Russian army under equipped?

On 12/24/2016 at 10:52 PM, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Hospitals, aid convoys, and markets too!  LOLZ!

True, although there is unfortunately no merit in a moral high ground on this position. I remember some hospitals, aid convoys and markets in other countries that have been bombed (Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine, Jemen, etc), some of which happened very recently. Perhaps with different intentions, although sometimes perhaps not. End result is similar: unnecessary dead civilians.

To be complete: the image of Russian jets cluster bombing Aleppo apartments gave me the chills, just like Israeli jets/artillery employing fosfor shells against Gaza. Since the UN is what it is, there will be probably more of these crimes against humanity in the decades to come.

I don't want to start a who's got the biggest discussion, but thought some balancing was needed ;-)

19 minutes ago, Machor said:

Why weren't the new Abrams in Europe not given a temperate paint job stateside - or will they not get one? (And what's that blue on the turret front?)

"US tanks arrive in Germany to help Nato defences"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38537689

_93302406_b1e32b0e-f3e5-4332-98e2-b830fe

The paint used on US military vehicles is called CARC,(Chemical Attack Resistant Coating), and is extremely hazardous if not applied under correct conditions. This includes being used in an airtight tent while wearing full body protective suits and an outside air supply. It is a time consuming and expensive process.

15 minutes ago, VladimirTarasov said:

http://function.mil.ru/news_page/country/more.htm?id=12107642@egNews 

BMP-2Ms confirmed on some upgraded Russian BMPs in service. So finally I can use BMP-2Ms! :D

The best option for the modernization of BMP-2: it would be the installation of the complex sight PNK-2-42, the installation commander's panoramic sight and replacement of 30mm ammunition to a more modern. Fortunately for the 30 mm ammunition finally took and decided to replace it.After that BMP-2 will last for another 15 years as BMP 2nd category if there is kurganets-25 entered service.

Лучшим вариантом для модернизации БМП-2 : было бы установка прицельного комплекса ПНК-2-42 , установка панорамный прицела командирского и замена 30мм боеприпасов на более современные . К счастью за 30 мм боеприпасы наконец то взялись и решили заменить .После этого БМП-2 сможет прослужить ещё 15 лет , как БМП 2й категории если когда то КУРГАНЕЦ-25 поступит на вооружение . 

41 minutes ago, HUSKER2142 said:

The best option for the modernization of BMP-2: it would be the installation of the complex sight PNK-2-42, the installation commander's panoramic sight and replacement of 30mm ammunition to a more modern. Fortunately for the 30 mm ammunition finally took and decided to replace it.After that BMP-2 will last for another 15 years as BMP 2nd category if there is kurganets-25 entered service.

Лучшим вариантом для модернизации БМП-2 : было бы установка прицельного комплекса ПНК-2-42 , установка панорамный прицела командирского и замена 30мм боеприпасов на более современные . К счастью за 30 мм боеприпасы наконец то взялись и решили заменить .После этого БМП-2 сможет прослужить ещё 15 лет , как БМП 2й категории если когда то КУРГАНЕЦ-25 поступит на вооружение . 

Bro in there it says "Berezhok" has been installed, so basically it's the same as the ones in the game. Panoramic sight for commander included.

5 hours ago, Splinty said:

The paint used on US military vehicles is called CARC,(Chemical Attack Resistant Coating), and is extremely hazardous if not applied under correct conditions. This includes being used in an airtight tent while wearing full body protective suits and an outside air supply. It is a time consuming and expensive process.

Thank you for this info - I infer from this that the vehicles would not likely be repainted before being sent to depot maintenance, which I assume should not be necessary anytime soon for these vehicles just arriving in Europe. Which means that if they were to go into action within the timeline of CMBS, they would still be in desert colour. I looked in CMMODs III and didn't find a desert skin for the Abrams - skinners' work would be appreciated with this.

*cough* Dunkelgelb Ami *cough*

I just checked the manual (no time to fire up the game now) and BMP-2M in game has Kornet. Here's from the manual: "Two different versions of the BMP-2M are being produced by different factories. The version currently in Combat Mission is the "Berezhok" version, while the other version is the "Kurganmashzavod", named after the factory that is producing it."

Chudacabra,

Started reading the impressive article, but I'll have to postpone it because I lack both the mental focus and the energy to read the article equivalent of War and Peace. The blog absolutely baffles me, since it's configuration is unlike what I'm used to. There is no homepage per se, no statement about the site or the author. Neither is there any indication of what the prior posts were, just the months and years.  This blog is bizarre in those aspects.

Regards,

John Kettler

Though I get over there once in a blue moon, there are all sorts of useful military videos on Kaotic. Be advised the sidebar and footer are full of very adult content and that many of the videos should absolutely not be seen by kiddies, your maiden aunt, etc. That said, here are just a few of the things I noticed.

