Do you guys think North Africa will ever come?

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the thread but I also experimented with Tunisia styled maps a year ago setting up large tank battles etc. (A maps are at the Depot) I think it's to each his own.
IMHO, CM shines at "infantry heavy" tactical situations. But that leaves a lot of wiggle room for potential theaters and scenarios. One observation: tank heavy combat in desert terrain required a steady stream of reinforcements. Otherwise, it became difficult to overcome losing the initial tank firefight. Of course, reinforcements produce those "swirling" mechanized battles we read about. Some folks will love these and others will avoid them like the plague. Not to seem like a ki** s**, I do see both sides.

Kevin

PS: maybe a new WWII tank combat model - whatever that means - would interest tank heavy skeptics and make Africa more marketable. 

Edited by kevinkin

It's not my favorite theater, but I think a CM North Africa could be interesting.  

But I do think you would need to play on very large maps to get the flavor right and to permit some common tactics like using trucks to transport AT guns so they can be deployed ahead of the advancing tanks.  This would also simulate the "the attack can come from anywhere" feeling.

Whether my computer can run those large maps is another question. 

I think that the game engine can already account for things like dust and heat haze.

6 hours ago, Andrew H. said:

It's not my favorite theater, but I think a CM North Africa could be interesting.  

But I do think you would need to play on very large maps to get the flavor right and to permit some common tactics like using trucks to transport AT guns so they can be deployed ahead of the advancing tanks.  This would also simulate the "the attack can come from anywhere" feeling.

Whether my computer can run those large maps is another question. 

I think that the game engine can already account for things like dust and heat haze.

I feel like since there wouldnt be as much foliage it would be about the same. I could be wrong though 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I believe they will do an Africa game or module eventually, because they need an income, and it doesn't seem like they are keen on making a new engine that would make the most famous theaters sellable again. So once the other famous battles are exhausted, their eye will fall on Africa.

And I think it could work out well. Even quite flat maps can be made interesting by making gentle undulations of the terrain, to mask movement, but this kind of warfare would probably need an engine upgrade to allow for larger maps - 8x8km at the least. Maybe hard on the computer, but it wouldn't have to do much foliage, or hedgerows, or other terrain.

• 5 months later...

Keep up the good work.  Very good progress has been made.  Since BF has not mentioned North Africa at this point, in my opinion, it is unlikely that anything will show up soon.  At this point, I'm happy with the current game engine.  I hope BF keeps developing more content for it.  A few vehicles would go a long way.  For me a U. S. M3 medium tank and some German and Italian tanks would be great.  It appears that reasonable terrain MODS are already possible.  Suitable German and Italian vehicles could very likely appear in the next release for CMFI.

On 9/25/2016 at 5:08 PM, JohnW said:

Keep up the good work.  Very good progress has been made.  Since BF has not mentioned North Africa at this point, in my opinion, it is unlikely that anything will show up soon.  At this point, I'm happy with the current game engine.  I hope BF keeps developing more content for it.  A few vehicles would go a long way.  For me a U. S. M3 medium tank and some German and Italian tanks would be great.  It appears that reasonable terrain MODS are already possible.  Suitable German and Italian vehicles could very likely appear in the next release for CMFI.

If you consider North Africa relative to FI in the same sense as Kursk will be relative to RT (which I get the feeling is how BFC would see it), you're right, nothing's going to show up soon. But then Kursk isn't going to be anytime soon, given that there's the RT and FB modules-to-end-of-war, and the BS module(s) already in the "To Do" list ahead of it, and Kursk is, I get the impression, going to be ahead of any putative NA family.

But maybe by then CMx3 will have been brought to reality and the whole paradigm of product development will have shifted... :)

North Africa 1941 would be a fantastic proving ground for moderate sized armored clashes, which would work well in the CM2 world as it stands now with their large map capability. I think Libya would be a processor friendly environment. This was a time when the Italians were also very much a threat to the Commonwealth forces during that period. For a brief time, the M13/40 tanks and their 47mm guns were noticed. So much so, that the CW incorporated captured stocks of them to augment their formations at the time. Lucky for the British, the Italian M13/40 crews only received a month of training and did not establish themselves very well. Roll the clock forward a bit and the general grant tanks enter, more British cruiser tanks and the Sherman. Protracted armored warfare is fun. You have less lethal weapons slugging it out at longer ranges with room to maneuver. Not in all cases ofcourse, rough terrain, elevations,  defensive positions, and built up areas could limit avenues as they greatly did. Even so it would be the Common Wealth dug in for the most part which is also exclusive to the period.

1 hour ago, nik mond said:

North Africa 1941 would be a fantastic proving ground for moderate sized armored clashes, which would work well in the CM2 world as it stands now with their large map capability. I think Libya would be a processor friendly environment. This was a time when the Italians were also very much a threat to the Commonwealth forces during that period. For a brief time, the M13/40 tanks and their 47mm guns were noticed. So much so, that the CW incorporated captured stocks of them to augment their formations at the time. Lucky for the British, the Italian M13/40 crews only received a month of training and did not establish themselves very well. Roll the clock forward a bit and the general grant tanks enter, more British cruiser tanks and the Sherman. Protracted armored warfare is fun. You have less lethal weapons slugging it out at longer ranges with room to maneuver. Not in all cases ofcourse, rough terrain, elevations,  defensive positions, and built up areas could limit avenues as they greatly did. Even so it would be the Common Wealth dug in for the most part which is also exclusive to the period.

+1
I like you.  :D

Edited by Blazing 88's

10 hours ago, Badger73 said:

I could see this as a post-2017 CMFI "Battle Pack" module as well.

It won't be a "Battle Pack". No new models or TO&E in battlepacks. It doesn't fit as a vehicle pack, either, since the TO&E changes would be significant, even going back into Tunisia. So at the very least it would be a Module, and probably a whole new Family, given the additional "local colour" that would need to be incorporated.

I think it's most likely to come out in CMx3, if the architecture choices they make in that putative future product allow for more flexible developments (like having forces separate from terrains).

4 hours ago, womble said:

It won't be a "Battle Pack". No new models or TO&E in battlepacks. It doesn't fit as a vehicle pack, either, since the TO&E changes would be significant, even going back into Tunisia. So at the very least it would be a Module, and probably a whole new Family, given the additional "local colour" that would need to be incorporated.

I think it's most likely to come out in CMx3, if the architecture choices they make in that putative future product allow for more flexible developments (like having forces separate from terrains).

....  ^^^ True.

For now its just the kohlenklau and his gang for a north africa flavour.:)

18 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Try this tiny North Africa scenario out right now! 

army-26[1]

download the scenario AND mods pack

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-fortress-italy/cm-fortress-italy-add-ons/kasserine-rearguard/

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4432

Great scenario! Played it with my own setup for minor defeat.  Won't give any spoilers but it was an edge of the seat battle right to the end.  Tried it again and only got a draw!  Just had a peek at your setup now and think it is a much better setup :)  Might have to try it with your setup and see how I go....

cheers