Final Blitzkrieg release update

I've got a quick update for you guys on the release of Final Blitzkrieg (and also the battle pack).

We are currently in the process of transitioning to a new website and a new webstore, both of which will be much more modern, flexible, and user friendly than our current one. Final Blitzkrieg and the CMBN Battle Pack must launch along with the new website. This was originally planned as happening in late January. However, it is becoming clear that the website will not be ready by then. Our main effort right now is to as soon as possible get the contents of the old website moved over to the new website, and shake out the last of the issues with the new webstore.

Once the site and store are done and we're confident that things are working as they should, we can begin preorders for CMFB and release the CMBN Battle Pack. Our timeline for that happening is "ASAP" (think weeks, not months). In the meantime though, CMFB now has more polish time: the game has already gotten a few more scenarios to ship with than it would have otherwise!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, Chris.

That actually works well for me, as I just had to eat an insurance deductible (leaky pipe). I was preparing for purchase envy as other folks got CMFB before I could. Now, hopefully, I can get it on release day, or not too long after.

I am looking very forward to seeing the new website and store. Congrats on those projects being wrapped up.

On final polishing for CMFB...

since there is still some time, my 2 cents would be to compare the new flames and the stock hit decals and other effects to Vein's Effects package and try to make the stock work on par with Vein's stuff. The new flame graphics are much nicer than the old, but from what I can tell, they could still be tweaked for a more natural look. Vein's hit decals are a very large improvement over stock, and hit decals really enhance the player experience. Upping the game on those could really add some punch to the out-of-the-box experience. As for smoke and tracers, personal taste is more in play there, but the stock smoke could probably use a bit of a "dirtying" to give the billows more definition (like in Vein's) and the stock tracers could be shortened/toned down to be less laser-like (again, using Vein's as the yard stick to measure against).

The stock vehicle and soldier textures look very nice. I notice an improvement with each major release. As I've mentioned in other threads, some of the new CMFB stock textures seem to be on par with good mods.

Still, the hit decals, smoke, and tracers (and perhaps a further tweaking of the new flames), could use an upgrading to bring the stock graphical experience closer to the full potential offered by the current game engine. With the time available, at least the hit decals might be improved. Those wouldn't take too much time from what I can see comparing stock files to Vein's.

Here are some images to show stock hit decals vs. Vein's Effects decals:

Stock CMFB gun hit

23888013974_3a89c68044_b.jpg

Vein's Effects gun hit (and smoke)

21195505871_ab7b4c5580_b.jpg

And a side by side from my current game:

24148299389_89843bf115_b.jpg

The larger, more defined torn metal edges make the hit decals look much more natural. Part of this is that with the very narrow stock torn metal edges, it's difficult to notice that the decals are being rotated to simulate variety. The stock decals can almost look like just a black dot on the regular vehicle texture sometimes. The styling of Vein's stand out as being an actual hit with the more visible torn metal.

Anyhoo, if no work can be done, fine. I just wanted put this out there, as there is still "polishing" time and perhaps upgrading the stock hit decals could be done quickly and cheaply, providing a lot visual enhancement to the stock game for minimal time and resource input.

Edited by Macisle
Added pics to show point.

More time to check out the winter mod for CMRT by Kohlenklau and Barabaricco. It is really something special. Those guys deserve our attention, because they did an incredible job.

And if you want to go Bulge, try the free base game of Command Ops 2. The Bulge on an operational scale. Deep and addictive. I'm playing a scenario on the 116th Panzer at the moment (one of the three included scenarios) and there are minutes I'm not even thinking about the release of CMFB.

I can imagine that new website would be a challenge-and-a-half to complete. We CM players tend to forget BFC doesn't just sell CM products. There's lots of other games to account for. I expect everything in their inventory from "Empire of Steel" to "Strategic Command" will need its own sections up and running, not just CMFB. Yeh, that sounds like a major undertaking.

I can imagine that new website would be a challenge-and-a-half to complete. We CM players tend to forget BFC doesn't just sell CM products. There's lots of other games to account for. I expect everything in their inventory from "Empire of Steel" to "Strategic Command" will need its own sections up and running, not just CMFB. Yeh, that sounds like a major undertaking.

Yep, 15ish years worth of stuff to move over. It's a PITA and I've got the relatively light duties for it!

ChrisND Will the log-ins be the same as before? - The two different logins required for the Battlefront forum and store can be confusing for my 'puter

I'm actually not sure, hopefully Steve will be pop in to answer that shortly.

well at least i'll be able to get some more work done before I cease to exist for a week.

I know what you mean. I already have my resignation letter prepared for the day that XCOM 2 releases.

(hopefully Steve doesn't read this)

Edited by ChrisND