Download speed disparity

Welcome to the cloud. You're probably looking at a combination of multiple different download sites combined with a sudden spike in download activity. It went from nobody downloading the game to EVERYBODY downloading the game like *that* (snaps fingers).

The cloud is a mysterious thing.  We let the files propagate for several days so we wouldn't run into the problem we've run into with past releases.  Namely the files being in one farm and not having been moved around the world (which is how the cloud gets people speed).

What we've discovered is that the very large file sizes causes inbetween services some heartburn.  Meaning, User 1 and User 2 have the same theoretical bandwidth, but something between the server and User 1 throttles the speed while User 2 has no such problem.  In particular we've noticed *most* of the speed throttling happens to our Australian customers.  "Poor baaaaastads!" is a good phrase for them :(  However, we've had people in metropolitan US areas, like outside of Baltimore and even someone in Silicon Valley, that had problems, so it isn't an Aussie thing only.

Generally the speed throttling seems to be consistent.  If User 1 falls victim to it for Game A, it's usually the same deal with Game B provided both are fairly large (larger than 4-5 GB seems to be when things get dicey).

While this is not good, obviously, it was far worse in the past when we had smaller files but only 1-2 dedicated server.  We'd never survive with that sort of arrangement again.

Steve

P.S.  as a guy who is lucky to get 1mbs and has a 10gb monthly cap, I can't say that I'm overly sympathetic on a personal level.  Then again, I don't live in the wilderness because I want a fast internet connection :D

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

The cloud is a mysterious thing.  We let the files propagate for several days so we wouldn't run into the problem we've run into with past releases.  Namely the files being in one farm and not having been moved around the world (which is how the cloud gets people speed).

What we've discovered is that the very large file sizes causes inbetween services some heartburn.  Meaning, User 1 and User 2 have the same theoretical bandwidth, but something between the server and User 1 throttles the speed while User 2 has no such problem.  In particular we've noticed *most* of the speed throttling happens to our Australian customers.  "Poor baaaaastads!" is a good phrase for them :(  However, we've had people in metropolitan US areas, like outside of Baltimore and even someone in Silicon Valley, that had problems, so it isn't an Aussie thing only.

Generally the speed throttling seems to be consistent.  If User 1 falls victim to it for Game A, it's usually the same deal with Game B provided both are fairly large (larger than 4-5 GB seems to be when things get dicey).

While this is not good, obviously, it was far worse in the past when we had smaller files but only 1-2 dedicated server.  We'd never survive with that sort of arrangement again.

Steve

P.S.  as a guy who is lucky to get 1mbs and has a 10gb monthly cap, I can't say that I'm overly sympathetic on a personal level.  Then again, I don't live in the wilderness because I want a fast internet connection :D

I am in San Francisco and I'm trapped at 600kb speed too :( And other 3 hrs to go then.