Wood Bunker Being Attacked by MMG

Holien

So I am playing Bad Day at the Beach against a buddy and my MMG team seem to think they can destroy a Wood Bunker that is side on to them with the power of their MMG.

Just watched from inside the Bunker and nope they can't and even the Italians inside the bunker are happy (very unusal for Italians to be happy with rounds passing over their heads).

So does the AI know something I don't?

Or are the GI's just trying to get rid of my limited ammo to annoy me?

Anyone see this before? (Saved Files Available...)

Anyone see this before?

Something similar. I am playing a battle where my troops have spotted a wooden bunker about 100-150 meters away and kept popping shots off at it. I would get notifications that they were scoring penetrations, but the Germans inside were untroubled by them. I finally had to put a covered arc on the team that had spotted the bunker in order to get them to conserve ammo.

Michael

What is wrong with a team trying to suppress a bunker? If the reverse was true (team encountered a bunker and just sits there) I think the complaints would be worse. The MMG might inflict suppression. As you said, you can tell them to stop next turn. If they didn't fire they might be dead by then (OK not in this side on case but generally). Anyway wooden bunkers aren't that tough and I have seen casualties in that sort of position.

What is wrong with a team trying to suppress a bunker?

In my case, it gave away the team's position when I was trying to set up an ambush, which led to immediate retaliation from several directions including from a Flakvierling with pretty devastating results. Not worth the cartridges that were uselessly expended.

:(

Michael

I need to check with my oppo but I am pretty certain there was no suppression and it was a large waste of ammo. Firing into something you have no chance of effecting seems like poor AI behaviour?

Would American MMG slugs go through a wooden bunker?

If not then firing into the side walls is as pointless as firing into the side walls of a concrete bunker, IMO.

The game engine seems to treat men in bunkers as if they were vehicle crew- therefore they have no 'cowering' response to being fired upon.

Infantry will fire at the front of a bunker, in my experience, because they have a small chance of hitting a crew member through the firing slit.

Under most circumstances it is a waste of ammo and gives away the firer's position needlessly, and I wish my units wouldn't do it without orders to. But if you have a lot of time and ammo you might eventually kill all the crew. 

I can't comment on shooting at the side of a bunker.