Possible bug with the shell explode after ricochet from enemy armor in CMFB

I recall in the latest update of CMBN and CMRT, the AP shell(with charge) will not explode when hit the ground after ricochet from enemy armor, and this is one of the very important improvement in the new update.  But in the CMFB, this improvement is missing, the ricochet again explode when hit the ground and hurt infantry in a very long distance. So, a Bug?

3 hours ago, Erwin.Rommel said:

I recall in the latest update of CMBN and CMRT, the AP shell(with charge) will not explode when hit the ground after ricochet from enemy armor, and this is one of the very important improvement in the new update.  But in the CMFB, this improvement is missing, the ricochet again explode when hit the ground and hurt infantry in a very long distance. So, a Bug?

Yes I remember seeing this happen a lot in CMBN - especially annoying that it seemed to hurt infantry at even longer ranges than mortar shell explosions. Seemed like the AP shells were behaving like fragmentation shells. I haven't seen it happen any more in CMBN after latest patches though, so maybe somebody forgot to carry over this fix to CMFB.

A number of types of AP shot in use carried small bursting charges, but I don't have a list of which ones. Plus, I wonder if the initial ricochetting strike should be enough to detonate them. In any event, I wouldn't expect them to be powerful enough to do more damage to personnel than, say, a hand grenade.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

Any bursting charge should detonate pretty much immediately after a ricochet, certainly before the looping shell hits apogee. I'm dubious that if the near-instantaneous deceleration of supersonic-down-to-lazy-parabola against armour doesn't set off the delay fuse, the final stop at the much, much more yielding ground would do the trick. Delay fuses are meant to have the round detonate one or two shell lengths past the armour they penetrate, after all.

In early versions of BN, I've had a 57mm ricochet take out 3 of 4 engineers (though it did drop right in the middle of the team), and a 57mm treeburst (after it had been used to snipe at an infantry target in an upper storey barn) kill another soldier a good 50m from the ground zero of the burst. I thought those days were gone for good.

12 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

A number of types of AP shot in use carried small bursting charges, but I don't have a list of which ones. Plus, I wonder if the initial ricochetting strike should be enough to detonate them. In any event, I wouldn't expect them to be powerful enough to do more damage to personnel than, say, a hand grenade.

Michael

"Ricocheting APHE will not explode where it finally lands (the fuse is considered damaged)"

This is an important fix which was specifically mentioned in the readme of the 1.01update of CMRT(also in CMBN).