Have some doubts about the game, can someone help?

- Sides are US Army (no USMC I think, right?), Russia and Ukraine. There are not ragtag insurgents so we can play russian separatists?

- Is there any expansion planned adding new armies?

- Is possible to create own battles choosing own and enemy troops? And Red Vs Red? And is possible to choose/build the map and select light and weather conditions.

- How the game simulates the urban combat? Is possible to open breaches on walls, jump walls, assault buildings?

I'm interested in simulating rebels vs rebels combats in urban terrain. For simulating small combats like Nagorno or Georgia.

Thanks!

1. No insurgents but there's a mod that lets you add them on a per-mission basis. Not a perfect solution though.

2. Yes and future expansions will add USMC too (or so the game's plot hints)

3. Yes you can either do "quick battles" (but the programming for AI is quite simple, although still a challenge) that allow Red vs Red, Blue vs Blue or you can use an Editor that lets you create whatever battle you want, with more advanced AI plans, even mixing Red/Blue forces on one side.

4. Yes. You can suppress a building, stopping a fire from it, then blow a hole in its wall (in fact that's a preferred solution as that suppresses the enemy inside and they don't expect such entry) - provided the squad in question has explosives (usually engineers). Buildings are fully destructible too, but it has a rather simple presentation.

Please beware that the game does not was not designed to reflect the the current and near-past situation but is a simulation of near-future conflict. That being said you certainly do red on red or blue on blue quick battles. I think the demo has one infantry on infantry urban battle. If it is the one I am thinking of it is a lot of fun!

According to BFC the next expansion will feature US Marines, Redfor VDV and probably more US, Russian and UKR forces. I am voting for the Polish army to make an appearance. Interesting mix of western and russian equipment.

10 hours ago, Stratos said:

- Sides are US Army (no USMC I think, right?), Russia and Ukraine. There are not ragtag insurgents so we can play russian separatists?

- Is there any expansion planned adding new armies?

- Is possible to create own battles choosing own and enemy troops? And Red Vs Red? And is possible to choose/build the map and select light and weather conditions.

- How the game simulates the urban combat? Is possible to open breaches on walls, jump walls, assault buildings?

I'm interested in simulating rebels vs rebels combats in urban terrain. For simulating small combats like Nagorno or Georgia.

Thanks!

1. There's a series of planned expansions.  The ones that are very likely are: 

a. USMC
b. Some other NATO countries (might or might not be rolled up in a NATO expansion, or released as individual countries, historically it's been a bit of both)
c. Likely VDV and Russian Naval Infantry
d. Some sort of unconventional forces, likely both Ukrainian and Russian

Nothing has been announced.  However the last modern Combat mission included USMC, UK, and NATO expansions, and each of those also included updates to the base game's forces.  

2. There's a "quick battle" option that lets you choose the map, weather conditions, time of day, and specific forces down to the squad and individual vehicle level.  It also lets you do any force vs any force (US vs Ukraine, Russia vs Russia, US vs US etc).  

3. It does urban combat pretty well.  You can open breaches in walls with properly equipped squads, or shoot holes in walls with tanks.  Troops will hop fences, and assaulting buildings is simulated (although building interiors are abstracted, so it's not like you're guiding squads room to room or something).

4. There's no unconventional forces yet.  However you can do a reasonable job using Russian and Ukrainian forces to simulate rebel forces vs rebel forces.  

If you want to play Russian Separatists, I did a scenario that includes the modded uniforms (Blimey's mod, included with his kind permission).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vauw5y8e084hdeq/Neighbours%20From%20Hell%21.zip?dl=0

Actually the above is an old version. The final version is in the Repository...

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=3583

Edited by Cpl Steiner

On 4/9/2016 at 9:58 AM, Abbasid111 said:

Please beware that the game does not was not designed to reflect the the current and near-past situation but is a simulation of near-future conflict.

Correct.  The game was basically already done by the time Russia invaded for real.  And yes, we lodged a complaint with Putin about his timing but we were ignored :) We adjusted the backstory a little to account for what was already happening on the ground, but it was too late to introduce "Uncons" (as we called them in CMSF) into the game.  Though we always planned on doing that because even our original backstory had "separatist" forces popping up just like they wound up doing in real life.

On 4/9/2016 at 9:58 AM, Abbasid111 said:

According to BFC the next expansion will feature US Marines, Redfor VDV and probably more US, Russian and UKR forces. I am voting for the Polish army to make an appearance. Interesting mix of western and russian equipment.

