CMFB questions

Greetings

I was taking a look to the firsts maps of the game, and one of the first is about Singling fight.

If I double click the HQ infantry icon and I can select the formations in C2. But the same thing doesn't work with the HQ tank. I was wondering why this happens. It is simulating a real thing?

otti9ut.jpg

It is not a complain about anything, I'm just curious about why this happens

Sorry If this was discussed before. A link to the discussion will be great. Thanks' for help and answers.

Regards

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPOILER DIE PATROUILLE

I tried this tactic in mission "die Patrouille", but didn't work : Using the mortar fire and the Panzerschreck ammo to damage the first building, make a hole in the wall and assault it through.

Unfortunately, most of the mortar projectiles went off target (even if it was a preplanned mission) and when I fired all the Panzerschreck ammo against the wall (five shots) it was still standing

D83qMBb.jpg

Anybody with another original plan or idea to win this one without big loses ?

When I was in front of the house wall, some soldiers jumped over the small wall and exposed themselves. Very  frightening...

iz1gL8u.jpg

regards

Edited by Vencini

6 hours ago, Vencini said:

If I double click the HQ infantry icon and I can select the formations in C2. But the same thing doesn't work with the HQ tank. I was wondering why this happens. It is simulating a real thing?

otti9ut.jpg

Yeah sometimes it would be nice to be able to jump from the company HQ tank to each of the platoons.  As far as I can tell it is just a limitation of the UI.

17 minutes ago, Vencini said:

I tried this tactic in mission "die Patrouille", but didn't work : Using the mortar fire and the Panzerschreck ammo to damage the first building, make a hole in the wall and assault it through.

I suppose that might work but it is not very efficient.  Do you have any demo charges?  That is the best way to breach a wall.

17 minutes ago, Vencini said:

When I was in front of the house wall, some soldiers jumped over the small wall and exposed themselves. Very  frightening...

Yeah that can be.  They do that from time to time, mostly when crowded like that.  One thing you can do is split teams and have only one in the corner of the walls and have the other team along the wall one action square away.  That will really help.

@Vencini I just completed that mission.  It took about 4 spotting rounds to get close to the buildings, including 1 only 25m from my observer team, and 1 that took out a squad member... ;(

As @IanL suggests, splitting teams is thoroughly recommended. For this mission I split by Assault, so each squad split into a maneuvre team (with grenades) and fire team (with MG).

Without demo or breaching charges [or a tank!] (which are what you need to hole walls) , I used my fire teams to heavily suppress the buildings for at least a minute, whilst moving the maneuvre teams as close as possible. Then time their assault into the building to coincide with the end of your suppression fire.

Likely still to be bloody, but thats urban warfare.. I think it's a great little training mission for just that, using raw organic squad firepower..

Good luck!

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Yeah sometimes it would be nice to be able to jump from the company HQ tank to each of the platoons.  As far as I can tell it is just a limitation of the UI.

Aye. It has been ever thus. Vehicles need to have the ammo/systems/armour triad of tabs in the place where infantry HQs can have their subordinates listed.

SPOILER THE SIEGFRIED LINE

I'm not proud using this tactic in "die Siegfried Line". I think is a gamey tactic, and I feel I'm not acting like a "pro player". Some advices about another ways to play it, like "real life" will be welcome. For example, you don't have to send your soldiers into a defended minefield... I think I took this bad habit playing CMRT with russians...

The way I'm doing that one is using an explore team in front, discover the minefield, then the ones who follow pop smoke...It's kind of "octopus" tactic... It's working, but I feel advancing on the edge and this way it's a shame comparing with the AAR of pro players here...

o2sNCPv.jpg

I read the rules page 121 about minefields, and this scenario is a great one to learn how to deal with them. My question is if is better to cross them in two little groups or a big one. There are less chances to activate the minefield if they are divided in two little groups ? How do you deal with it ? What's your experience with them ?

Another experience with engineers. In the same WEGO turn, I opened a hole in the wall with a team of engineers. I gave the order of assault the building to a second team BUT with a pause order. When they tried to enter through it, the wall was still "there" for them. They turned the corner and were killed . So I had to wait until next turn, and give the order. This way the breach is "there" for the second group.

7mP9DkT.jpg

Thanks for the advices and responses @IanL, @gnarly and in special to  @Vanir Ausf B because I didn't knew that about HQ tanks. I take my hat off to you, sir

Good weekend and regards!

Edited by Vencini

36 minutes ago, Vencini said:

Another experience with engineers. In the same WEGO turn, I opened a hole in the wall with a team of engineers. I gave the order of assault the building to a second team BUT with a pause order. When they tried to enter through it, the wall was still "there" for them. They turned the corner and were killed . So I had to wait until next turn, and give the order. This way the breach is "there" for the second group.

