Russian army under equipped?

1 hour ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

Russia ceased production of the T-80 in the 1990's although Ukraine still produces variants. The T-80UK command tanks have a thermal gunners sight as do a handful of T-80Us that were upgraded in the 90s before Russia shifted priority to the T-72B, but the basic T-80U does not.

In Russia, there were many tanks T-80UD, turret identical to tank T-80U. After renovation the tower is mounted on the chassis of the tank T-80BV. Russian Ministry of Defense is going to modernize the T-80BV tank for example as T-72B3.

В России осталось много танков Т-80УД , башня танка идентична танку Т-80У . После капитального ремонта башню устанавливают на шасси танка Т-80БВ . Министерство обороны РФ собирается провести модернизацию Т-80БВ по примеру танка как Т-72Б3 .

What about Tigr-M with Arbalet-DM? it entered service.They were added to the units of Southern Military District (first photo). To my mind, it's sad, that we haven't russian serial equipment in the game, for instanse MANPADS Verba or RPG-30 (small-serial in SMD), and what with KAMAZ-5350 and URAL-63095? They all are in service. And i want to watch old russian vehicle and equipment in the game, such as T-80U, GP-30. 

Why it can not be added in the game? I don't talk about future, AGS-40 or RPK-16 and etc., i agree with that we needn't introduce units, that are not in service.

3988226_original.jpg

Sophist_13,

Welcome aboard!

You're barely in the door and are already raising some great points. Since I had no idea what Arbalet-DM was, other than that it was a RWS, I thought I might be looking at some sort of single ATGM mount with integrated obscurant dispensers, but as you know, and quite a few may not, it's more prosaic. 12.7 mm HMG. How would we cope without the internet when it comes to topics like this? Note, too, this is being used as traveling security for ballistic missiles.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 2/8/2017 at 9:06 AM, Vanir Ausf B said:

My understanding is the GM-94 is not issued to regular Russian infantry. It's used by Spetznaz and security forces, which are not in CMBS.

That's not entirely correct. GM-94 is also issued to SSO units (as was evident during their actions in Crimea) and engendering units, which are actually present in CMBB. It is said to be a very effective and handy weapon system. However given the way that the game designers have nerfed RPOs, I would not really miss expect anything from it in the current game engine.

On 2/25/2017 at 6:05 PM, John Kettler said:

AK-400 and other small arms on the Poligon at Alabino for live fire tests by the troops. Judging by weapon optics and other things, I think some license fees are owed!

Regards,

John Kettler

On 2/2/2017 at 5:47 PM, John Kettler said:

Since I was already on the ARES website, I took a gander at some of the free reports there. As a result, I discovered the Russians have an infantry weapon in service, have had it for years, which isn't in CMBS. Checked the manual to confirm this is true.  It's called the GM-94 grenade launcher, and it's seen combat in Chechnya and was spotted in Crimea in the hands of Putin's green men. Report has photos to prove both. The primary munition, the VGM93.100, is remarkable, a plastic cased (near zero primary frags) thermobaric munition capable of smashing through a wall or breaching armor 8 mm thick. Those of you who paid attention to Suvovov/Rezun's specific statements about Russian reasons for strange calibers will appreciate this is a 43 mm projectile, not a 30 mm or a 40 mm. Something else to consider is that while US 40 mm HE and HEDP have MSDs of over 100 meters, it's 10 for the grenade from the GM-94, with a lethal radius of 3 meters. What I find excessively exciting is that number is also the arming distance for the grenade! Perhaps our Russian and/or Ukrainian contingent have more info on where the GM-94 fits into the Red Army. Earliest Russian Army procurement was for what was undoubtedly a Spetsnaz Regiment.

The Russian GM-94 Grenade Launcher

http://armamentresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/The-Russian-GM-94-Grenade-Launcher.pdf

Regards,

John Kettler

I would like to know where the association with AK-400 comes from. I have heard the new "SSO" model being called AK-74M3, which is much more in line with KK's naming. Also, as it has already been pointed out - it  is very poor etiquette to quote Survivor. In this particular case his argument is not factually based. All weapon calibers are designed based on very strict design specifications that are set out for them. Russians had no issues using 12mm caliber for field guns, howitzers, tank cannons and naval tertiary  - most of those systems had used different ammo and loading methods. Same goes for 76.2mm and 155mm. In fact the new A65B and MSTA-S systems don't even except older 152mm ammo.. yet the Russians don't seem to be too bothered by it...

On 2/26/2017 at 5:26 PM, HUSKER2142 said:

BTR-82A put thermal imaging sight, thereby increasing its effectiveness. Plus to increase its export demand in the global arms market.

На БТР-82А поставят тепловизионный прицел , тем самым увеличить его эффективность .  Плюс увеличить его экспортный спрос на мировом рынке вооружения . 

http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3568367

http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3332957

Any idea where they are getting the matrices for thermal sites? I have a strong suspicion that they are still communing from France despite the highly publicized embargo,,,

DreDay,

Am running down the information now, but here's a most useful multimedia briefing on the BTR-82A.

https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.wordpress.com/2016/03/11/btr-82a-apc-russia/

And the answer is, with near certainty, it's home grown, which is what I expected to be the case. Why? As long as the armament is just a 30 mm auto cannon, there is no need for super duper thermals with very long range. Therefore, a much less capable detector array will suffice. This one has 640 x 480, which I've read is the limit for what the Russians themselves could build. That's why the Thales Catherine was bought, for it provided reach no homegrown system could. Below is a very good translation from original Russian on the manufacturer's (ROMZ.RU) TKN-4GA03 product page. There were four small pics of the sight as well, but they didn't show. Never in my entire life have I seen such incredibly detailed information on Russian electro-optics.

(Fair Use)

Purpose:

The TKN-4GA-03 thermal imaging combined sight is designed to conduct observation in combat conditions, search, detection, target identification and aiming from the cannon-machine gun complex (30mm cannon (2A72, 2A42, etc.) and PKT machine gun (M) caliber 7.62 mm), from the machine gun (machine gun KPVT caliber 14.5 mm and machine gun PKT (M)) weapons of the BTVT facility for ground and air targets in day and night conditions. 

Modification of TKN-4GA-03 is a modernized sight of TKN-4GA-02 with KDU VPS and placed in the product by the all-weather thermal imaging channel (instead of combined day and night at the EOP). The use of the thermal imaging channel in the sight of TKN-4GA-03 makes it possible to observe, conduct targeted fire at ground and air targets around the clock, including in adverse conditions: smoke, fog, dust, snow, rain, masking.

The sight of the TKN-4GA-03 provides an increase in the range of vision and aiming of the object by a factor of 1.5 to 2 with respect to the serial product, irrespective of the level of external illumination, time of day, seasonal and weather conditions, the characteristics of the combat situation on the ground, Passive mode.

The sight is designed for installation in wheeled armored personnel carriers such as BTR-80, BTR-82, BTR-82A, as well as in BMP, BMD, MT-LMB, PT. 

Structurally the main version of the sight of TKN-4GA-03 consists of: 
- thermal imaging multiple channel; 
- daily single channel. 

The main technical characteristics:

Thermal imaging multiple channel:

- spectral operating range, μm

- microbolometer receiver format

- pixel size, mkm

- the field of view in the vertical direction, deg

- the field of view along the horizon, deg

- Temperature resolution, ° K, not more than

- Range of recognition of the standard target of the "tank" type, m, not less than

- detection range of the standard tank-type target, m, not less than

8-14

640x480

17x17

6th

2 500

Daily single channel:

- Increase, times, not less than

- Angular field of view ... °, not less than

- Diameter of exit pupil, mm, not less than

- Removal of the exit pupil, mm

- Transmission coefficient t , not less than

- Resolution limit, ang.sec, not more than

25 ± 6

Range of diopter adjustment of eyepieces, dpt, not less than

± 4

Periscopic properties, mm

310 ± 2

Range of alignment of the line of sight along the horizon, etc., not less than:

- for thermal imaging multiple channel

- for a daily single channel

- common for both channels vertically

± 12 (± (0-12))

± 12 (± (0-12))

± 12 (± (0-12))

DC supply voltage, V

27th

Power consumption, W, not more than

Time of readiness of the sight to work after switching on, s, no more than

Weight of sight, kg, no more than

26th

Overall dimensions of the sight, mm, no more:

600x350x350

Thermal imaging sight TKN-4GA-03 has insensitivity to external light (the flame of shots, fires, spotlights, etc.), provides visibility of the target in conditions of rain, fog, snowfall, dust curtains. The sight allows you to detect targets through camouflage nets, thick bush, thin layer of earth. At night, a target, even near a bright light source, is confidently detected through the sight.