Tu-22 M3 strike videos vs ISIS in the best footage I've seen to date. Looks like they had a drone overhead. Beautiful aircraft footage and a look in the bomb bays. Iron bombs which look like they could be from the GPW. Bombing accuracy not impressive generally, if target cross hairs show where the bombs are supposed to land. TOW vs Kornet in a kind of counterbattery fire. Barrett vs Kornet, too, in antmateriel role. What I believe to be an Iraqi M1M Abrams hit by an RPG (?) at an intersection and reversing. Action is from ground and an ISIS drone. AT-3 Malyutka of some sort vs building. TOW vs infantry. Turkish tanks coming to bad ends in Syria. Didn't know they had tanks there. Some first rate sniper material showing how relentlessly a sniper can dish it out, especially when people do stupid things. My favorite is a black clad guy who is head up and stays up (no prairie dogging at all or repositioning) against a light gray cinder block wall as background. That idiocy is appropriately handled.

But the crown jewel of what I saw is from some enormous battle in which, if reporting in the caption is correct, ISIS lost 480 KIA. 480! The image quality, sadly, isn't good, so it's hard to see much of what's going on in the distance, but what's there is simply tremendous. It looks like someone stomped an anthill, so many ISIS types in all black are seen running away under fire and into buildings, while others in the distance try to get out by road in vans and maybe trucks. The haze, dust, bad camera and other things make it very difficult to see that part of the action, but several get zapped. I have never seen a war video like this one, and it's long, too, something like 10 minutes of furious outbound fire, including a ZU-23 armed technical blazing away, as well as, if I haven't conflated it from a different video, airstrikes. You can see the Iraqi command group at work, with the CO on the horn talking, I believe, to the aircraft.

Would add that I wish I could throttle the people doing the captions, since captions are so terse as to be all but useless as to the particulars of the combat event. Wish they were more akin to the YT info blocks. That would greatly improve the value of the videos.

Regards,

John Kettler

Those new divisions appear to use a mix of tank types. Below you can see the new 90th Tank Division and the new 42nd Rotorised Rifle Division stuff.

(this is the 90th TD)

(this is the 42nd MRD)

As a recap, currently Russia has, in terms of divisions already formed or being formed, usable against Ukraine:

1. 2nd MRD (reinforced to a 5 or 6 regimental structure)
  2. 3rd MRD (standard MRD)
  3. 4th MRD (reinforced to a 5 or 6 regimental structure)
  4. 10th TD  (being formed, standard TD)
  5. 42nd MRD (standard MRD)
  6. 90th TD (standard TD)
  7. 144th MRD (standard MRD)
  8. 150th MRD (standard MRD)

About 1/2 of this force is forward deployed in the jump off positions on pre 2014 Ukrainian border, the rest is deployed in the 2nd operational echelon and is being regularly exercised in long (up to about ~5000km long) combined (road/railroad/airlift depending on specific unit and situation) marches during random, sudden readiness checks (during which they march those distances in days from being alerted).

Edited by ikalugin

ikalugin,

Very much appreciate the videos and OOB. Am hardly expert at Russian tank ID these days, but I believe most of the tanks in the first video are T-72B3M. Did I also see a few T-90S? Whatever they were didn't have the prominent laser shield of the former, which I'd previously associated only with the T-80. It wouldn't make a whole lot of logistical sense to put two separate tank types in one division, though I will admit there's considerable commonality of parts. 

And while I have no real idea what she's saying (other than she's talking about the Kurganets 25 and its features), who can resist the cute reporter who gets to not only drive the Kurganets 25 but shoot the automatic cannon, too?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

In the first video I see 90th TD using 2 T72B types, as far as I am aware they are transitioning towards the B3 standard.

The 42nd MRD appears to use a mix of T80Us and T90As, in my opinion T80U usage is a stopgap solution for the time being.

But then you would probably be better off asking BTR.

Edited by ikalugin

2 hours ago, ikalugin said:

The 42nd MRD appears to use a mix of T80Us and T90As, in my opinion T80U usage is a stopgap solution for the time being.

“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”

42nd MRD is formed from 8th, 17th and  18th Motor Rifle Brigades and use T-72B3.
"На полигоне Гвардеец экипажи танков Т-72Б3"

TV Zvezda use “stock footage” to illustrate exercises when they don't have a correct one from this unit. In this case they used 4rd TD (only unit with T-80U) and 2nd MRD (T-90A).

Edited by Bydax

ikalugin and Bydax,

Thanks much for the info. Was unaware the Russians had any T-80Us (or T-80s of any variety) in service these days at all. Is there some sort of Know Your T-72 Variants chart? If so, please post, since I'm woefully ignorant on their distinguishing features. Stock footage is one of the banes of my existence, with a particularly egregious case being the History Channel's use of 1940 Ardennes panzer attack footage for Battle of the Bulge. Awfully jarring to hear the commnetator talking about Panthers and mighty King Tigers while viewing hordes of Panzer Is and IIs swarming from out of the forest.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Bydax,

Outstanding! Thanks. Have long been able to tell a T-64 from a T-72 by the roadwheels, but what kills me are all those turret features which have so much to do with combat capability. I well recall the near panic that ensued when we started seeing LRFs atop the main guns on T-55s fitted with the Czech-made Klavdivo ("Hammer")  FCS. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler