, I need new prescriptions, but there are probably many CM players that would benefit if it was possible to bump up the font size a bit.  

I will complete my IPB and then cross the line of departure this evening when I am back in the house.  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

9 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I just Downloaded it this morning so you should now show 25 DL's.  ;)   I read through the briefing and it appears very well done.  I understand what I must do, my available forces, time frame and my commanders intent.  (What more could I ask for besides a few Challenger tanks:P)  

I can't remember now ......... is it possible to increase the font size in the briefing or is it one of those CM things we are just stuck with.  I know it's my problem, I need new prescriptions, but there are probably many CM players that would benefit if it was possible to bump up the font size a bit.  

I will complete my IPB and then cross the line of departure this evening when I am back in the house.  

I think somebody did a Mod that allowed you to increase text size but I have no idea where it is.

*********** SPOILER ALERT *******************************

Assault teams from the Loamshire Regiment bound forward.  (Sorry, forgot to turn off the floating icons in this shot)

Op%20Minimize%20Bounding%20Teams_zpsznm1

Mortar Fire Controller calls in air bursts over an irrigation ditch. 

Op%20Minimize%20Calling%20in%20mortar%20

Base team provides fire support while assault teams bound forward.

Op%20Minimize%20Overwatch_zps4hqt6fzo.jp

Tango down!!!!

Op%20Minimize%20Tango%20Down_zpsljymtfre

/////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////

SPOILER 

SPOILER 

/////////////////////////////////////////

A Company / 1st Loamshire SitRep 1420Hrs.

Lead sections are approximately 100 meters southeast of the objective compound.

1 friendly casualty.

13 confirmed OpFor KIA

Sgt. Jones, the Mortar Fire Controller, is shredding the OpFor with airburst rounds.

SitMap

Op%20Minimize%20SitMap%201420Hrs_zpsbqwx

Edited by MOS:96B2P

////////////////////////////// SPOILER ///////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////// SPOILER //////////////////////////////////////////////

SitMap 1440Hrs.  

1st Platoon has entered west end of objective compound.

1 friendly casualty.

19 confirmed OpFor KIAs

Op%20Minimize%20SitMap%201440Hrs_zpssxoc

Loamshire fire teams popped smoke to cross from one irrigation ditch to another while moving on objective.

Op%20Minimize%20Pop%20Smoke_zps5puzf8ph.   

///////////////////////// SPOILER ////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER /////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// SPOILER /////////////////////////////////////////// 

Great scenario.  Very well done.  I thought for awhile I would secure the objective with some time remaining.  As it turned out I took the last two buildings on the east end of the objective in the last minute.  Very close.  Below is the AAR map and screens.  

Op%20Minimize%20AAR%20SitMap_zpszxz4gki1

I don't know why the OpFor show 18 MIAs???  I didn't take any POWs.  

Op%20Minimize%20AAR%201_zps2so0nes2.jpg

Op%20Minimize%20AAR%202_zpsmdd3xarr.jpg

Op%20Minimize%20AAR%203_zpsg2ybypol.jpg

Again this is a very nice size scenario and fun to play.  It can be accomplished in one sitting.  I highly recommend it.   

Mate - that was an awesome AAR and an awesome result playing it straight out of the box. In your earlier post where you said you were closing in on the compound objective with 20 minutes on the clock I was really surprised but in the end your result pretty much mirrored my final pre-release scenario test in that it went right to the wire with timings. Consequently I am very pleased indeed that this scenario is performing exactly as I intended.

It is possible to succeed using other routes but one in particular is more difficult and having played it once I suspect you know which route that would be. There is another AI plan which adds difficulties to the route that you took - mind you, you may have been on the receiving end of that one but just be a more competent player than I am:D.

Thanks for giving it a spin and thanks for your comments - I am glad you enjoyed it because that is really the main motive for making these things.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know that I probably won't be around here for the remainder of the month due to work commitments so please don't think that any comments you may make in that time on this mission are being ignored. The good news is that if I get some free time I will be working on some of my other CMSF projects.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, borg said:

Just finished this with a British Army total victory ! Out of curiosity / what is collateral damage in this scenario ? Hitting my own forces by mistake ? Very well made & done op :)

Collateral damage = Preserve objectives for the British player which means that if you destroy stuff that shouldn't be destroyed you will incur a point penalty. 

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Most of the compounds are 'collateral damage' objectives.

Ok ! That makes sense... I still kicked @$$ at a small price of damaging a compound or two. These type of ops and missions are great. I also realized it was an infantry-only mission. Looking forward to more man.

On 4/12/2016 at 3:11 PM, Bil Hardenberger said:

Looks interesting... almost convinced me want to re-install CMSF.. ...almost. ;) 

Don't entice yourself to the "Dark-Side"...Stay WWII :)

Edited by JoMc67