gdbf01

Vehicle Pack & Battle Pack Installation

I've just purchased the Vehicle Patch and the Battle Pack for CMBN for my Windows 7 installation of CMBN. I installed each one, loading CMBN following each install. However, neither installation is recognized by the game. Following the install of both the Vehicle Patch then the Battle Pack, the scenarios are still greyed out and the pop-up message says I need either the Vehicle Patch or the Battle Pack, depending on the scenarios. Interestingly I was not asked to activate the game after each install, which I expected to have to do. I ensured the installation went into the existing CMBN installation directory, and there were no anomalies indicated during the install. Any ideas on what else I need to do to get the modules running? By the by, I've had CMBN for quite a while now, so it's not a new installation; just the Battle and Vehicle packs.

Thanks.

Edited by gdbf01

You say that you were not asked to activate after each install ... so have you not run the activate new products shortcut??

I'd guess that if you do that for each of the two packs and use their keys in turn, that will unlock them so you can use them ...

Well, ok, I'm trying to do that, but I'm getting a "Bad Format" message in the Activate Window screen. I'm copying it directly from my account window at BF and pasting (making sure there are no extra spaces) and I get that message when I click OK. Not sure where to proceed from here.

You're using the content of the "Licence key" part of your order info?

That should work, AFAIK: perhaps try copying and pasting the key (though should be the same) from the confirmation email you get after ordering?

See if that works any better?

Despite the apparent Format error, the process itself *is* what you need to do, I suspect ...

Edit: you do not need the SKU bit of the reference in your account info, just the key itself ... and you do need to use the two keys in separate runs of the activate window, not both together (apologies if this last bit is obvious to you, but just thought I'd add it given what you say about the format error, ie there may be too many digits in the key you are trying ...)

Edited by PhilM
clarity

Hey Phil and thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated.

Yes, I was pretty careful in choosing/selecting the key. I do a highlight, then copy/paste into a Notebook file so it's saved to my HD in the same folder as I store the program file. I double checked these before trying to install them for extra spaces or missing characters, but they seem ok. Additionally, I re-copied them from my accounts file this morning to make sure I had the latest versions of those (assuming they changed at all). Now these purchases date back to 2013, so I'm wondering if the new installers have something to do with this? I finally did a reboot to see if that would help, but it didn't. Now, I bought the CMBN:MG bundle originally, then updated to V3.0 later when it came out. It's that V3.0 that I'm trying to activate. I started at V1.1 way back when, but the instructions are careful to point out that you must use the 3.0 keys. That's what's giving me the "Code Bad Format" error message. I looked to see if I could activate the Modules using their module activation programs, but I get the same message. I'm starting to wonder if I've corrupted something and need to uninstall/reinstall, but there's a lot of work involved in that at this point. Now the kicker is, CMBN runs as it is (V3.11) (but still with no Vehicle or Battle Pack modules activated) so it may be I'm getting that message because it's already activated, but then I don't know how to get the new modules I got today activated. There are no separate activation programs for those that I can see. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.

Edited by gdbf01

On a PC there is an activate short cut that gets created in the same program group as the game. Run that and give it one module or pack key. Then run it again with another until everything you bought is active. It goes not quite sound like you have done that yet. If I miss read and you have or doing that does not help then that sounds like a job for support...

Hi Ian,

OK, I did do that, and I thought the instructions said to put in the base V3.0 game SN, which I guess is what was giving me the bad code readings. After following your suggestion, I did (I think) get the vehicle module working. However, I've done exactly the same thing for the Battle Pack module, but it just doesn't want to activate, even though it says it has. Please see the screenshots below:

The first one shows the activation screen following the activation for the Battle Pack (Vehicle Patch was activated earlier). The second screen is the front screen showing the icons of installed modules, which I'm not sure how to interpret but maybe you know what they mean and it will give you a hint. When I am in the interface and choose a BP scenario (which are grayed out) I get the message saying I need the pack (although the name of the pack is missing) to be installed first. I've tried installing it twice and it says it's activated, but that's as far as I get. Any thoughts please?

Edited by gdbf01
Photos removed - no longer required

OK, I got it. FINALLY. As I went to reinstall (for the 3rd time) the Battle Pack module, I remembered reading somewhere here that there was an issue with the installer. It wouldn't let you choose where to install the program. As I was running the installer, I saw that was the case and when it was finished, I went looking for it. It installed one level above where the other programs are installed. So, I moved those files in and it's now working.

NOW, and this is a message direct to the people making these installers - this game requires the most convoluted and complex installations of anything I've played or installed to date. This issue I faced was a known issue way back when, and I would have thought the installer would have been upgraded so as not to trip new people up coming to the game. I do not understand why it wasn't, and this has caused me a whole lot of time that could have been put to better use. You make fabulous games - some of the best out there, but your fragmented and faulty installation procedures need to be fixed and streamlined considerably. I hope you will take this constructive criticism to heart when Blitzkrieg is released.

Thank you to Ian and Phil for your help. Your tips and ideas got me through this to where I have a working installation now. Much appreciated.

Thanks Phil. I just went through a similar deal with updating CMFI with V3.0, which updates it to V1.20 on the screen, not V3.0 (but they don't tell you that - that required a fairly lengthy search on that forum as well to find that).

I agree completely. The games are amazing and I've been buying CM games since fairly early on in the CMX1 days. They can't be beat for their playability, their realism and how well put together they are, which is why I keep coming back for more. I stand by my criticism of their installers though. They are anything but clear and really create a lot of confusion needlessly. When anyone asks me about their games, I recommend them very highly, but with the caveat about installing updates and it has put off some of my less-than-computer-savvy friends, I must admit.

Thank you again for your help. It's been very much appreciated.

Edited by gdbf01

Yep, I don't disagree about the installers etc: though things have got better with the master installer concept, where everything is in one package file, and "merely" (!) needs activating.

I also agree about the version numbers: it would be helpful if (whatever internal numbering BF use for development purposes) all the games were "badged" the same for the players, so that v3.12 (or whatever) represented the current state, and all games were so labelled when they were patched to that standard; so that users know that HMG fire, or bug x / glitch y etc is at the same state of development in each game (or not, if the version numbers aren't the same).

The release of (presumably) CMFB v1.0 is going to add another layer of version number complexity: does that match with CMBN v3.12? Or not? Etc, etc for the other titles ...

Let me start by saying I am glad you got things working. I agree that the "install where *it* wants" with the battle pack is annoying and I posted the solution a while back. That is a bit of a step back wards.

The version numbering is fixed. The game has a version number and the engine has a version number. CMFI is just the last one to get an update to the new system.

The all in one installer for CMBN fixed the fiddly install process and we now have a clear version number. I would imagine the next module for CMFI will sort it out.

So, it is a bit of a drag that the battle pack installer picked an arbitrary directory to install to.