Noobie to wargaming with a question

Greetings!

Avid WW2 nut here who is just getting into war gaming. I'm a 20+ yrs MMO'er (fantasy) and that bridge has been crossed and I want to game the rest of my years in the world war 2 era!

I'm buying Siltherine's Battle Academy to first wet my appetite in the ww2 turn based word. I know equipment, I have a good understanding of tactics, I know the leaders, the battles, but I've never, ever gamed a second in a world war 2 PC game.

Can you pro's out there recommend to me what would be a intermediate game to try that's in-between Battle Academy and the Combat Mission 2 games?

Other than the various videos online on how to play CM2, any other recommendations?

I suspect that I won't be able to touch any of the CMx2 series for at least a year or so.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Game on!

I have Battle Academy and  Battle Academy 2. Both are excellent turn based tactical games.  I can't think of anything intermediate between those and CM that I would recommend. BA is, within its limited scope, fairly realistic with decent combined arms play. Too many other games really favour rushes, and massed unit fire to simulate WW2 tactics. I think if you, like me, are a WW2 nut, going from BA to CM is not a strange transition. Each does what they do well. 

I still play BA, though want of PBEM partners has made me slow down. 

Edited by Bud_B

From what you say about your gaming background and knowledge of "real world" stuff, I'd honestly recommend jumping right in with CM ... :)

It does have a steepish learning curve, and some idiosyncrasies (see recent threads on LOS issues ...); but I think any time you spend on something else as an intermediate step *won't* necessarily translate into CM? And CM is realistic enough to repay the use of real world equipment, tactics and approaches, and if you know something of those already you can put those into practice ...

Try the CMRT demo (at the latest version of the game engine, so most representative of the current game state) to get used to the control mechanics, etc ... then pick a game title for a time period and location that you like. Personally I like CMFI, but it is something of an acquired taste ... :D

From what you say about your gaming background and knowledge of "real world" stuff, I'd honestly recommend jumping right in with CM ... :)

It does have a steepish learning curve, and some idiosyncrasies (see recent threads on LOS issues ...); but I think any time you spend on something else as an intermediate step *won't* necessarily translate into CM? And CM is realistic enough to repay the use of real world equipment, tactics and approaches, and if you know something of those already you can put those into practice ...

Try the CMRT demo (at the latest version of the game engine, so most representative of the current game state) to get used to the control mechanics, etc ... then pick a game title for a time period and location that you like. Personally I like CMFI, but it is something of an acquired taste ... :D

CMFI is indeed an acquired taste, but it's become my favourite. :)

I'm in agreement with PhilM and would recommend you just go ahead and dive right in. Without sounding like too much of a fan boy, in my most humble opinion CM is unmatched by anything else out there. Based on your stated background, CM sounds like exactly what you're after, and mucking around with anything else in order to 'build up' to CM is just selling yourself short. 

The only real caveat to CM is that I would not consider it a 'casual game.' Its not the type of game you come home to after a long day of work and just 'turn your brain off' to. In fact its quite the opposite. Not that that is a bad thing, just a fair warning that if you are hoping for some mindless entertainment in a genre you are interested in, then CM is not what you want.  

But if you know that you want a high fidelity, thinking mans simulator of tactical WWII combat (and modern combat, they have that too) then there is no equal to CM. 

<Snip> what would be a intermediate game to try that's in-between Battle Academy and the Combat Mission 2 games? <Snip>

The Combat Mission Red Thunder demo.  It is free.  Take it for a spin and post any questions you have about it back here.  Within a year you will probably own all the Combat Mission WWII titles........... :)

I'd recommend trying the demos. People make much ado about a steep learning curve with the game, but it's not that bad. At all. I picked up how to play it in like 30 minutes. On a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being easy and 5 being difficult, I give CM a 2.75. Don't let all the scary talk drive you away. Just d/l the demos and give it a try for yourself.