Russian army under equipped?

2 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

Thanks for sharing.

Is this function to attack a particular position with BMP-3M against NLOS targets implemented in CMBS?

No, indirect fire of tanks or BMP guns is not implemented. As well as AGS-17/30 can't fire indirect, though mainly its used exacly in this way.

Indirect fire of combat vehicles practiced as far as in USSR times. During Donbas war there were many examples of successful attacks against vehicles or fortified points by Ukraininan gunners of tanks, BMP-1 and SPG-9. The spotter with PDA (and sometime with the light UAV) with artillery soft transmitted data fire to the crew and they hit the target with indirect fire. There was a video, where enemy BMP-1 in the trench was hit with two indirect shots of SPG-9

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, akd said:

Watch 8 of 16 fired GLATGMs miss at Army Forum 2020 demonstration:

@1:11:10 first demonstration (I think) of new T-80BVMs has all three 9M119s miss.

Did he say "Yes" ? at 38:07, When the "raket" (ATGM) hit the target? It was for sure, not a "Da" 😁

Edited by Armorgunner

1 hour ago, akd said:

Watch 8 of 16 fired GLATGMs miss at Army Forum 2020 demonstration:

@1:11:10 first demonstration (I think) of new T-80BVMs has all three 9M119s miss.

Interesting. It seems the T-72B3(?) hit all their ATGMs. T80BVM sights not calibrated correctly with the laser beam driving the missiles? IIRC they fire the same missile.

18 minutes ago, Armorgunner said:

Did he say "Yes" at 38:07, When the "raketa" hit the target? 😁

Da! :D

Here is a summary from Sturgeon’s House forum:

27:18 - T-90A misses target with GL-ATGM (hit ground before getting to "tank"), 2nd launch was not shown (i suspect missed, announcer didn't told about hit), 3rd missile hit. 1 out of 3.

36:20 - T-80U cannon vibrates like on those videos of Oplots from European tank competition. 37:08 - missile launch, missed (flies over target). Next GL-ATGM (37:44), same thing - missile flies above target, missed. 3rd one managed to hit a tank. 1/3

45:15 - T-80UE-1, GL-ATGM flies way above target. 2nd one hit (not sure if it was solid hit), 3rd also probably was hit. 2/3

54:57 - T-72B3s. 4 GL-ATGM launches, all 4 hits. 4/4

1:11:10 - T-80BVM. 1st missed, managed to hit a forst about 150-200 meters behind targets, didn't saw 2nd one (announcer didn't told about hit, i guess it missed as 1st and 2nd were launched very quickly and on videofeed of targeted tanks there were no hits) and 3rd one hit a tree behind targets. 0/3

So, in total 16 GL-ATGM launches, 8 hits.

Having taken the CAF Machine Gun course, I do think tripod mounted GMGs and MGs should be able to fire indirect in some situations. Yes, you do have to go out and put out aiming posts and have the guns sited in, but a C6/FN MAG/ M240 can fire indirect, absolutely. 

On 8/20/2020 at 11:10 PM, Haiduk said:

No, indirect fire of tanks or BMP guns is not implemented. As well as AGS-17/30 can't fire indirect, though mainly its used exacly in this way.

Indirect fire of combat vehicles practiced as far as in USSR times. During Donbas war there were many examples of successful attacks against vehicles or fortified points by Ukraininan gunners of tanks, BMP-1 and SPG-9. The spotter with PDA (and sometime with the light UAV) with artillery soft transmitted data fire to the crew and they hit the target with indirect fire. There was a video, where enemy BMP-1 in the trench was hit with two indirect shots of SPG-9

The meaningful difference is that those fancy Russian combat modules (ie Bahcha-U) are integrated via datalinks with the artillery spotters which leads to much easier NLOS use of the 100mm guns.

Not sure this is the. place for this pic of what's likely to be developmental or newly adopted combined midesection and lower torso body armor, but as valuable as it may be to the troops, I fully expect it will be tagged with something like "the full diaper" (probably more scatologically expressed) when they see it. This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pic by Alexander Platonov on FB.

118200403_2952077551567387_6056924889214

Regards,

John Kettler

When it comes to biting martial wit, am convinced nobody can top the Russians. What can be begin to match Coffin for Seven Brothers or my favorite Cold War joke from Russians: What to do in case of nuclear attack? Walk to the cemetery, not run. Why walk? Running might create a panic. Can you imagine the grief a soldier in that overgrown diaper would get from his fellow soldiers?