Did the second team begin moving before or after the wall was blown?

Generally splitting squads is a good idea if you are getting close to the enemy. But you need to make sure that they are still in good range to their HQ or they will get brittle.

Minefields can only be found when your are in the same AS as the mine. There are two ways to find them: stepping on one or spotting them. Chances rise for both methods if you put more men in the spot but since you usually don't want to kill your men smaller teams and patience are the better choice. Experience and being an engineer helps. Also slow or hunt are very much advised.

I think your analysis why the pathing went wrong for the engineers is correct. It may also be that the building has been accidentally sunk into the ground a bit. I'll check and see if that needs to be fixed.

The scenario is intentionally a bit cramped to limit the possible choices. So hugging the border is not bad style (btw it is never: it is always part of the game and any commander has to take it into consideration).

Smoke is a good idea but it is not necessary to throw it in heavy forest. There visibility is already low. You'd rather want to throw it into open spaces to cut LOS for the enemy.

The units are engineers and they're better at finding the mines anyway.  I gave them hunt orders and they found them without detonating.   Didn't split the squads.   I play RT so I cancelled the hunt order when they discovered them and issued a "mark mines" order.

Edited to add: once I breached the wire, I gave one squad a slow order with a face towards the corner of the building then had them pop smoke.  After the smoke spread, I ran them up to breach the wall as you did, then quick ordered the remainder of the platoon into the building through the breach.  Pathing, yeah it can be frustrating, so the remaining  squad and platoon leader were ordered to the breach and a subsequent order into the building.  Again, I play RT so I don't know how well all of the above would work in wego.

Edited by Agua

I played this scenario earlier today - I like it quite a bit!

I broke a scout team off of two engineer squads and sent them forward at "move" speed to find the mines. (Right next to each other, near where you sent your guys). 

Once they found some mines, I send the remainder of each squad forward to mark the mines, and then sent the scouts on up to blast two lines of wire with my demo charges.  I then sent one scout forward to breach the wall of the hotel, but when I sent the other scout to join him in the hotel, he went through the front door rather than the breach...as did a couple of other guys.  To make sure that they used the breach, I had to route them through the end of the breach as far away from the door as I could - otherwise, they seem to prefer to just use the door.

23 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

Did the second team begin moving before or after the wall was blown?

Thanks for answers and sorry for the delay.

There is no problem with this. I repeated the turn. First team opened a hole in the wall, the second, after a pause of 45 seconds entered through it. So no problem at all. They took another path the first time I played this game (mysteries of CM) and I thought It was a WEGO/ wall thing. 

It was just my bad luck

So no problem at all. Thanks for answers and advises.

Regards

SPOILER SIEGFRIED LINE

I have turned on impact text (alt+H), but when I hit the big bunker with bazooka projectiles, no text pop up like before (bunkers are occupied) ... This is new ?

8xAU56h.jpg

Most of my fire bounds in the bunker side, but I have the impression that when the German infantry in second plane fires at me, it pass through the bunker (at least most of his shots) I read that bunkers are treated like vehicles, and you can fire trough your own vehicles but not trough enemy vehicles. It is like that ?

Very difficult situation because they have a very good cover but not me.

regards

Edited by Vencini

Thanks, glad you like it! But also thank @Combatintman - his testing was invaluable.

The only text I've ever gotten from a bunker is a penetration when you manage to hit the opening from the front. I'm also not sure how far you get with the bazookas. Satchel charges are the way to go. Just put an engineer reasonably close to the bunker. No need to target.

You are sure they fire through the bunker? There is also trench to the right in the background. You could receive fire from there, too.

28 minutes ago, poesel said:

You are sure they fire through the bunker? There is also trench to the right in the background. You could receive fire from there, too.

I had this experience as well.  Tracer fire was coming through the side of the bunker.  I was like WTF?!

BTW, this is one tough nut.  I have restarted and saved I don't know how many times.  After clearing the hotel and approaching the pillbox from the right, I just get beaten back.  I've tried using every unit's smoke simultaneously to create a large cloud, and still just get beaten down by the Germans in the trench on the opposite side of the tracks.

11 minutes ago, Agua said:

I had this experience as well.  Tracer fire was coming through the side of the bunker.  I was like WTF?!

BTW, this is one tough nut.  I have restarted and saved I don't know how many times.  After clearing the hotel and approaching the pillbox from the right, I just get beaten back.  I've tried using every unit's smoke simultaneously to create a large cloud, and still just get beaten down by the Germans in the trench on the opposite side of the tracks.

So try a different route maybe ...?