Yes, all sorts of possibilities exist.  Like Shock Force most of the possibilities are on the Blue Force side simply because most of the Red Force has been fully simulated.  The exception are "Separatists".  Like Shock Force we are thinking of four types:

1.  "Volunteers" (Ukrainian or Russian) with no significant or recent military experience at best.  Poor fighters, poor equipment, light infantry.

2.  "Vacationers" from Russia who are effectively active military fighting outside of their normal peace time units.  Better fighters, better equipment, sometimes mechanization.

3.  "Green Men" which are active Russian military in every way, but leaving some of their "toys" back in Russia for deniability reasons.  Best fighters, best equipment, fully mechanized.

4.  Spies which are civilians that gather intel for either Russian or Ukrainian sides.  Not fighters.

Of course things from the Red Force inventory can be mixed in such as UAVs, T-90s, BTR-82A, and other things which have been see in Ukraine already.  It's just by default the Separatists shouldn't have this sort of stuff.

Steve

Spies?

Maybe Modelled as light/unarmed infantry that are independent of setup zone? Otherwise they'd just be really crappy recon.

But,  it would be good to add civilians.  That would make for some truly interesting scenarios,  as well as open the possibility of VIPs. 

I could see a town hall taken over by separatists,  with staff as hostages. 

Oh what dreams may come.... 

If you're interested enough in modern war to be concerned about militia fighters you're probably interested enough in modern war to need this game, militia fighters or not. :)

CMBS basegame  represents high intensity First World conflict. Still, you could easily use the editor to build a scenario involving a small number of green low morale infantry fighting over possession of a highway gas station (the game even comes with highway tiles and a gas pump for the map). Frankly, a lot of players after they've exhausted themselves playing drone and supertanks, artillery and ATGMs like nothing better than to play a nice simple small-scale infantry dust-up.

About building your own scenario. Its not exactly something to try the first day you've got the game. But CM players tend to find themselves in it for  the long haul (its been 16(!) years for me, I think) so the necessary skills will develop.

Edited by MikeyD

Heh... yeah, gotta keep it fairly simple.

In CMSF we had "Spies" so they would work the same.  IMHO it is a pretty slick way of handling it.  The player positions the Spy where he thinks it can gather good intel and hopefully not get noticed.  Stationary in a corner building, for example.

Spies follow very special spotting rules.  By default the other side cannot see it even under normal spotting circumstances.  As long as the Spy doesn't "attract attention" to himself all is fine.  Running or being within a few meters of a combat unit, and the like, run the risk of the Spy losing his invisibility.  Once visible he's put into the target queue as a high valued target.  Meaning lots of people will start shooting at 'em ;)  The player controlling the Spy never knows the visibility status and is never really sure what might trigger being spotted.  This causes the controlling player to use the Spy very conservatively or risk losing him completely.

Steve

I remember the reason why the WWII titles didn't get 'spies' was because in WWII Europe the spies would have had no way of relaying info across the lines. He couldn't exactly pull out his cell phone and call Omar Bradley. In modern war cell phone spies (and IEDs) are so ubiquitous that patrols often bring along their portable cell phone jammers to help simplify their lives. Oh, which reminds me. The game comes with ECM jamming too. Crank it up to max and you're practically back in the stone age.  :D 

Yup!  Spies back then were great for communicating things like troop movements and positions which preceded an attack rather than came in during one.  The exception would be an example like a Allied unit entering a French village and people telling them "a German tank went down this street with 20 soldiers and they went off to the east".  That sort of thing did happen sometimes, but due to the nature of combat it's not like civilians would be out in the streets in the middle of a 45 min firefight.  At least not on a regular basis.

Steve

I was reluctant to get this game because of the steep price, but after playing all possibles demos I decided to get CM:BS and I do not regret it at all. Honestly with amount of time I have already sunk in I am looking at something like less than 0.50 $ for a hour of entertainment, good deal if you ask me.

I have played tons of RTS, started as early as Duna2 and I can find no other with this level of engaging gameplay. The infantry warfare is much more complex than anything else I ever saw in other games; limited field of vision, every soldier aims independently, there is no automatic "fog-of-war" removal - units only see what they can see and use radios to communicate enemy positions, soldiers carry and use equipment individually, morale ~like in total war :D... With such attention to details every casualty feels a bit dramatic and much more personal. You really do everything to get all men back home and losing half of your force does not feel like a victory at all, even if enemy is all dead.

I started to play with a friend and we have a blast setting up scenarios like check point raid or AA hunt. With relatively small forces platoon to company on big maps. With that skin changing mode and some limitations on what vehicles you pick, you can really feel the rebel vibe. I love it. I love when my friend whines that my tank is upgraded version and I call it western anti-Russian propaganda :D