Do you guys think North Africa will ever come?

7 hours ago, weta_nz said:

Great scenario! Played it with my own setup for minor defeat.  Won't give any spoilers but it was an edge of the seat battle right to the end.  Tried it again and only got a draw!  Just had a peek at your setup now and think it is a much better setup :)  Might have to try it with your setup and see how I go....

cheers

+1.  I fought this also and find it a great scenario too.  My results match yours.  A great design for AI attack.  Human defender cannot play gamey to win.

• 2 years later...
On 2/6/2016 at 4:36 AM, kohlenklau said:

Maybe we can solve world hunger with a low grade discount rack solution and do a mini mod but if BFC throws us a few extras in the next pack, we could do more.

For now I can give you Bersaglieri in Africa.

Bersaglieri_zpset3uxvtc.jpg

1911ecdb1c6ad0ce3f784bd8a9a1be45_zpsmthj

@kohlenklau would this Italian with short sleeves mod still be  around ?

Nevermind, had a brain fart , thank you for your determination and your passion. 

Edited by CMFDR
Found

• 5 months later...

Dear GOD.... I hope so... Operation Compass, BattleAxe, Crusader, Gazala Battles... hell could you win a campaign as the Italians vs the UK?    So many great battles.  Sidi Barrani,  Bardia,  Tobruk, Bedda Fomm.  1st and Second German campaigns.  You could do some UK LRRP scenarios.  Naval support, Air Support...   To me it was a damn good Combat Series.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

When FI is complete they would have most of the units that would be needed for NA.

Well, in fact they'd have about 1/3. You can't do North Africa starting 1940 with the stuff from CMFI, there's just too much stuff needed that isn't in the game, especially vehicles, and it seems that Italian TO&E's varied quite a lot during that stretch of time. Now I won't doubt it will be doable for BF.

Edited by Frenchy56

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

When FI is complete they would have most of the units that would be needed for NA.  Considering the popularity of CMSF I and II you'd think that people would love to get back to the desert in WW2.

I strongly think that they should consider North Africa and the beginnings of Barbarossa at the very least.  Instead of doing a full out module for Normandy across the Rhine, I think the time would be better spent doing NA, or Barbarossa.  I just think there is just more Campaign and Scenario possibilities and brings us full circle of sorts.  But fighting French and British Armor early in France would be fun as well.  It is a lot of work, but the new game engine, Scenario-Campaign Designers and modders would have a field day.  The early years I think creates a more difficult game in some ways.

2 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

The early years I think creates a more difficult game in some ways.

Agreed.  Fighting KV's with Pz 2's and 3's is a real challenge.  AFV's were still somewhat experimental and hadn't "matured".  Later in the war, AFV's on all sides tended to follow the same development path so the battles became more balanced and similar.  However, the problem is that the average player just wants ubertanks to fight with.  

11 hours ago, Erwin said:

Agreed.  Fighting KV's with Pz 2's and 3's is a real challenge.  AFV's were still somewhat experimental and hadn't "matured".  Later in the war, AFV's on all sides tended to follow the same development path so the battles became more balanced and similar.  However, the problem is that the average player just wants ubertanks to fight with.  

True.  I would like to think the majority of players here want more of a challenge.  That is not saying the mission and Campaigns now are not, anything but.  But the early years do offer even more of that challenge a lot of us look for, always looking for more challenge.  I hope the Battlefront team takes a look at that, which I am sure they have.

On 7/4/2019 at 5:11 PM, GhostRider3/3 said:

But the early years do offer even more of that challenge a lot of us look for, always looking for more challenge.

On the other hand, armor vs. infantry had a great psychological advantage. Ever hear of "tank fright"? Infantry units would often just melt away if they heard that tanks were in the neighborhood. They lacked the hand-held weaponry of the late war and the antitank guns they had tended to be few and far between and not always especially effective.

Michael

2 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

and the antitank guns they had tended to be few and far between and not always especially effective.

I used to love parking my Matildas on Italian 47mm ATGs in CM:AK.....After a turn or so the gun crew come crawling out and usually surrender, just like in real life.  ;)

That said, KV-1s vs. Romanians/Hungarians/Italians was even funnier!  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Well, I suspect Combat Mission players are not anyone's average war-gamers . . . 😀  These games are an acquired taste for those interested in some kind of game-play tactical realism.  Battlefront supplies its high potency designer drugs to a niche audience.  :ph34r:

As CMx2 is probably coming to the end of its software application life-cycle, I predict the first CMx3 title will be North Afrika sometime after 2023.  😶

3 hours ago, Badger73 said:

As CMx2 is probably coming to the end of its software application life-cycle, I predict the first CMx3 title will be North Afrika sometime after 2023.  😶

+100   From your mouth to God's ears...  

(CM1 system lasted 8 years.  CM2 is now 12 years old.  It's definitely time for a major upgrade.)

On 7/12/2019 at 11:18 AM, Michael Emrys said:

On the other hand, armor vs. infantry had a great psychological advantage. Ever hear of "tank fright"? Infantry units would often just melt away if they heard that tanks were in the neighborhood. They lacked the hand-held weaponry of the late war and the antitank guns they had tended to be few and far between and not always especially effective.

Michael

LOL I remember a few missions in the first title  Barbarossa to Berlin.  German infantry a couple 37mm ATG and  maybe some tanks.  KV1 tanks appeared and, well you sort of just want the infantry to take off as they have nothing.  ATG... not a chance in hell.  LOL only a lucky flank shot.