CMFB update?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Status on the website / CMFB haven't changed since the last update: we are still in the process of completing them. Your indication that the game is close to release is when it goes up for pre-orders.

Jon Sowden's Battle Pack for CMBN, however, has been given a stealth release earlier today. We'll officially announce it after Steve works through some problems with hacking the old website/store to properly house the Battle Pack, but it is available for sale now.

How many times have CM players asked for a operational layer ?

I saw that Hitman was banned, but since the question of an operational layer comes up quite often, I just want to say that not every CM player wants this. I have no interrest in this, so I hope that CM will stay a tactical combat game. Development time is always limited, and I'd much prefer that it is all used for improving the tactical combat, and not to implement an operational feature to the game.

I saw that Hitman was banned, but since the question of an operational layer comes up quite often, I just want to say that not every CM player wants this. I have no interrest in this, so I hope that CM will stay a tactical combat game. Development time is always limited, and I'd much prefer that it is all used for improving the tactical combat, and not to implement an operational feature to the game.

Well don't worry, BF is committed to staying focused.  They understand and appreciate why folks would want an op layer, but it would essentially be creating two games neither of which would get the attention they devote to CM now.  If we ever see an op layer it'll be 3rd party.  For those of us interested there are also plenty of ways to do that now. 

The funny thing is, a human designed CM campaign can have far more nuance than an actual op layer would (and that includes the op layer in that other game)  For example:

Task Force Panther from CMSF - Chris started with an airborne drop to take the airport, but the missions after weren't just moving pieces and then building an OoB.  I think the 3rd or 4th mission (the snitch) was a retrieval of a human intel agent from a market.  Fantastic battle. A small SF team and a platoon from the Airborne negotiating their way through alleys to retrieve the individual and bring him back. The first time I played it I was sold forever on CM.  I have the opening to that mission saved on my PC so I can go right to it.  No other game out there could do this.  An op layer would not have created that fight.

TF Spartan Resolve - you have a mission where the force is tasked with trying to retrieve a pilot from a crash zone (Angel Down).  Again a small task group attempting to deal with an issue and get out before the enemy can respond.

The mission variation would be hard to recreate in an op layer. An op layer is generally going to have battles of a particular size- company or Bn and fights for a geographic area.  Yes you do get to see consequences and long term impact on your decisions, but the battles generally boil down to a detailed level fight for a Battalion scale game.

The point of this is, CM already has an "OP layer", but it has to be designed and applied as it is far more flexible than anything that has been dreamed up so far for campaign play.  The battle pack I think clearly demonstrates just how much CM offers.  Unfortunately there just aren't that many campaign designers yet.

Edited by sburke

I completely agree, sburke.

Having an op layer is something I used to think I wanted, but when I compare the satisfaction I get out of the current CM system vs., say, CC4 or "that" game, I realize that the CM system is far superior and can be easily-enough adapted using 3rd party resources.

I've really wanted to create a mini-campaign for awhile, but...it's just...time...aargh.

Status on the website / CMFB haven't changed since the last update: we are still in the process of completing them. Your indication that the game is close to release is when it goes up for pre-orders.

Jon Sowden's Battle Pack for CMBN, however, has been given a stealth release earlier today. We'll officially announce it after Steve works through some problems with hacking the old website/store to properly house the Battle Pack, but it is available for sale now.

Why dont you guys just skip the pre order phase and give it to us =D 

Your indication that the game is close to release is when it goes up for pre-orders? Is that the best you can do? Shouldn't that be 'your indication that the game is close to release is when the new website goes up?' Because that was the reason you gave us earlier for not releasing CMFB, remember? What a shambles.

And a stealth release? How stylish. Must be very satisfying for the maker of the battlepack to see it's release in such a way. A little announcement was the least it deserved. I bet this 'release' wasn't even planned. What a shambles.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Your indication that the game is close to release is when it goes up for pre-orders? Is that the best you can do? Shouldn't that be 'your indication that the game is close to release is when the new website goes up?' Because that was the reason you gave us earlier for not releasing CMFB, remember? What a shambles.

