CMFB Bonus Beta AAR ( Axis )

Yay! Go 222s!!!  B)

Germany's secret weapon! 

Uhhh, that's not the 222 on the hill. That's a 234/1 on the hill ( just next to the 222 ) The bulk of my vehicles have hung back. Let the halftracks take the brunt of the enemy.
The 222 took some (rifle ?) fire and pulled back a bit. He's part of the great area-fire plan now.

What wasn't mentioned in the above ( because the screenshots weren't dramatic enough :lol:) is I ordered the other Drilling down from the hill on the right. It took fire from the woods on the far right. One lucky penetration and a crewman was killed. It has pulled back up the hill where it and the other 3 Armoured Cars up there are all going to let that little corner of woods have 15 seconds of area-fire.

The M8 that hit the Brave Little Tank is also going to be receiving a short burst of area fire from about 3-4 vehicles. Hopefully someone will get hurt ;)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh, that's not the 222 on the hill. That's a 234/1 on the hill ( just next to the 222 ) The bulk of my vehicles have hung back. Let the halftracks take the brunt of the enemy.The 222 took some (rifle ?) fire and pulled back a bit. He's part of the great area-fire plan now.

*Gasp!* One of those big guys trying to steal our hero's thunder! :o

What wasn't mentioned in the above ( because the screenshots weren't dramatic enough :lol:) is I ordered the other Drilling down from the hill on the right. It took fire from the woods on the far right. One lucky penetration and a crewman was killed. It has pulled back up the hill where it and the other 3 Armoured Cars up there are all going to let that little corner of woods have 15 seconds of area-fire.

That should ring some bells! :)

The M8 that hit the Brave Little Tank is also going to be receiving a short burst of area fire from about 3-4 vehicles. Hopefully someone will get hurt ;)

Good! Gotta protect BLT! 

Pity you could not afford Pumas...after the 222 my second fav...

Good! Gotta protect BLT! 

Pity you could not afford Pumas...after the 222 my second fav...

That's why the "no gun 50mm and above" rule exists - Pumas might give the Germans too much ( although pretty much anything can kill anything here anyway ).

I've just seen the new turn and ... :( He didn't get away - the M8 reloaded and got off ( as usual :rolleyes:) just one more shot. It was fatal. :(

In my Rundstedt CAAR I discovered just how vulnerable the M16 crews are to MG fire... Seems it wasn't a fluke at my end. I will have to reconsider how to use AA-halftracks, because I lose them too readily. 

Yeah, you have to keep them out of small arms' range. Actually, keeping them out of range of practically anything is a really good idea. but for dispatching soft skinned vehicles, ambushing troops moving on foot, or anything already suppressed, they are hard to beat. Too bad the US didn't build and field a more seriously armored vehicle with multiple HMGs.

Michael

Yeah, you have to keep them out of small arms' range. Actually, keeping them out of range of practically anything is a really good idea. but for dispatching soft skinned vehicles, ambushing troops moving on foot, or anything already suppressed, they are hard to beat. Too bad the US didn't build and field a more seriously armored vehicle with multiple HMGs.

Michael

The German Flakviervling is even more vulnerable. :unsure:

Not only did an M8 get him at the last possible moment, but towards the end of the turn, another 234/1 on the left hill was hit and destroyed by another M8.
The tide turns so quickly :(

In town, however, despite heavy pressure, we hold firm. Fairly firmly, anyway. The survivor of the quad.50 attack crawls out of the line of fire.

The surviving recon man occupies the house on the end of the row. The enemy have realised that the house they no doubt chortled over seizing cannot see the rest of the village. They therefore charge the next house along. Before they reach it, the "Cemetery Watch" team hit one. They enter the house and immediately the recon guy sees one looking menacing in the window.

He has a bazooka too, but he is swiftly despatched by the efficient use of his MG42. He kills another, but then loses his nerve and exits. Fortunately, the platoon HQ arrives and despatches yet another occupant across the road. At the end of the turn, a reinforcing team arrives. The overview picture also shows the "Ambush Bugs" who are hoping for a reckless American to come around the corner.

CMFB 060 6.jpg

American with tube glimpsed briefly in the window.

CMFB 060 3 +2.jpg

Edited by Baneman

In the forest up on the left, my men walk into a bad place. I should have realised that his men would have penetrated further into "the Nameless Wood" than mine.
Pushing forward, we come under heavy fire from Americans who are seen arriving at the far hedge line. 1 team loses a man ( left circe ) and another team (right circle) loses 2 - the latter to a halftrack firing through the woods.

Problem is, we can't area fire on anything past the first hedgeline, but, on slightly higher ground, we can be easily seen by the Americans. Area fire it is then, with the New Lynx firing through the trees to attempt to discomfit the halftrack. The platoon's 251/17 is also moving up to the Lynx position. Hopefully someone will pop his head up and we'll have proper targets.

CMFB 060 5.jpg

News from the front - matters, having reversed themselves in the Americans' favour last turn, swing back to the brave Greys :)

The turn started off much like the previous one ended - scarily - as a new vehicle announced itself by shooting at the house formerly housing the Sturmgrenadiers ( the guys decimated by the quad.50 flak ). Henceforth it shall be "Sturm's House" *
This is something we've not seen before - a quick-firing 37mm gun mounted on the back of a halftrack :o It pumped round after round into the house. The survivor of that Sturm team is so glad he crawled out :)

Our hero Sumbrunn, is hit near the end of the turn. Taking a bullet to the shoulder, he falls to the floor of the halftrack. Fortunately only hit in the shoulder, his driver slaps a field dressing on the wound. Sumbrunn himself, finding that his hipflask was undamaged, self-medicates ;) 

New heroes emerge, however. Leutnant Gruber, on the hill in his little Psw222, adds another kill-ring to the barrel of the 20mm. B)

The details of their derring-do will await the pictures.

* - I flew online for several years in IL2 as "123-Sturm", so I feel that that house is ( and should remain ) "ours" :D

News from the front - matters, having reversed themselves in the Americans' favour last turn, swing back to the brave Greys :)

The turn started off much like the previous one ended - scarily - as a new vehicle announced itself by shooting at the house formerly housing the Sturmgrenadiers ( the guys decimated by the quad.50 flak ). Henceforth it shall be "Sturm's House" *
This is something we've not seen before - a quick-firing 37mm gun mounted on the back of a halftrack :o It pumped round after round into the house. The survivor of that Sturm team is so glad he crawled out :)

Our hero Sumbrunn, is hit near the end of the turn. Taking a bullet to the shoulder, he falls to the floor of the halftrack. Fortunately only hit in the shoulder, his driver slaps a field dressing on the wound. Sumbrunn himself, finding that his hipflask was undamaged, self-medicates ;) 

New heroes emerge, however. Leutnant Gruber, on the hill in his little Psw222, adds another kill-ring to the barrel of the 20mm. B)

The details of their derring-do will await the pictures.

* - I flew online for several years in IL2 as "123-Sturm", so I feel that that house is ( and should remain ) "ours" :D

Is that where the pilot avatar comes from? ;)

Is that where the pilot avatar comes from? ;)

Yep. There was a guy on the forums who did a bunch of pics. This was one titled "where is he?" which always tickled me ( so often while flying online...  :lol: ).

I asked him if I could use it and he said he didn't mind. Must be more than 10 years now I've used it :)

PS : Pics of the heroism and madness due shortly - collation takes awhile.

Right, here we go - and this is a busy one :)

First up - as mentioned, Sturm's House took round after round as the turn began.

CMFB 075 House2.jpg

So much so that the front was shot away. As was the neighbour's.

CMFB 075 House1.jpg

And here is the culprit. We've not seen one of these before, that 37mm gun is quick-firing - 3 rounds at a time it seemed.

CMFB 075 House3.jpg

Edited by Baneman