Russian army under equipped?

Though this is essentially the same video twice, the subject matter is worth it. Russian Special Forces doing daylight small arms training in close to full kit. Lots of things to see, including some noteworthy moves. Can't say I'm impressed with the standards of marksmanship overall, and you'll see why. That said, these guys may be really early in the training cycle.

The one below appears to be some sort of antiterrorist Spec Ops unit, judging by actions such as VIP protection, an unusual approach to a kill house, storming a building to capture an armed terrorist, a fascinating Russian approach to the Rat Patrol, what look to be red dot scoped ARs, working with Tigrs, paradrop in full war array to presumably attack some terrorist base, etc. These guys are way better than the ones in the first video. You will be sure to notice some major differences in typical US approaches to taking down a building and the Russian one. Additionally, I noticed a cool bit of chrome. The interior of the large Tigr roof hatch has camo fabric on it in order to make it much harder to tell whether the gunner is there and if so where relative to positioning against the hatch. When you see one sequence, you will again wish BFC could give us dynamic cover, since the lack of it greatly reduces the utility of AFVs when working with infantry.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I think that wherever Russian SF, or VDV shows up. They ****up in some way. If we look at their elite, of the elite. The Alfa team. They have taken severe beatings, whereever they showup. They even had to retreat, in one of their ****edup tryes to free hostages, under heavy own losses.

And in Beslan hostages crysis, they took a severe beating. With several losses, and a few hundred dead hostages.

In Moscow theatre, they know that there would be a lott of dead Alfa and hostages. So they chosed the easy way, use gas to kill the terorists, and 129 of the hostages. Now for the first time they could show no own losses, and only a total of 168 dead hostages, of which "only" 129 died of the gas. And "only" 39 where killed by the terorists. By Western standards, it have to be regarded as a complete succsess.......:rolleyes:

But as Stalin once supposed to have said : One dead human, is a tragedy. A million dead, is only statistics.

They do beat all Western units in shows though. Thats where they really shines. And that goes to all Russian, so called Spetsnaz (Special Forces).

Their physics are probably second to none. Probably not their shooting skills either. So my guess is bad leadership, and/or bad tactics.

Oh i almost forgott, thanks for the videoclips John

Edited by Armorgunner

9 hours ago, Artemis258 said:

No serious state threats to Australia mate, hasn't been for a long time (though we do have a fetish for being invaded - we really want to matter. Makes us feel important on some cultural level). Last time we deployed tanks at all was Vietnam, and these days we certainly don't have enough for it to really matter. 

Again take a gander at how Canada went from retiring their tanks to acquiring new ones, or how the USMC operates armor. You don't need a lot, but tanks can be very useful across the spectrum of conflict, rather than simply being ready to fight Chicoms in the Darwin Gap.  

That and we all know you're going to invade New Zealand one of these days just out of spite and to lay claim to their one strategic resource, even more sheep. 

Remember how the last Emu War went? Imagine now emu, sheep, and kiwis! The horror! The suffering! I can't see why Aussies would ever put themselves through that!

OT: It's interesting to see kitted out Kalashnikovs. It still looks a little wrong to me. Would Spetsnaz have any real role in Combat Mission? I know Cold War plans had them sabotage ammo depots, bridges and other disruptions during the opening shots of the war, but those actions don't seem to fit CM's picture.

1 hour ago, HerrTom said:

Remember how the last Emu War went? Imagine now emu, sheep, and kiwis! The horror! The suffering! I can't see why Aussies would ever put themselves through that!

OT: It's interesting to see kitted out Kalashnikovs. It still looks a little wrong to me. Would Spetsnaz have any real role in Combat Mission? I know Cold War plans had them sabotage ammo depots, bridges and other disruptions during the opening shots of the war, but those actions don't seem to fit CM's picture.

Depends on what you do with it. In Chris' CMSF airborne campaign he had a scenario "the snitch" that had a combined airborne and SF team attempting to retrieve a human intel asset. Really fun scenario. 

10 minutes ago, General Melchid said:

Sometimes such a shame that every one is on such high-alert for trolls; the internet is a funny place.:ph34r:

I must say that in my experience this forum has very few 'troll problems' compared with a great many other sites I visit.:)

I agree, with the last part. And I dont want to be the one that changes that!

Edited by Armorgunner

3 minutes ago, General Melchid said:

You seem genuine enough to me; sometimes many English speaking westerner's forget that it not everybody's first language and it's easy for a non-native speaker to come across as abrupt or even rude.

In that, you have a good point. But my post really invited to a flamewar. You should not step, on anyones pride.

13 minutes ago, db_zero said:

May as well ask....are there any plans to model the MOAB soon? ?

And in that case, the 3-4 times bigger Russian FOAB? Would fit perfectly in CM. One bombrun each, and its all over.

(Bigger or Bigger,  but according to russian sources. It contains an tnt mass, equivalent to 44 tons of it. In its thermobaric warhead. But take it with a  grain of salt)

Edited by Armorgunner

12 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

And in that case, the 3-4 times bigger Russian FOAB? Would fit perfectly in CM. One bombrun each, and its all over.

May as well ask....are there any plans to model the MOAB soon? ?

Im sure there are maps big enough to accommodate the mile wide crater

I for one think it's perfectly reasonable that a C130 would fly over the frontlines in CMBS' world in order to deliver a MOAB. It's not like it's an easy target or anything. :D

The Russian thermobaric bomb at least has the advantage of (on paper) being delivered by a strategic bomber.

Doctrinally, these are obviously released to the platoon leaders to call on at will, right? :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, HerrTom said:

I for one think it's perfectly reasonable that a C130 would fly over the frontlines in CMBS' world in order to deliver a MOAB. It's not like it's an easy target or anything. :D

The Russian thermometric bomb at least has the advantage of (on paper) being delivered by a strategic bomber.

Doctrinally, these are obviously released to the platoon leaders to call on at will, right? :ph34r:

There have been stories of platoon leaders in Viet-Nam calling in B-52 strikes on targets so I guess its not completely out of the realm.

I could see a MOAB or thermometric being used as a pre-planned strike right before an assault on a key position. Be kinda cool to have one go off on turn 1 and you then move in to clear it out, but then you'd have to simulate rubble, blown out woods a massive crater and to be fair to the defenders you'd have to give them tunnels or something to hide under.

IIRC the Command and Conquer Series had the MOAB in it.

Guys,

MOAB was just dropped in anger only a few hours ago. Worked great. Untouchable cave contents, including jihadists? Surely you jest?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politics/afghanistan-isis-moab-bomb/

MOAB BDA

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/asia/afghanistan-isis-moab-bomb/

One thing that really annoys me is our MOAB requires a highly permissive air situation in order to be usable from a C-130 series prop driven Hercules, whereas the Tu-160 can carry FOAB into battle while itself fitted with chaff, flares and jammers. Not to mention the speed differential. If you don't read the second link material, it says the area of destruction is the equivalent of nine city blocks.

Regards,

John Kettler