Debaltsev

I'm learning new things about this critical, climatic battle.

Kicking around the idea of doing a hypothetical battle set on the south-west flank of the kettle.

Initial regional-local-game maps below.

Comments, ideas welcome. c.3/2k x 3.5/4k dimensions.

Red/blue denotes hypothetical areas of control.

Timing in relation to the real life battle is uncertain for now.

Regional-map_zps4vqo3sow.jpg

Local-Map_zpshh0i15vp.jpg

Game-Map_zpsxxwmhb8n.jpg

Where could I find topo maps for this area?

Edited by kinophile

The whole area inside the red square is probably a bit too large if you ask me. I have had a quick look in google earth and even if you crop it as much as possible, from the crossroad, (probably named Kalynivka, I think the name in google earth is not in the right spot) to the very beginning of the Debaltsevo suburb, you have a 4.5 or 5 km length.

I don't know how familiar you are with the editor or CM map making general, but it is quite an endeavour to undertake such a big project. So I would advise against it and instead split it into several smaller maps or scenarios.

Now I happen to have mapped this exact same crossroad last year and it is 80% finished. If you're interested I could wrap it up fairly quickly and put it in a dropbox link for you.

A quick preview :

bwtgWOT.jpg?1

As far as the topo maps are concerned, I can't help you but having one is probably not mandatory. You can do without it by using the altitude info in google earth and by simply adding several elevations points, the editor will do the rest. Alternatively there is also a way to create a contour map with the overlay tool in google earth.

while I love map making and have contributed at least one map near that scale, I agree with Zverboy1.  Doing a single map limits the exposure you'll get for a couple reasons -

1 it means people on older machines may not be able to load it. 

2 trying to fit that much of a battle in one space is a further hit and players who don't have the time can't commit to a single large engagement

3 it makes it much harder to do AI plans

You are much better off making a campaign and linking the individual battles.  Now on the other hand having a single master map you can cut up makes that easier.

In your selected by red square area happened fight for Vuhlehirsk (29-31 Jan), and continuos fight for Lohvynove village (10-12 Feb) for unlocking of M3 road. Pro-Russian forces entered in Debaltseve from NW direction along railways. Komuna settlement was a base camp for several units. You should to expect as minimum VDV/NGU/UNCONs modules, because base CMBS will give too much superiority for Reds if you will try to model this battle :). Though if you want to make scenarious "what if?" or just QB, you  

Edited by Haiduk

Now on the other hand having a single master map you can cut up makes that easier.

I think this is more what I'm looking at - a set of three linked battles ROUGHLY mirroring the real events. 

My aim is to flesh out the fighting withdrawal through that sector until the break out. 

@Haiduk it's really incredible to have your direct info from the battle . it's quite an honour. 

Do you have a rough time line of major events in the last 7 days leading up to and including the break out, from that sector?

I'll probably set AI Mechanized Inf to green/high motivation to simulate tthe separatists. 

I doubt I'll be able to do proper justice, but my hope is that doing even a superficially similar mini-campaign will help explain things,  even if it's just to me.... 

@Zveroboy1, absolutely,  yes! That would be fantastic! 

Thanks Pete,  great tips! 

Edited by kinophile