General Questions

I can't really help you myself with the icons as I don't use the standard ones that come with the game. Mine are modded and I'm getting a bit vague as to what the original ones looked like. There is a little bit of info in the manual but, not a great deal. You should soon be able to pick up what they all mean.

roflcakes,

Wart 'n' all touched on a topic that all newbies should know about. Mods will make this game a lot better. I recommend Juju's interface mod and any set of the sounds mods. Stock sounds are a little flat and nondescript for me. Both of these will help with immersion. There are also tons of graphics mods out there too that will help.

Another way to get to grips with the game is through a host of youtube videos. Especially helpful are the "Armchair General" ones. They give you a great grounding in how to play it, using realistic tactics. There are also a wealth of videos dealing with battles and campaigns. Then once you feel that you are getting to grips with the game, you can go on to explore the vast range of mods that will make it even better. 

roflcakes,

Wart 'n' all touched on a topic that all newbies should know about. Mods will make this game a lot better. I recommend Juju's interface mod and any set of the sounds mods. Stock sounds are a little flat and nondescript for me. Both of these will help with immersion. There are also tons of graphics mods out there too that will help.

Do I need to go somewhere to download the mods for the game?

Currently most mods can be gotten from the repository on this site. Although that will soon close down. There is a link to the new dedicated mod site on the opening page of the repository. Or you can access it by typing in www.greenasjade.net When you download mods they will come with info on how to use them, such as which folder to store them in etc. It's a pretty simple process even for an old duffer like myself.  

Do I need to go somewhere to download the mods for the game?

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/  get your mods from there dont bother with the repository on this site. I recommend getting JuJu's UI mod it makes the game more immersive. I personally love Veins skins so if you are interested in changing the skins I would PM vein and ask him for them.