• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Cpl Steiner

Something Very Wrong with LOS Through Trees

Oh I thought you were kidding around.

OK here is the story. A while back I played a lot of Magic the Gathering and I wrote a program to help track cards and design decks. It was called Wizard's Familiar. I had a bunch of clip art and graphics of various black cats around to make an icon. That guy was one image that I did not use for that project. So, when I was looking for an avatar I picked that from my HD. Then I used that avatar and the name A Canadian Cat on YouTube and theBlitz as well.

As a long time player of all the cm games i appreciate what the issue is and why he rage quit.

Been there done that and was playing the following week ;)

I was playing a pbm and i shot my opponents tank thru a lot of pine looking trees

Im taking alot of trees

Say 35 trees deep

The position of the trees was quite mixed but i got what i call that "sweet spot"

I was shocked by it cause it seemed like a bug

Tried replicating it but couldnt

Tried other angles but none worked

I have had infantry, at guns , tanks shoot thru building windows to hit targets on the other side of the building, thru trees and bushes into areas that appear not to have LOS

It rare and happens

The blue line showing LOS is a 98% Indicator as to what you can see

That is taken from a certain point from the unit / vehicle that can see or shoot

Other points "may" be visible of your unit to the enemy 

Ie your tank 

Your LOS blue line is showing LOS to the ground point also

A higher object ie vehicle will possibly become visible that is just outside of the blue line LOS zone

Cover with deep trees is usually ok i note

But there are gaps and there is that small chance

Its rare but happens

I personally play with the LOS viewers as a rough guide

I roughly know i can see something in that area but it is not guaranteed or as clear cut especially with terrain features and moving tanks or infantry moving or ducking

You need to all take that into consideration

This applys to CMBS as well 

Posted (edited)

Line of sight in general can be a bit stupid sometimes.

I played the second battle in the demo for Final Blitzkrieg, but did it for the Germans, and had a Sherman outside one of the houses about 10 meters away. The German soldier inside the house couldn't see the tank unless he went up on the second floor. There was nothing blocking the line of sight between him and the tank when he was on the ground floor.

Another situation was a German with a panzerschreck using the slow movement command and crawling towards an American halftrack to knock it out. Although he was about 5 meters away from it he couldn't see it properly but had to stand up and start walking normaly before he could shoot at it.

Edited by BornGinger

Have often said that CM is a bit like "The Game Of Figuring Out LOS".  One learns to live with it.  But, yes, it is frustrating that the AI can spot a one-pixel wide gap between dozens/hundreds of meters of foliage and kill a tank.  You as a human player cannot see that by getting down to ground level and eyeballing it. 

Also, in urban settings particularly, we often are unable to see or target an enemy when eye-balling would indicate there should be no problem.  The WYSIWYG that is claimed does not often work in practice.   However, imo best thing is to be happy with what aspects of the game work well (and that is a lot), and ignore the frustrating bits.  Maybe CM3 will work out these kinks.  A major reason am starting to look forward to that version rather than waiting for the game to get to early eras.