Russian army under equipped?

I dunno, successfully bogging it at the first attempt, then un-ditching it in around a minute (without using anything other than manpower from the CEV) looks like a damned good sales tactic to me.....'"Try not to do this, but just in case you do.....";)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

There are rumours the development program for the new long range strategic bomber is effectively closed (pushed till after 2030). Production of the overhauled Tu-22M will be restarted instead. May be we will finally stop trying to build a near-peer to the US military at not so near-peer 10% of their budget.

Edited by IMHO

On 2/23/2018 at 4:38 PM, IMHO said:

RPG MIRVed

IMHO,

As someone who used to deal with ballistic missile stuff, that's MRVed (Multiple Reentry Vehicles), as opposed to MIRVed (Multiple Independently (Targetable) Reentry Vehicles). Yes, I know. Ballistic missile grog! Fascinating field expedient, though.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, IMHO said:

DEVGrus

Believe this is taking the whole wooden round concept a bit too far. This is what happens when there's a problem at the factory or the budget is cut, but the general running the training is more astute, keeps his funding, and the training goes forward! Are these guys what used to be called (or still are) Spetsnaz?

Regards,

John Kettler

16 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Are these guys what used to be called (or still are) Spetsnaz?

1. I don't know if these particular guys belong to Spetsnaz. I took the pic from just a collection of a section of fun on a Russian military forum. A decade ago this type of camo was exclusively issued to SOF of MoD but now one can literally buy this type of camo in a Voentorg (military surplus shop). 
  2. Colloquial name - yes. Formal is SpN - Spetsialnogo Naznacheniya, "spetsnaz" has become way too abused. But SpN does not necessary mean tough guys - some obscure chemical or electronics guys may be SpN as well.
Edited by IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Never even heard of the SSO up until now. When did they become their own branch?

34 minutes ago, HUSKER2142 said:

The internal layout of tank T-80BVM, tankman friend said that  gunner's workplace is times better than T-72B3 tank, but the commander's place did not like it.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3159376.html

Beautiful, if only I got command a T-80/T-84 or a T-72b3 in Steel Beasts.

IMHO,

The only problem with that video is that the song is enormously distracting. For all the right reasons. Here's one that doesn't have the same kind of soundtrack, but I find it practically impossible to watch the video because I get swept away by the music!

Regards,

John Kettler

akd,

Great footage, and so nice to be able to generally hear what these vehicles sound like without somebody's idea of musical styling, PAs blaring, numbskull talking heads, etc. What is that AFV at the ~5:00 mark? Looks like it might be a VDV item configured for ground combat and air defense. Kurganets is a monster, the complete antithesis of the BMP and looks to be bigger than the Bradley, which is an achievement--of a dubious sort.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

This may or may not be old hat, but Russia's MoD has officially confirmed it's buying 2 x T-14 Battalion and 1 x T-15 Battalion. Article did not cite a delivery date. These AFVs are officially listed as being for extended trials, with NO production decision until 2020.

http://www.janes.com/article/77950/order-for-t-14-mbts-t-15-heavy-ifvs-for-extended-trials-confirmed-by-russian-mod

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

A 2013 RIANOVOSTI article and video on the Ratnik prototype factory tests. Focus is on TWS and interface with soldier's HMS. System can resolve a Delta T of .10 Degree Centigrade. Not good for US/NATO. Claim is TWS effective to 1200 meters. Think crew served weapons, maybe snipers (12.7 mm OSV-96, example) that far away. Image in video not sharp but adequate. TWS video shown is from an unknown distance.

http://www.military.com/video/guns/rifles/the-ratnik-future-soldier-system/275927623100

Regards,

John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...