Juju

display size problem

I've just reinstalled CMRT after my old SSD died. I've also recently got myself a 4K monitor running at 3840x2160 (native).

However, I'd like to play CM in 1920x1080. When I enter that relevant resolution into the 'Display size.txt' file (1920 1080 60) and attempt to start the game It fails and I get this message:

"Could not initialize graphics display. REQUIRED: 1024 x 768, 32bit color"

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here?

I suspect that this may be an issue with 'display scaling'.

Right-click on the shortcut you start CMRT with and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and within the 'Settings' section check-mark the entry for 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'. Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. Launch CMRT again and see if it works this time or not.

I suspect that this may be an issue with 'display scaling'.

Right-click on the shortcut you start CMRT with and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and within the 'Settings' section check-mark the entry for 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'. Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. Launch CMRT again and see if it works this time or not.

What Schrullenhaft typed... faster than I could :)

Are you able to use 1920x1080 at all or is this just a CMRT issue?

Buzz

Thanks, Schrullenhaft, that fixed it!

@Buzz: this the only time I've encountered this problem, but then I haven't played many games recently.

Thanks, Schrullenhaft, that fixed it!

@Buzz: this the only time I've encountered this problem, but then I haven't played many games recently.

I knew Schrullenhaft would fix it fast  ?

Congratulations on your monitor upgrade. Next on my list of CM gaming enhancement.

When / if you have time would appe=rceaite you observations on CMRT & CM in general on you new 4K monitor running at 3840x2160.

Thanks Juju,

Buzz

As you may know I spend most of my CM time modding, not playing. About the only thing I observed so far is how smooth the game runs on smaller maps with relatively few units. Looks very good, too. Big maps with lots of foliage and units are a stutterfest, however.

I know you mod CM more than playing CM. You produce some really fine mods for our community. Thank you Juju.

Regarding visuals on your new 4K monitor running at 3840x2160. Would you mind sharing the model GPU you are using?

I am currently using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 4GB graphics card on a 27-inch (2560 x 1440) Dell monitor. Everything is smooth, not stuttering, and looks great. 

My current GPU is rated for 4K = 4096x2160. With the 4GB on the GPU, I am hoping that will be enough when I upgrade to a new 4K monitor. 

Thanks,

Buzz

I'm using a GTX 780 TI. With 3072MB memory, if my memory serves. Bought it in July 2014. Monitor is 28 inch @ 3840x2160 and the processor is an i7 2600k (almost 4 years old, I believe).

Hope that helps. I could run some benchmarks, if that's any good to you.

Thanks Juju. That does help. Thanks for the offer for benchmarks but I am still a ways off to upgrade my monitor. If I need to upgrade GPU or such I will.

Your GTX 780 TI is a fine GPU and should manage 3840x2160 w/o a problem.  Sounds like it does.

"Big maps with lots of foliage and units are a stutterfest." is with other programs running or with CM solo in a Windows OS?

Your i7 2600k processor is a solid performer and should be fine for CM. My i7-4770K has a slight advantage @ 13% faster when running single-threaded tasks like CM. 

Great to see you made the move to photo real graphics with 3840x2160. I am looking towards end of 2016 to do the same. 

Thanks for your significant modding contributions for Combat Mission fans. 

Buzz

"Big maps with lots of foliage and units are a stutterfest." is with other programs running or with CM solo in a Windows OS?

Thanks for your significant modding contributions for Combat Mission fans. 

Buzz

You're welcome. Stay tuned for more. :)

The stutterfest is CM running solo. Also, I should mention I have every eye candy options enabled (not AA, though) in CM and I'm not at all surprised the game stutters at those resolutions.

Btw, the only other game I did play on this exact setup so far is Fallout 4 @ 3840x2160. And it ran pretty well at that resolution. Frame rate dips while using scopes made me switch to 1920x1080, though. But it's not uncommon that patches and drivers fix that eventually.

You're welcome. Stay tuned for more. :)

The stutterfest is CM running solo. Also, I should mention I have every eye candy options enabled (not AA, though) in CM and I'm not at all surprised the game stutters at those resolutions.

Btw, the only other game I did play on this exact setup so far is Fallout 4 @ 3840x2160. And it ran pretty well at that resolution. Frame rate dips while using scopes made me switch to 1920x1080, though. But it's not uncommon that patches and drivers fix that eventually.

Locked into the Juju Mod Channel for sure... :)

Thanks for the information of your experience so far with 3840x2160. Hope to join the 4K display resolution when I find the right product  & price point.

Buzz

Just as an update for others the fix worked to resolve blurry unit icons and text for me after getting a new wide-screen monitor. Glad i stumbled across this thread.