And a stealth release? How stylish. Must be very satisfying for the maker of the battlepack to see it's release in such a way. A little announcement was the least it deserved. I bet this 'release' wasn't even planned. What a shambles.

A bit harsh, but the fact that he said Pre order is a bit upsetting I see no need for pre order period if the game is as far as they say it is pre order should have started 2 months ago not 2 months after the game was supposed to release 

...And a stealth release? How stylish. Must be very satisfying for the maker of the battlepack to see it's release in such a way. A little announcement was the least it deserved. I bet this 'release' wasn't even planned. What a shambles.

I believe Steve said in another thread that the purpose of the "stealth release" was to create a very low volume of initial downloads/installs to work out any issues in the process before making a general announcement that would trigger a large volume of downloads/installs.

What a shambles.

I must say I do think this is a bit strong.  Disappointing that the game has been delayed, yes most definetly.  However a shambles it is not, Rome 2's release was a shambles and the game remained broken for a year or so, that was a shambles of the highest order and it was insulting and a slap in the face to their loyal fans and yes that includes me.  A small delay in release to get things right is fine by me, remember a small company like BFC lives and dies by its reputation so they have to get it right the first time, patience is a virtue.  I can take the softer stance now anyway because i have CMBN to play through now lol.  

Edited by Doc844

I agree, this was harsh, but it's just the natural frustration of not knowing what is going on. Why has there been a delay of several months? Is it all only because of the new store page? So, if the game is done, why hasn't it been released on the old store page when the new store got delayed for so long? I'm sure that if BF has made that decision, then there is certainly a very good reason for it. But what is that reason? It's not knowing and being kept in the dark that is annoying. When such a long unexpeted delay happens, it is only good customer service for a developer to keep those that are wondering what is going on up to date.

Why the secrecy, which just creates frustration and impatience?

I agree, this was harsh, but it's just the natural frustration of not knowing what is going on. Why has there been a delay of several months? Is it all only because of the new store page? So, if the game is done, why hasn't it been released on the old store page when the new store got delayed for so long? I'm sure that if BF has made that decision, then there is certainly a very good reason for it. But what is that reason? It's not knowing and being kept in the dark that is annoying. When such a long unexpeted delay happens, it is only good customer service for a developer to keep those that are wondering what is going on up to date.

Why the secrecy, which just creates frustration and impatience?

agree lots of people are tired of waiting and not knowing over a month ago ChrisND said it was a matter of mere weeks.. Now that its past that point and there has been no new except now that once the new site is up we are going to have to wait through the pre order phase I feel bitter now.

agree lots of people are tired of waiting and not knowing over a month ago ChrisND said it was a matter of mere weeks.. Now that its past that point and there has been no new except now that once the new site is up we are going to have to wait through the pre order phase I feel bitter now.

What's to be bitter about? It's cost you nothing other than a few extra hours on a forum you visit anyway. The only thing to have suffered is the burn out of any excitement from an anticipated release that is now overdue.

It's not like there aren't other CM2x titles to play that are probably in your library. The Battle Pack has just been released, CMRT has some Winter clothes to try on, CMFI is having a North Africa makeover courtesy of some great modder work. You could sink hours in all of those and the latter two are free.

There's nothing to be bitter about, a bit disappointed maybe but that's about it.

What's to be bitter about? It's cost you nothing other than a few extra hours on a forum you visit anyway. The only thing to have suffered is the burn out of any excitement from an anticipated release that is now overdue.

It's not like there aren't other CM2x titles to play that are probably in your library. The Battle Pack has just been released, CMRT has some Winter clothes to try on, CMFI is having a North Africa makeover courtesy of some great modder work. You could sink hours in all of those and the latter two are free.

There's nothing to be bitter about, a bit disappointed maybe but that's about it.

Yeah but New CM titles make me get all emotional 

A stealth release....  So how do I order it?  I see no links.

edit....found it :)

Edited by Majick
new info