CMFB Bonus Beta AAR ( Axis )

Well ... here we are again :)

Due to the slight delay in CMFB's release, coupled with the end of Bud's comic, here is a short bonus battle AAR :)

My opponent is now c3k who fell over himself to fill the role when I pointed out that people just want to see us attack !

So to keep things fast and furious, we decided to set up an ME battle depicting two recon forces bumping into each other.
A couple of forcepick rules were dreamed up, to get largely equivalent forces :
1) 50% infantry ( otherwise it would be over in 5 minutes [ may still be the case :huh:] )
2) No fully tracked vehicles
3) No gun 50mm or larger.
4) Artillery can only be mortars.

( c3k graciously offered to suspend Rule 2 in the case of German Lynx tanks because they are a dedicated recon asset - but mostly, I suspect, because they're no better armoured than the rest of the force ! . Plus they are just too cute )

The net result is that we will both have a force of infantry with armoured cars and halftracks - essentially the entire force is comprised of "eggshells with hammers". :D
Combat is going to be almost instantaneous and brutal, fastest draw wins.

In order to make the "recon" necessary, the battle is set at Dawn in Heavy Fog - LoS is approximately 400m according to the Target Tool, actual Los/LoF may vary.

Edited by Baneman

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own forcepick was relatively easy - I took a Recon Battalion and culled it down to most of its Armoured Cars and some Recon infantry. Throw in a few Sturmgrenadiers ( because we all still want to see them cut loose with their MP44's, right ? :) ) and a few bits and bobs.

What it boils down to is as follows :

1 Batt - 234/1 Armoured car HQ ( the new model 8-wheeler )
Heavy Platoon - 3 x 234/1
Heavy Section - 234/1 and 231 ( 231 is the old model 8-wheeler - obsolete-ish, but HQ wont replace it until we break it. Shouldn't be too hard ;) )
2 x Medium Section - 234/1 and 222 ( the 4-wheeler )

[ 10 AC's total - all 20mm armed ]

Infantry auflklarung platoon
HQ + 250/10 ( 37mm armed HT )
6 x 3-man teams ( 1 or 2 MP44 ; MG42 )
4 x 250/1 transport HT's ( 2 Neu, 2 Alt ). Should have 6, but 1 Alt was cannibalised to keep the other 2 running and the 3rd Neu just wouldn't start this morning :P )

Mortar platoon : 2 x 250/7 81mm mortar halftracks.

Attached support : 1 x Lynx recon tank ; 1 x flakvierling HT ( because I'm a gamey bastige too. Plus I expect at least one, probably more, quad-50 cal enemy halftrack )

2 Batt - HQ plus...

1 Company
HQ
1 platoon
HQ + 251/17
2 x 8 man squads ( all MP44 ) + 2 x 251/1
2 platoon
HQ + 251/17
2 x 8 man squads ( all MP44 ) + 2 x 251/1

Attached Support : 1 x Lynx recon tank ; 1 x 250/9 recon HT, 2 x 251/21 Drilling HT

To increase flexibility, I culled the 3rd squad from 1 platoon to fund a 2nd platoon - so I end up with 2 HQ's each with 2 squads, rather than 1 HQ with 3 squads.

Pictures of the map and force to follow when I get home :)

Finally - The Plan ! :lol:

Since my playstyle is usually fairly cautious, here I'm going to go all out ( plus, I've played with a recon force like this a couple of times before - there is little subtlety - it generally comes down to the first one to shoot, lives ! )

So on the right, I'm pushing the Strike Force up to the ridge - half will attempt to continue beyond around the fields. They're all on HUNT, so if the enemy are also pushing far and fast ( it IS c3k after all :P ) they can react.

I'm pushing some grenadiers into the village as fast as possible - to that end, I'm also dropping all my smoke ( there's no wind ) in 2 linear barrages ( white lines ) to try to protect them from enemy vehicles.

Lastly, I'm sending the rest of the infantry around the left, possibly infiltrating through the woods there.

It's all likely to go to hell almost immediately :)

CMFB 006 map.jpg

Aaand ... Action.

Or movement at least.

As the vehicles move off, the mortars begin to fire their smoke mission...

CMFB 010 1.jpg

Sadly, one of the Strike Force's 234/1's bogged going up the hill. And then the driver blew out the engine.
You can only imagine the jeers and catcalls as the "obsolete" 231 drove past :lol:

CMFB 010 2.jpg

I sent one of the 222's along the road to overwatch the infantry's approach to the village - he'd never expect that.
It will wait there for another 30 seconds, then scoot down into the village too. The infantry are now at least screened by the buildings.

CMFB 010 3.jpg

Edited by Baneman

Here are some shots to show the remaining orders for the 3 areas. ( oh notice I forgot I also bought a flamethrower team. Hopefully they can get a shot off - always a nasty surprise if you can pull it off :ph34r:)

The "Cute Tank" is also being a very brave little tank - heading down to screen the cemetery. It will be Ken's cemetery.... ;)

CMFB 010 4.jpg

CMFB 010 5.jpg

CMFB 010 6.jpg

Is it just me or there is something off with the lighting in these screenshots? especially the fog looks strange, particularly fog in long distance is just like white cardboard cut out to loko like woods...

I don't know - I thought the fog effect in the mortar shot looked particularly good.

A couple of trees are a bit "white" in some shots, I guess that's the graphics card rendering "what it looks like through the fog" rather than "fog between here and there".

First Blood ! Pain for both sides !

As my troops debarked into the woods on the left, it seems my opponent has pushed as far as he could down that flank. With at least one M8 ... :huh:

CMFB 015 1.jpg

2 Men down. But almost immediately, the Brave Little Tank :wub: evens the score when he sees a halftrack swanning down towards the town. :)

CMFB 015 3.jpg

CMFB 015 4.jpg

Edited by Baneman