• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Juju

display size problem

I've just reinstalled CMRT after my old SSD died. I've also recently got myself a 4K monitor running at 3840x2160 (native).

However, I'd like to play CM in 1920x1080. When I enter that relevant resolution into the 'Display size.txt' file (1920 1080 60) and attempt to start the game It fails and I get this message:

"Could not initialize graphics display. REQUIRED: 1024 x 768, 32bit color"

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here?

I suspect that this may be an issue with 'display scaling'.

Right-click on the shortcut you start CMRT with and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and within the 'Settings' section check-mark the entry for 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'. Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. Launch CMRT again and see if it works this time or not.

I suspect that this may be an issue with 'display scaling'.

Right-click on the shortcut you start CMRT with and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and within the 'Settings' section check-mark the entry for 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'. Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. Launch CMRT again and see if it works this time or not.

What Schrullenhaft typed... faster than I could :)

Are you able to use 1920x1080 at all or is this just a CMRT issue?

Buzz

Thanks, Schrullenhaft, that fixed it!

@Buzz: this the only time I've encountered this problem, but then I haven't played many games recently.

Thanks, Schrullenhaft, that fixed it!

@Buzz: this the only time I've encountered this problem, but then I haven't played many games recently.

I knew Schrullenhaft would fix it fast  ?

Congratulations on your monitor upgrade. Next on my list of CM gaming enhancement.

When / if you have time would appe=rceaite you observations on CMRT & CM in general on you new 4K monitor running at 3840x2160.

Thanks Juju,

Buzz

As you may know I spend most of my CM time modding, not playing. About the only thing I observed so far is how smooth the game runs on smaller maps with relatively few units. Looks very good, too. Big maps with lots of foliage and units are a stutterfest, however.

I know you mod CM more than playing CM. You produce some really fine mods for our community. Thank you Juju.

Regarding visuals on your new 4K monitor running at 3840x2160. Would you mind sharing the model GPU you are using?

I am currently using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 4GB graphics card on a 27-inch (2560 x 1440) Dell monitor. Everything is smooth, not stuttering, and looks great. 

My current GPU is rated for 4K = 4096x2160. With the 4GB on the GPU, I am hoping that will be enough when I upgrade to a new 4K monitor. 

Thanks,

Buzz

I'm using a GTX 780 TI. With 3072MB memory, if my memory serves. Bought it in July 2014. Monitor is 28 inch @ 3840x2160 and the processor is an i7 2600k (almost 4 years old, I believe).

Hope that helps. I could run some benchmarks, if that's any good to you.

Thanks Juju. That does help. Thanks for the offer for benchmarks but I am still a ways off to upgrade my monitor. If I need to upgrade GPU or such I will.

Your GTX 780 TI is a fine GPU and should manage 3840x2160 w/o a problem.  Sounds like it does.

"Big maps with lots of foliage and units are a stutterfest." is with other programs running or with CM solo in a Windows OS?

Your i7 2600k processor is a solid performer and should be fine for CM. My i7-4770K has a slight advantage @ 13% faster when running single-threaded tasks like CM. 

Great to see you made the move to photo real graphics with 3840x2160. I am looking towards end of 2016 to do the same. 

Thanks for your significant modding contributions for Combat Mission fans. 

Buzz

"Big maps with lots of foliage and units are a stutterfest." is with other programs running or with CM solo in a Windows OS?

Thanks for your significant modding contributions for Combat Mission fans. 

Buzz

You're welcome. Stay tuned for more. :)

The stutterfest is CM running solo. Also, I should mention I have every eye candy options enabled (not AA, though) in CM and I'm not at all surprised the game stutters at those resolutions.

Btw, the only other game I did play on this exact setup so far is Fallout 4 @ 3840x2160. And it ran pretty well at that resolution. Frame rate dips while using scopes made me switch to 1920x1080, though. But it's not uncommon that patches and drivers fix that eventually.

You're welcome. Stay tuned for more. :)

The stutterfest is CM running solo. Also, I should mention I have every eye candy options enabled (not AA, though) in CM and I'm not at all surprised the game stutters at those resolutions.

Btw, the only other game I did play on this exact setup so far is Fallout 4 @ 3840x2160. And it ran pretty well at that resolution. Frame rate dips while using scopes made me switch to 1920x1080, though. But it's not uncommon that patches and drivers fix that eventually.

Locked into the Juju Mod Channel for sure... :)

Thanks for the information of your experience so far with 3840x2160. Hope to join the 4K display resolution when I find the right product  & price point.

Buzz

Just as an update for others the fix worked to resolve blurry unit icons and text for me after getting a new wide-screen monitor. Glad i stumbled across this thread.