UI - KinoMod 2.0 WIP

I'm working on a new version of my minimalist interface, principally for the Game UI.

This could probably be described as Modern, where v1 was minimalist. It stays a bit closer to the original (and for me, flawed) arrangement of the in game UI while staying still very simple, but less stark than version 1.

I'm going for a smooth top surface with button recess and *maybe* some embossing.

Untitled-1_zpsrdmjsctj.jpg

Ill probably recess stuff like the equipment, similar to how it is now, and "float" a lot of the soldier/unit info.

Edited by kinophile

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draft 2.

Starting to achieve my "Flat" look.

I like the simple vertical division between sections, using a 2-pixel gutter, with a single pixel gutter for horizontal divisions.

There's a light-grey "header bar" for each section. I put it in to give some relief for the flat dark grey of the main body, and used the same grey for outline the unit weapon details sections. Not 100% certain about the header idea..might reduce it a pixel or two...

The red of the support roster is just temporary. The support panel has been tidied up since this post, with the wepons details panel top edge now lining up with the "Point Target' button's top edge.

Its not showing up in my screen shots, but the command buttons do have a full rollover-down light-lighter colour scheme. It's fully apparent in-game.

I've finally killed off the support button butting up above the main ui top edge. Made the support icons larger and more interesting - the arty is a proper 155 SPG, the air is a SU-24 dropping bombs, the UAV's distinctive inverted tail fins are visible.

Areas red-ringed are still WIP...

Untitled-3_zpsajn0i974.jpg

Edited by kinophile

Nice.  I like your attempt to make the Pause, Cancel, Withdraw buttons more clear.  However that is also where I have applause and a concern.  I like the arrows pointing down for withdraw, perfect.  However the hand with the stop sign does not convey cancel to me.  To me it says stop - which would be better for pause.  For cancel how about a single arrow pointing upwards similar to the withdraw arrows and then super impose the ghost buster circle with a line through it on top. That would signify that existing orders will be cancelled.

Nice.  I like your attempt to make the Pause, Cancel, Withdraw buttons more clear.  However that is also where I have applause and a concern.  I like the arrows pointing down for withdraw, perfect.  However the hand with the stop sign does not convey cancel to me.  To me it says stop - which would be better for pause.  For cancel how about a single arrow pointing upwards similar to the withdraw arrows and then super impose the ghost buster circle with a line through it on top. That would signify that existing orders will be cancelled.

Good idea! 

I'm actually making a clock symbol for the Pause button - seems apt (as is original button) as the pause can be unchecked and the existing order will continue,  whereas a STOP sign would imply almost cancellation.

Stand by....  

Good idea! 

I'm actually making a clock symbol for the Pause button - seems apt (as is original button) as the pause can be unchecked and the existing order will continue,  whereas a STOP sign would imply almost cancellation.

Stand by....  

Cool, looking forward to it.  Yeah the fact that pause is a toggle between go and stop means the stop sign and hand probably does not work.  But I guess I never think of stop signs as cancelling anything.  They just make you stop for a while before proceeding - which is why I did not like it for cancel.  As with all icons personal perception is the driver and UI designers need to find icons that invoke the desired perception in a majority of people.

The other thing that some early versions of the stock graphics were not good at is telling the difference between something toggled on and off.  The newer versions of the UI are better at this but with the original CMBN it was difficult to tell if hide was toggled on or not.  That problem was one of the reasons I switched to Juju's UI mod - I didn't do it because his was prettier I did it because I could tell if a unit was hiding or not at a glance.  When you put up another preview can you include examples of viewing toggles (like you have already for enabled vs disabled commands).  Some examples, deploy, hide, open.

Thanks.

Untitled-1_zpsttfbp28c.jpg

Using a clock and the cancel sign together for two different interrupt commands is visually confusing. I've switched to an hourglass icon for the PAUSE command, and I'm on the fence about the cancel circle for the CANCEL button.

Currently the hourglass does not line up properly with the other two icons, will fix tomorrow.

I'm particularly happy with the +1/-2 values for the soldier info box, and the much clearer green squares showing active connection to other command levels (broken connections get a clear red X).

My selection buttons for the Command sections are currently recessed on activation - this is contrary to the developing style for smooth, flat buttons; I will need to harmonise these.

Speaking of activation, I show two ideas for the currently active command button - simple highlighting, and highlight with the word ACTIVE watermarked in. I'm not in favour of the watermark, but its an experiment. I could use a red outline on the button, maybe? I would prefer thought, to just keep it as a simple highlight.

Edited by kinophile

Nice. I totally love the cancel icon! The hour glass works well for pause. Clocks say time hour glasses say waiting. Not the red one though.  :)

That clear highlight for the selected command and toggles items is nice too. I don't really have a problem with the depressed look for the current command panel tab. But you could try flat but using the lighter colour of the selected command

I'm currently working towards using red  as the "selection confirmed"  colour. 

Is it too harsh? I found the orange of the original UI a little weak,  but so also are the lightblue highlights for my new support icons. 

I might go for an orange/red mix,  or try a stronger blue tone. 

The unit ranks and type icons need to lose their dark backgrounds and, in the case of the type, be flipped to face right.

The Support buttons are large with much larger icons. For now I kept the original BF special equipment icons, but desaturated them and sharpened the framing.

The unit details panel: the weapons icons need to be flipped and colour graded to match the current scheme, as do the vehicle and crew weapon profiles (that will be a huuuuuuge task, so its very much on the back burner for now). The Ammo/Damage/defense icons need to be tweaked to match also.

The interrupt buttons are fine for now (The pause and halt/cancel button go red when selected. The cancel button is a little weak though, with just that diagonal black slash...). The evade/flee button goes yellow when selected. @C4K would approve :). The command selection buttons are a little pokey; they show selection clearly, but they feel a little too narrow. I've quite happy with tthe command buttons themselves.

It doesn't show here, but the GO button recess deeply when pressed. The playback and menu buttons are yet to be worked on.

Comments welcome

Edited by kinophile

Yah you're right. Done, doesnt show here but the arrow stays white, ghostbusters circle goes red.

Various tweaks and twerks done (ranks and branch insignia enlarged, recoloured and background cleaned up). 

Menu button recesses same as the Go button.

Increased the gutter between panels, to help visually separate them.

Untitled-1_zpsaapy9ai3.jpg

If anyone wants, i feel happy issuing for testing...

Edited by kinophile

Yes -  it becomes highlighted, as shown in the previous screens.

I would like to develop some better profile pics, a bit more dramatic and characterful. The trick is to not make the face too obvious, where it will seem like it's the same guy leading every unit of a certain type...!

Anyone who wants to beta test can pop me a PM.