Infantry related

My understanding is that in the overall scheme of things infantry shooting their personal firearms has generally caused few casualties. Mortars and artillery do most of the damage. The job of the infantry aside from finding the enemy is to suppress the enemy and support the crew served weapons. When it comes to small arms machines guns are more effective that the individual assault rifles-especially if its mounted on a stable tripod. Losing the radio and ability to call in fire is considered a very bad thing.

Be interesting to see however if the introduction of optics has made individual shooting more effective.

One thing I would like to see implemented-especially for quick battles is the option for sides to pick some artillery and mortars without having to spend points, same with the other stuff like air support. Some of the nice stuff is very expensive and you have to give up something. It would just be nice to have a nice sized force on force engagement and some of the nice goddies too and just fight it out. A system where you got some slots you could fill with support stuff , or have a tiered point system where you have points for combat arms like tanks and infantry, engineers and separate points you could use for artillery, mortars, air support, drones, EW assets and resupply trucks.

If you give American infantry a target command, they will (almost immediately) use their AT-4s, but their autonomous use of AT-4 against enemy infantry is rarer than autonomous Russian use of RPGs.

The AT-4CS (CS stands for "Confined Space") is designed to have a smaller backblast making it suitable for use from within buildings.

I've setup a test battle with American vs Russian squads in buildings and gave American squads target command against the Russian infantry in the building and have yet to see the American squads use their AT4s against the Russian infantry in buildings. I even moved an American squad outside of the building and targeted the Russian infantry inside the building and they still didn't use their AT4's.

TOWs also don;t seem to fire at infantry inside of building. I would think they would be pretty effective in that role.

I've setup a test battle with American vs Russian squads in buildings and gave American squads target command against the Russian infantry in the building and have yet to see the American squads use their AT4s against the Russian infantry in buildings. I even moved an American squad outside of the building and targeted the Russian infantry inside the building and they still didn't use their AT4's.

TOWs also don;t seem to fire at infantry inside of building. I would think they would be pretty effective in that role.

I haven't really tested TOW humvees but I've seen bradleys firing TOWs at buildings, although after having fired their autocannon for a while. In RL, TOWs are very useful in that role and I think that vehicles should be firing more TOWs at buildings.

Dunno, I've actually seen them fire AT-4s very frequently when given a target order.

I'm referring to US infantry using their AT4s against infantry in buildings. Is that what you've seen when you gave target command?

Did you target the building? Or did you target the infantry inside the building?

I've seen AT4's used against APCs but that's about it.

Edited by db_zero

I believe if you give the infantry a target command (not a target enemy infantry command) they will employ every weapon system they have. So if you target a building they will shoot AT-4's at it. For this reason I tend to use the Target Light command as much as possible, especially in the WWII games. I don't want my infantry wasting all their bazooka shots suppressing targets, especially seeing how inaccurate the darn things are against armor. 

As far as the Bradley is concerned, I believe it is still a known bug that the Brads don't use their TOW missiles nearly enough, especially against armored targets. I've seen my Bradleys plink away at enemy tanks (fully spotted and identified as a tank) with their autocannons for upwards of three turns before finally using the TOW. Even then they don't always use the TOW. Although my personal theory as to why this happens is because the range is so short. Generally this type of thing happens within a kilometer. I also haven't done any testing of my own though, so others can give you a better idea of whats going on with the Bradleys. 

I'm referring to US infantry using their AT4s against infantry in buildings. Is that what you've seen when you gave target command?

Did you target the building? Or did you target the infantry inside the building?

I've seen AT4's used against APCs but that's about it.

I know, and as I already said, I've given a target order on enemy infantry who were inside or outside buildings, and I've seen many M136 rockets fired at them by US infantry, and for this reason I actually sometimes use target light to prevent them from doing so. Actually I've even seen them fire their AT-4s autonomously, mostly when encountering enemy PKMs inside buildings.

Only TOW-2B is used in game.  This has a down-firing, EFP warhead, presumably almost totally ineffective against buildings.

TOW-2Bs warhead is just like Javelin's if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, it's actually quite effective against buildings. The top-down attack profile is probably a setting that can be turned on or off, just like the Javelin which has both a direct attack and a top attack mode.

I know, and as I already said, I've given a target order on enemy infantry who were inside or outside buildings, and I've seen many M136 rockets fired at them by US infantry, and for this reason I actually sometimes use target light to prevent them from doing so. Actually I've even seen them fire their AT-4s autonomously, mostly when encountering enemy PKMs inside buildings.

TOW-2Bs warhead is just like Javelin's if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, it's actually quite effective against buildings. The top-down attack profile is probably a setting that can be turned on or off, just like the Javelin which has both a direct attack and a top attack mode.

No, Javelin has a tandem HEAT warhead and dives on target (and has option for direct attack flight profile).  Tow-2B has dual, down-firing EFP warheads and flies over its target in level flight.

Abdol are you sure about the in building AGS set up time? Im almost 100% its 2.3 min just like mgs and atgms except the at7/13 saxhorn which has the lovely 7 or 8 second deploy time.

The whole At4 thing makes me miss beong able to grab LAWs for use against troops in cover in SF.

As far as Brads with ToWs Ive seen them and the humvee variants fire them.  Not a lot mind but ive seen it. As many hear jave heard me whine about whilst a couple others apparently see their BMP2Ms fire their atgms Ive never seen it in hundreds of BS battles. In fact Ive only seen Redfor equip use atgms twice and it was Ukr. An old BMP 2 used a AT5 and missed and once a T64 used its Kobra to fire and also missed.

As i suggested in the other thread and hopefully we could get developer support instead of a SOP which the designers in the past have kind of said wont happen Id just like something like target or target light but like a toggle for units with autocannon and atgms.

Basically the toggle would be use ATGMs only. If one then there you go. If off its up to the AI.