Windows 10?

I haven't tried it out on Windows 10 myself as of yet. What are you seeing when you attempt to run the game ? Are you running a 1.03 version with the disc copy-protection or are you running a 1.04 version with eLicense copy-protection ? What video card/chip do you have, Intel, AMD/Radeon or Nvidia/GeForce ? Have you installed drivers from the video chip manufacturer or only what has come with Windows 10 itself ?

Have you tried any of the 'compatibility' modes (you would probably want to select 'Windows 7') or 'Run as administrator' ? I'm not sure how well Windows would handle the resolution selection process of CMx1 games. I'm not looking at a copy of Windows 10 right now (so these instructions may not be completely correct), but you may want to right-click on the CMAK icon and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and within here look for 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'. Click 'Apply' and then 'OK' and try it out. It may not make a difference, but it may help.

For me, version 1.04 is running fine in plain vanilla Windows 10 - no need to set any kind of compatibility mode. Only requirement, upon scenario start, is to alt-tab to desktop then back to CMAK to improve frame rate. Only needs done once, and game runs smooth as silk.

I recently purchased the 1.04 version from the Battlefront store. Tried to get my old, retail, European CDV versions running on Windows 10 - no luck with that.

Hope the above helps.

For me, version 1.04 is running fine in plain vanilla Windows 10 - no need to set any kind of compatibility mode. Only requirement, upon scenario start, is to alt-tab to desktop then back to CMAK to improve frame rate. Only needs done once, and game runs smooth as silk.

I recently purchased the 1.04 version from the Battlefront store. Tried to get my old, retail, European CDV versions running on Windows 10 - no luck with that.

Hope the above helps.

Yeah i got it working.. At first it didnt work then i reinstalled it and it worked

• 3 years later...

Hello all.  I am just about to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.  I am in the middle of a huge Pegasus Bridge Campaign game on my old Windows 7 - My CMAK is Version 1.3.

Has anyone succeeded in getting CMAK 1.3 to run on Win 10 - or alternatively where do you buy V1.4 now.  There is no sign of it on Battlefront.com that I can find.

8 hours ago, rangerover said:

Has anyone succeeded in getting CMAK 1.3 to run on Win 10

Yes, I have v1.03 running on Win 10, so it should work.   The only issue is that the resolution options were for old 3x4 screen monitors.  With the new widescreen monitors one will get a stretched image.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Yes, I have v1.03 running on Win 10, so it should work.   The only issue is that the resolution options were for old 3x4 screen monitors.  With the new widescreen monitors one will get a stretched image.

Thanks for that Erwin. I am wondering if making a special window on my monitor and running V1.03 in that will help.  Still would buy V1.04 if available.

My WIN 7 Ultimate got caught in the recent purge on activation - it was an old oem and all I did was upgrade to an M2 ssd and change from 32 bit to 64 bit. Friends say I should do a clean install WIN 7 and see if it activates. But I have already bought the WIN 10 Pro Retail, so one would think that is the way to go.

Thanks for your help.

I have Win 10 64 bit, so should not be an issue.

Not sure there is anything new in v1.04 other than it was downloadable and had the latest security so people could not hack it to get it to run without the disk in the computer.  If there is something new re content or technology, let us know...

Edited by Erwin

1.04 for CMBB and CMAK added eLicense (you would no longer need the CD in the optical drive to play the game) and, more importantly, it updated a few DirectX graphics calls that helped the games run on Windows Vista with DirectX 10 video cards of the time. Driver updates (much later) from the main video chip manufacturers made the patch generally unnecessary. However, it has helped with some graphics issues with Radeon cards (I'm not sure if the drivers ever got updated to fix the issues that could be seen). I think even GeForce video cards eventually had problems that didn't appear if you had the 1.04 patch installed. Again its possible that driver updates addressed those issues (but I'm not certain).

I'm not sure when these patches will show up in the Store again. Steve had mentioned a desire to put a lot of the CM1 stuff back in the store in the past, but it apparently is a pretty low priority issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your help and your advice.  It has taken all this time (3 weeks)  to get CMAK v 1.3 installed and running smoothly (NB) on a clean install of Win 10 Pro. But I have been very busy elsewhere and it only took this afternoon to get CMAK sorted.

Here are some of the issues I encountered - just in case anyone else has a problem.

Installation of V1.1 from the DVD was no problem. But installing V1.3 patch ran into the 'Code 5 Access Denied'  error on the CMAK.exe file. That usually means the upgrader cannot uninstall the old file. So the quick fix for that is to change the name of that old file and the upgrader will not have to delete it. Worked a charm.

Starting the program and I chose the first resolution solution offered with 60 hz -  (I have a Nvidia GTX 970 which is years old but still adequate for my work with a Dell U2415 monitor with native resolution of 1920 x 1200 60 hz) The top resolution offered (I did not write it down) seemed OK. Then on starting the program all was sweet but the image was too large and I could not see the bottom of the screen - disaster for CMAK, of course.

Next step then was to open the program by right clicking and click 'Troubleshoot Compatibility' - I tried Win 68 as suggested and then win 7 but the issue was identified by 'Compatibility' as that I had set the 'Size of Text' in 'Display Settings' at 125% - Compatibility offered a solution which worked, but the panning and scrolling of the graphics in game was slow and jerky.  Not satisfactory but the full game screen now displays correctly.

Now when I open CMAK, I first manually change 'Size of Text' back to standard 100% - change colour to 'Game' and it runs as sweet as a top, and very fast with 32 GB ram and off an M2 PCIe drive. 

Now all I have to do is keep the SS off the Pegasus Bridge.

Once again - thanks all, I still love this game above all other wargames, but yes, I know I have to engage in the latest CM releases soon.

I think the 'top' resolution offered may have been 2048 x 1536, though this isn't supported by your monitor. The next lower resolution is 1600 x 1200, which would seem to be the most appropriate resolution for your monitor, since widescreen resolutions aren't supported. It's possible that the 2048 x 1536 resolution was what was selected and once you reached the 3D battlefield the game 'spilled out of the edges'. This is due to the video driver supporting such a resolution in a 'expanded desktop' mode (where you scroll around the screen that is larger that your monitor's actual physical resolution). However I wouldn't think that it would change by simply changing the 'Size of Text' in the display settings. Deleting the prefs file allows you to go through the resolution selection process again.

For the slow panning and scrolling, Alt-Tab to minimize the game and then remaximize it. This should help with performance and should be necessary only once during a game session (i.e. - until you exit the game and run it again). There are also threads within the CM1 section about 'setting affinity' within Windows for the game. While I believe this in and of itself does not fully affect the display speed (panning and scrolling), others believe that it does help with game performance. 

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Thank you very much for that wrap.

Yes I know that the pref file can be deleted (on another game, is it CMBO the file can be edited, I think) but since I have the game working well and know that there are idiosyncrasies on my system, I am now happy and don't want to muck about.

There is no doubt that changing the size of text setting to 125% (makes the desktop much more readable) and running the monitor at top and recommended resolution caused the game to spill over at the bottom right. Anyway it is an easy fix - and there might be other issues such as clicking Ctrl-+ in GMail to make text larger may have an influence which I have not yet figured out.

Most times on opening the game the panning is smooth - if not I pan a bit and the system often picks up on the requirement and the panning becomes fast and smooth (figure that one out, mate !!)  Otherwise I Alt-Tab and right click the desktop and open Display Settings and toggle Text Size to 125% and back to 100% and the game is sweet. Following your post I will check if it is the Alt-Tab to minimise and then the reopen which causes the change.

Thanks again.  My time is under huge pressure atm - but I will slowly work thru the Pegasus game.