Something Very Wrong with LOS Through Trees

I bet a lot of players who complain about LOS tend to play from a high camera elevation (a common practice). When you're down in the weeds at level 1 virtually looking over the soldier's shoulder its often a case of 'Oh, I see why this is happening.' There have been multiple posts were a player seems to be relying too heavily on the opponent being slow, blind, and incompetent and is greatly disappointed when their strategy doesn't go according to plan. Granted, in CMSF2 that often works, or in CMRT playing against green buttoned-up T-34-76s.

Many of us play mostly at ground level 1 and try our best to eyeball LOS and play as "realistically" as we can.  There is a a real issue with the "one pixel" gap phenomenon that only the AI can see but which allows a unit to fire and kill through what to Mk 1 human eyeballs at level 1 looks like impenetrable forest.

The other example is the clear LOS that one sees when at level 1 eyeballing the LOS but the unit itself cannot see or fire at what seems to be an easily visible target to the human eye.  One experiences that situation very frequently in urban scenarios and also along straight roads that do not appear to the human eye to have any obstructions.

Maybe not a game-breaker, but it happens frequently enuff to be irritating.

Edited by Erwin

On 4/5/2020 at 6:22 PM, MikeyD said:

I bet a lot of players who complain about LOS tend to play from a high camera elevation (a common practice). When you're down in the weeds at level 1 virtually looking over the soldier's shoulder its often a case of 'Oh, I see why this is happening.'

Nah, it's when you get down to eye level that you start to notice tanks hiding behind single trees.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:22 PM, MikeyD said:

There have been multiple posts were a player seems to be relying too heavily on the opponent being slow, blind, and incompetent and is greatly disappointed when their strategy doesn't go according to plan.

Here we go again with the player bashing. I'd like to see a link to a thread where a player was relying too heavily on the opponent being slow, blind, and incompetent and was greatly disappointed when their strategy didn't go according to plan.

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Nah, it's when you get down to eye level that you start to notice tanks hiding behind single trees.

Here we go again with the player bashing. I'd like to see a link to a thread where a player was relying too heavily on the opponent being slow, blind, and incompetent and was greatly disappointed when their strategy didn't go according to plan.

MikeyD might be overstating it a bit, but I have watched videos of players playing a scenario who say nothing when they get the drop on the enemy but complain bitterly whenever the enemy gets the drop on them - sometimes within the same minute of action.  It's just the nature of the beast - selective memory.

1 hour ago, ASL Veteran said:

MikeyD might be overstating it a bit, but I have watched videos of players playing a scenario who say nothing when they get the drop on the enemy but complain bitterly whenever the enemy gets the drop on them - sometimes within the same minute of action.  It's just the nature of the beast - selective memory.

Alright, had not considered videos. Of course there will always be some sore losers. But MikeyD was talking about posts on the forum - I've seen many people post frustrations with the spotting system, but I can't remember anybody 'relying too heavily on the opponent being slow, blind, and incompetent and is greatly disappointed when their strategy doesn't go according to plan'.

What I did see, however, were some really clever people able to pick the spotting system apart and find out how it actually works. Which has taught me a lot about the way this game combines abstraction and point-to-point simulation.

Edited by Bulletpoint