Regards,

John Kettler

On 8/26/2020 at 3:23 PM, akd said:

Now with less sad! and more boom:

AKD,

That was most interesting, thouh I never did get to see that Pion fire. Apparently did while we got to see the UAV for an age.  Was a Soviet Threat Analyst when we got the first imagery on that monster Pion, which was a deep strike weapon. GSFG definitely had them, for I saw pics of them on flatbed railway cars. Noticed a radical new high efficiency muzzle brake on the Gvodzika and what looked like a drastically improved (much longer tube) on another. Saw T-14 Armata and the Bumerang, but either missed the Kurganets or it wasn't there. Noticed Kobra was there including the two engagements at once ATGM version.  TOS-1M seems eminently applicable at CM map sizes. Akatsiya has evidently been replaced by Msta-S. I know the Tornado is high tech compared to the BM-21, but I don't understand the benefit of going from 40 tubes to 36, unless maybe there's a weight issue because the considerably longer range rockets are much heavier. What's with that FORUM ARMY marking on a bunch of the AFVs?

Regards,

John Kettler

On 7/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, John Kettler said:

Mods,

This seems like a good place for this video, but if not, by all means move it.

9K115 Metis-M vs Syrian T-72 (flank shot). Note that the tank continues moving and apparently turns on its smoke generator, too. Am classifying this as a K-Kill. FX modders will find this video of interest, both visually and acoustically.

Regards,

John Kettler

Damn. That is a great video

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where it better to post, so let be here.

The accident happened during maneuvers in Russia - AT-5 Konkurs ATGM, launched from BMP-2 hit T-90A. There is no photos in proper quality, so hard to say the tank was penetrated in side turret or no, or ERA block was activated, but you can see the tank cought fire and probably significantly damaged. Also I wonder either was Shtora turned on or no.

EiC4HhdXcAEigyq?format=jpg&name=small

EiC4HhXXgAMSjEY?format=jpg&name=medium

EiC4HhRWsAAwPKC?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Haiduk

Strange.  There appear to be two vertical elliptical gouges in the side plate and plenty of evidence of blast damage (breaking and separation at top, separation at bottom and vertical crack partway across).  The only thing I can think is that the missile struck from behind parallel to the side plate and into the side storage box.  Detonation of tandem charge right next to (but parallel to) plate produced the two dishes in the armor, but the penetrator actually went forward next to plate and into smoke launchers?

Bit better resolution here: https://www.tanknet.org/index.php?/topic/14200-history-of-soviet-tanks/page/260/&tab=comments#comment-1495822

Edited by akd

18 hours ago, akd said:

The only thing I can think is that the missile struck from behind parallel to the side plate and into the side storage box.  

And this is right! 

Here the unoffical report about this accident:

During the practice of attacking side, the one T-90A of separate tank battalion of 1st motor-rifle regiment of 2nd Guard Taman' motor-rifle division was hit by practice or HEAT shell, probably ATGM from own BMP-2, driving slightly behind on right flank. The shell hit the right turret toolbox. The box, which served like a "screen" was annihilated with explosion as well as the box with OPVT (deep wading system) and AAMG box with bullets, also external fuel tanks on the right shelf were broken, one of them was broken completely. The mark from the hit remained on the antineutron defense plate on the turret. The fuel from the tanks ignited and from the right side the tank burned thoroughly. But looks like there was no penetration. The commander got burns, rest of crew didn't suffer.

Haiduk,

Working with the IDF, the US did a survey of loss causes for Egyptian tanks during the 1967 War. This was published as a SECRET level study called COMBAT DAMAGE TO TANKS in the JMEM (Joint Munitions Effectiveness Manual), the CLASSIFIED weaponeering (assigning the correct weapons and quantity to damage or destroy specified targets) handbook set for all US military services. Those analysts conducting the field survey got quite the shock when they discovered that a bunch of sure sure kills by HEAT and HESH had been stopped by things like headlight flanges, brackets, lifting eyes, etc., leading to ricochet, munition destruction, deflagration, premature detonation, munition dudding and more. Here, it was apparently a toolbox performing the same way. Noted with interest that the track appaears intact despite all the excitement above it.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

Not about Russian army directly, but about Russian weapon. 

Azerbajdzhanian T-90S, export version of T-90 mod.1992 (but with welded turret like on T-90A) was hit by Armenian ATGM, probably AT-4C/AT-5. The missile hit in the front turret, ERA activated properly. But looks like the missile and ERA explosions have damaged optic on the turret, also, probably, the crew panicked - they abandoned own tank, which could drive yet and fled. The tank was seized by Armenians. 

3kEoBSa0g-RBmKHbQVid0_-kH-xDkoCfncb3I22J

Edited by Haiduk