The Good Old Days - A CMFI CAAR

On March 16, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Vet 0369 said:

Having now followed all of Bud's previous AARs, all I can say is Bud is the "God of Awesomeness!" 

I wrote an exposition once in a "Reading for Rhetoric" class in college where I used a flashback technique. The professor handed it back with the comment "it's extremely difficult to use a flashback to relate a story, and it takes a very skilled writer to do it well. You obviously failed the technique. Please don't attempt it again."

She would be prostrating herself before Bud!

Well that was uncharitable and not in the least helpful of her. Flashback can be overused, that's true, but I've used it to great success in some SF writing I've done a few years ago. It would have been more helpful for her to give you suggestions on how to use it more effectively, rather than shut you down like that. 

But I do thank you for the compliment, it's greatly appreciated. :)

On March 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM, Michael Emrys said:

That was rather mean! I don't like teachers who only offer discouragement. She might at least have offered a suggestion of something else that might have worked better.

Michael

Yes, my point above. Agreed. 

On March 17, 2016 at 10:15 AM, IanL said:

Or better yet some detailed comments on what needed to be changed.  Those "skilled" writers did not learn to do a good job using flashbacks in their stories by being skilled at other forms of story telling and then suddenly they are good to go to use flashbacks too.

Well, seems everyone had the same feelings about this. Cool. ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bud,

Glad to see you back after dealing with real life for a while.  Sorry you had a rough go of it.  We all wish your family well.

And, of course, the story goes on and it is good as always.  It's like you never left! :D

Comics are meant to be put down for a while and then picked up and re-read - it is a requirement I think.  I read it in the Guy's Manual, I think.

Story line is great and so are the screenshots.  Your use of black and white is very atmospheric.

Heinrich505

2 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Hooray! Bud is back! How did you get the dust effect? Scenery looks good, although depending on which part of the desert you were, it was more ofter gravel and rock with just a light dusting than deep sand.

Michael

The dust was provided by CMFI. ^_^ I suspect that when @kohlenklau made the map he might have set it to very dry ground conditions, and likely sand and dirt for the ground cover. 

I do not think that there is actually a large amount of sand - maybe in patches, but overall the ground is more firm than that. 

1 hour ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

Glad to see you back after dealing with real life for a while.  Sorry you had a rough go of it.  We all wish your family well.

Thanks. I *think* we are out of the woods, at last. 

And, of course, the story goes on and it is good as always.  It's like you never left! :D

Haha! I was worried everyone would get tired of waiting! 

Comics are meant to be put down for a while and then picked up and re-read - it is a requirement I think.  I read it in the Guy's Manual, I think.

I've acquired a fair bit of them in the past couple of months in iBooks format. Great reading and I know I'll be going back to them hundreds of times, just like I did with Tintin. 

If I can suggest an interesting view of WW2 - read Hugo Pratt's Scorpions of the Desert

Story line is great and so are the screenshots.  Your use of black and white is very atmospheric.

Thanks - as I continue writing these I find myself wanting to give more personality and humanity to the characters. It will be interesting (to me at least) to see what I will be writing a year or two from now. I've got a good cast for each side I want to show. If I can make them more than pixeltruppen then I'll be quite happy. 

Bud,

Wonderful stuff, and I hope you wife's doing better! There are two accounts (pages 36-41) in the excellent The Battery Commander, His Batman and a Cook, Thomas Reiter, Editor, which describe the first clash newly arrived Rommel's recon forces with the British. It was SdKfz 231 8-Rad vs Marmon-Herringtons. There is also Scouts Out, by Edwards, a former Army officer who used to do Scout work. The book covers German armored recon during WW II. I do not have this book, but the reviews are terrific. There is also an autobiography of an Aufklarungs officer which was found and listed before. There was a bitter (and justified) complaint made the English language edition covered only North Africa, whereas the German edition kept going thereafter. Unfortunately, Amazon is giving me fits today, so my ability to search is crippled.

Very much appreciate your brilliant CAARs!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

WHOA!  Christmas has come early!!!   :D   20+ emails in my inbox said something was again happening here....

Welcome back Bud, and sorry to hear of your wife's medical issues; very glad that to hear that she is 'hopefully' out of the woods. 

Like a good stout, you stories can easily be put up on a shelf for ages, and still be opened far down the line, and taste just as good, if not better, than when they were brewed...  (Well I cheated there: beer always tastes much better well after its been brewed; secondary fermentation and all...)

5 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Bud,

Wonderful stuff, and I hope you wife's doing better! There are two accounts (pages 36-41) in the excellent The Battery Commander, His Batman and a Cook, Thomas Reiter, Editor, which describe the first clash newly arrived Rommel's recon forces with the British. It was SdKfz 231 8-Rad vs Marmon-Herringtons. There is also Scouts Out, by Edwards, a former Army officer who used to do Scout work. The book covers German armored recon during WW II. I do not have this book, but the reviews are terrific. There is also an autobiography of an Aufklarungs officer which was found and listed before. There was a bitter (and justified) complaint made the English language edition covered only North Africa, whereas the German edition kept going thereafter. Unfortunately, Amazon is giving me fits today, so my ability to search is crippled.

Very much appreciate your brilliant CAARs!

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks, John, for your well wishes. I looked up Scouts Out and indeed it looks very intriguing. I ended up getting the Kindle edition. I always liked armoured reconnaissance so this should be an entertaining read. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, gnarly said:

WHOA!  Christmas has come early!!!   :D   20+ emails in my inbox said something was again happening here....

Welcome back Bud, and sorry to hear of your wife's medical issues; very glad that to hear that she is 'hopefully' out of the woods. 

Like a good stout, you stories can easily be put up on a shelf for ages, and still be opened far down the line, and taste just as good, if not better, than when they were brewed...  (Well I cheated there: beer always tastes much better well after its been brewed; secondary fermentation and all...)

Yes, this business of drinking almost the same day it's brewed is not in accord with my Trappist beer tendencies!

17 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

"The map was made using CMSF terrain bmp files. The map is mostly dirt terrain but then in certain little elevation anomalies I use a glue gun to attach sand, hard, rocky, etc. A brush or foliage here and there..." ~Martha Stewart, 2016

SollumSally_zps3tbychbw.jpg 

Martha did an awesome job! Feels very much like the desert as we play our scenario!