Regards,

John Kettler

1 hour ago, DreDay said:

That's not entirely correct. GM-94 is also issued to SSO units (as was evident during their actions in Crimea) and engendering units, which are actually present in CMBB.

Any proof for more than 50pcs in a well-known tender?

watch?v=giTSvTFtjOQwatch?v=giTSvTFtjOQ

Here is a video of them being used by regular army units; no idea how many have been purchased so far, but I doubt that they came from the tender for SSO and 45th ORBr that you are referring to..

Edited by DreDay

5 minutes ago, DreDay said:

watch?v=giTSvTFtjOQHere is a video of them being used by regular army units; no idea how many have been purchased so far, but I doubt that they came from the tender for SSO and 45th ORBr that you are referring to..

This is a chemical warfare unit (however strange it may sound with MGLs :)) - they are not part of Russian SOF. There are others you might have seen but they are not part of SOF as well.

5 minutes ago, IMHO said:

This is a chemical warfare unit (however strange it may sound with MGLs :)) - they are not part of Russian SOF. There are others you might have seen but they are not part of SOF as well.

Yep, that's what I am saying... same guys that are using RPO-Ms in CCMB

30 minutes ago, DreDay said:

watch?v=giTSvTFtjOQwatch?v=giTSvTFtjOQ

Here is a video of them being used by regular army units; no idea how many have been purchased so far, but I doubt that they came from the tender for SSO and 45th ORBr that you are referring to..

We should give every Russian unit a GM-94, but switch out their modern gear for 1980s PPE. :P

I don't see point of GM-94 when you can use RPO on same targets.

First, RPO-M and MGL would have different uses. Second, it would be stupid to issue en masse MGL that differs in ammo from underslung GLs. Though stupid does not mean impossible in Russian military purchases :D

Edited by IMHO

If I understand the Shtora part of this video correctly (note conditional) from what I'm seeing, then I believe the Russians are being shortchanged in how Shtora is being depicted in the game. Seems to me it can deal with a lot more than just a horizontal threat. You, especially our Russian speakers, tell me, for I find the visual evidence compelling.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

DreDay,

This is gray scale FLIR imagery from a modern 640x480 detector array based FLIR. From what I've seen of the thermals on the Armata, this thing really good, but it lacks the long range optics of the latter, not to mention the much larger detector array and digital signal processing. Still, it gives at least some idea of what such a system can see. Relative to the spotting a tank at 2500 meters, the long range here is nowhere remotely close to that, and even Zoom can do only so much. 

Regards,

John Kettler

21 hours ago, akd said:

Well yes, I mean I don't see point of utilizing GM-94 in a "flamethrower" unit supporting a motor rifle / tank unit in conventional ops.

It's not a flamethrower literally. It's fuel-air. You should understand it was not developed for military and it was done with so specific objectives in mind that it has little place on a battlefield in it's current form. It was not a Milkor MGL role.

21 hours ago, IMHO said:

It was developed for Ministry of Internal Affairs nor for MoD requirements. Basically SWAT tasks - CQB, room clearing with no frags going through walls, non-lethal projectiles etc.

Yeah, as I've said - I can live without them in CMBS perfectly fine; the RPOs do need to be fixed though as they are next to useless right now... quite contrary to their real life reputation.

Edited by DreDay

Here is, I think, a very good article on the T-72B3M/T-72B4, with lots of hi res color photos of it and various systems and components. Those who can read Russian will find it has considerably more information as well that isn't in English.

https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.wordpress.com/2016/03/28/new-upgraded-t-72b3m-mbt-also-called-t-72b4-will-enter-in-service-with-russian-army-in-detail/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler