Russian army under equipped?

Swedes looked at several NATO mobility exercises and came up with their time lines and some conclusions. You can see the relevant screenshots below.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ELl5KItX0AEsiFY?format=png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ELl5KJeXYAAi-sN?format=png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ELl5KJcWsAAR-8B?format=png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ELl5KwQXUAAc-Tw?format=png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ELl5KwlWwAAzOZ5?format=png

The long story cut short - it takes 2-4-6 weeks to reinforce Poland, which would imply that a rapidly developing crisis in Ukraine would not allow significant NATO reinforcements.

Edited by ikalugin

Western press keeps mum on the fact that Zelensky backtracked in Paris on full disengagement argeed at advisors level by all four sides inculding Ukraine in September. He seems to be more wary of 24% that voted for Poroshenko than of 74% who voted for him. Having 2-3 KIAs a week on either side is more politically acceptable for Ukrainian establishment than ending the hot phase of the conflict. Even though the current situation has been going on for years and it does not lead anywhere.

Edited by IMHO

• 3 weeks later...

I think we will probably see Sprut along with BMDs in the forthcoming module.....I'd like to see the Nona & Nona SVK too, but I suspect they might be represented as off-board artillery in the same way as the 2S31 Vena in the current Russian TOE:

1920px-2S31_Vena_-_Oboronexpo2014part3-0

IMHO what the game really needs are Russian & Ukrainian HMGs, ZU-23-2s, a selection of MRLs & several more flavours of T-72 (T-72A, T-72AV, T-72B1 (m.1985 & m.1989), T-72BM, T-72BA & T-72B3M would all fit right in).

Some UnCons would be good too.....I may have mentioned that before.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Carve 3 hours out--all at once or in chunks--and watch this Russian weaponry extravaganza. Has everything from flare pistols to DSSS (Deep Space Surveillance Systems), with a military intelligence content so great that had it existed during the Cold War, the CIA would've issued a "Name your price" collection requirement in order to get it. No,  I'm not exaggerating. Got so totally overwhelmed by what I was seeing I had to stop, probably resuming tomorrow. Footage I guarantee you was TOP SECRET in the USSR was all over the place in this video, including live fire on the vast proving and exercise areas, manufacturing operations, extreme closeups of systems I saw only as deliberately degraded satellite imagery or drawings; missiles out of their canisters are in a bunch of shots, when all we had when I was a Soviet Threat Analyst were, in many cases, best engineering assessments.

Analysts would be busy for months, if not years, extracting military and technical intelligence from what's there in the video, and I've seen only half. Estimate hundreds of reports would have to be written and dozens of study contracts, plus, I'd imagine, quite a few engineering contracts let to determine performance using US reconstructions of Soviet or Russian technology. Small arms, sniper/countersniper weapons, AFVs (including T-14 Armata), artillery, multiple varieties of helicopters, including the previously unknown to me Mi-35, SAMs (long piece on Tor), coverage of S-400 Triumf, armed hovercraft, on the flight deck and  inside the carrier ADMIRAL KUZNETSOV.  Lots of CMBS relevant weaponry up close and even inside. Have NO idea how this ever got approved for release. I don't speak or read Russian, but the BTR-80 keyframe alone sufficed to draw me to the video. It's fairly easy to follow the tech spec side of the video, so extracting dimensions, range, mass, basic weapon performance and such is pretty straightforward. Shudder to think what I missed in the sea of commentary, but I count myself fortunate anyway.

Regards,

John Kettler

Guys,

If you watch the video immediately above, you'll see that the Nona is eminently capable of devastating direct fire, so can function as an assault gun quite handily if needed. It would be a fantastic weapon for MOUT, since it could deal with an enemy in skyscrapers easily, something few weapons can because of elevation limits. All Nona versions are shown, and coverage begins at 1 hr 18 minutes.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 7/27/2019 at 11:08 AM, IMHO said:

48 was stated as total weight before. Thanks, it's new information and the numbers now look closer to what the weight should be. I guess we'll see a slow weight creep as new systems will finally take shape. But my uneducated guess, it's up to a decade before we'll see Armata the way it was promised to be. If ever... It's hard to imagine an exports market for Armata. The price tag will rival if not exceed Leclerc, K2 and Abrams. Russian tanks are competitive on the market because of the low prices and only when equipped with French thermals. As long as we sell T-90s at half or even one third of the price of Leclerc - these are completely different markets. But it's hard to imagine French will continue supplying their thermals when Armata is gonna be in direct competition with Leclerc. Once Russia shoots into the the premium ladder the questions about the quality of thermals, gun stabilizer, engine will be tabled in no time. And without export sales Armata will always be too expensive for Russian MoD due to low production rates. And European and US producers can always jump ahead of Armata by mere switching to 140mm or electro-chemicals at one tenths of what Russia spent on Armata.

IMHO,

Have read the Russians licensed the Catherine FLIR and repair capabilities from the French manufacturer Thales. Love the InflatoFlanker! Did you know they also had inflatable full size subs? We thought they were real from satellite pics until a storm unmoored them and blew them ashore.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Here is a most interesting Kornet video. Not only does it cover the tank-killing Kornet-E and other variants of the missile, but there's much more than the shocking to me range numbers, with some as high as a staggering 10 km. For reference, that's over three times what the 3000m Gen 1TOW had. What makes this video particularly valuable  is that it provides a great overview of Soviet (later Russian) man-portable ATGMs, starting with the AT-2 and going forward from there, as well as the data placards, live fire and damage to both range targets and combat post-strike imagery (demolished a Merkava) from super close range. There's also imagery of recovered Kornet-E missile debris from Syria. Of particular interest is the Kornet-E double teaming approach to defeat the Abrams, with two separate launchers illuminating it and the second missile arriving almost immediately after the first strike--both against the front.

For me, even absent Russian language capability, other than some military technical words and such, this video was gold. Probably would've been platinum if I'd understood the commentary.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 3/9/2020 at 5:32 AM, John Kettler said:

Have read the Russians licensed the Catherine FLIR and repair capabilities from the French manufacturer Thales

They had used Thales matrices for locally produced tank sights not the FLIRs of French origin. That was for tanks bought by Russian Army and up to the moment the sanctions put an end to that. Exports markets were covered by French sights wherever client desired.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:32 AM, John Kettler said:

Love the InflatoFlanker! Did you know they also had inflatable full size subs? We thought they were real from satellite pics until a storm unmoored them and blew them ashore.

China produces them as well. Actually I do suspect supposedly Russian-made decoys are actually re-branded ones of Chinese origin :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 2:19 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looks like Battlefront were kind of right about the T-90s:

T-90M is not the same as T-90AM in CMBS. Main differences are 2A82 gun like in T-14 Armata and 12,7 mm remote controlled AAHMG instead 7.62 mm

Hi all.  Thanks @John Kettlerfor posting the Kornet vid. I scraped the audio off and got a machine translation. It isn't great so if any of our Russian speakers could edit it please do then we can all benefit from this interesting video.  Please like the bloke's youtube channel, he deserves it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz63ar5uANqYTKJIwnUQucw

English Machine Transcription from Russian

[00: 00: 00.520]

Respected examiner. The video was made exclusively for historical and scientific purposes. in it, not a demonstration of dead people, all shooting takes place at the ranges and not even a domestic cat was hurt. so they brewed seagulls and a pleasant viewing. Good day friends. My name is Kirill. and usually on this channel I talk about armored vehicles. however, today we will move to the other side with a potential vis-a-vis anti-tank missile system. and believe me, the Soviet Union and Russia have much to be proud of. and the main hero will be the apotheosis and the peak of development of the anti-tank missile system Kornet and after watching this video until the end you will learn about its pros and cons and of course why it has no analogues in the world.

[00: 00: 49.660]

and if you put more than 5 thousand of your likes, then I will tell you about all the very unusual options for installing it on armored vehicles and not only equipment. and now a little bit of history. As you know, the Germans were the first to invent and go through the entire cycle of tests on the anti-tank missile system. There were 7 of them. But by a happy coincidence, it seems like they were not able to use it in battle. and actually these developments were used by the French when they created their tank missile system. however, it was the Soviet small tank missile system that was really massive and really fearful of the enemy tankers and the future caused during the Yom Kippur War in the early 70s, it defeated a huge number of Israeli tanks and sometimes inspired fear and horror.

[00: 01: 41.920]

actually still it is in service with, for example, the Chinese army and this is a very worthy indicator. time passed and gradually Soviet designers developed other systems that are still in service. of course it’s a bassoon and rallies and competitions, we can still see them even in the closest countries and right in Europe they are quite effective, but already in the 80s it was possible to say that they were outdated and therefore in 1988 the development began in Tula of that root, this time was difficult to say the least.

[00: 02: 21.280]

in power were not very competent people who were not always loyal to their country. and although the army was large, at that time it was not able to protect its country from the drunkards of traitors and thieves. however, this is a separate story and it can be told, but it is probably not within the framework of this channel. all the same, in the 94th year of the Tula checkpoint at the head of these two wonderful people with mud. still managed to present the world the first versions of the cornet. then in 2008 he was introduced to the max and in the 98th year he was adopted by the Russian army.

[00: 03: 01.720]

and he, of course, was truly the apotheosis of development and surpassed all the analogues in the world, and was not proud of any moves at that time. a powerful system that was supposed to allow enemy tanks to be hit at all combat distances, and not only the system consisted of such containers in which the missiles and the installation itself were ready for battle. The installation itself, of course, was not easy, like the containers, but theoretically, all this could be transferred to a calculation of two fighters. theoretically because it weighs to hell.

[00: 03: 41.140]

and speaking of the complex itself, it primarily consisted of an ordinary leg, people sighted missiles. Well, and accordingly, all this could begin with some additional devices. a regular sight allowed firing in the daytime at a distance of up to five and a half kilometers and falling into an enemy tank with a probability of eighty percent is pretty good considering that missiles usually had to carry two, the probability of defeat was quite high.

[00: 04: 14.170]

talking about how the rocket flew to the target, then in fact the track was shone with a laser from the same sight and behind the rocket from behind. it was very important that the photo receiver was located, which actually received the same laser track and tried to be in the center of it as much as possible, thereby ensuring a high probability of hit. and given that this whole laser beam was good for encryption, it wasn’t so easy to put some kind of interference against visual interference, there were such special light filters that established this on a basic principle that did not allow it to be captured.

[00: 04: 52.890]

by the way, behind us we have the same photo receiver in which the beam was actually received. speaking of shooting during the day, then of course there were no problems with this. in general, in numerous trials, hits were constant and reliability was at a fairly high level. however, for shooting at night it still required something else. and here heat technologies come to the rescue. initially the heat stroke weighed about ten ten kilograms strengthened further from the side. actually its various options you can now see on your screen.

[00: 05: 31.410]

they have proven themselves pretty well. however, you need to understand that this is an extra ten kilograms ten kilograms that you need somewhere and someone to carry. all this had a time limit at change from two to six hours depending on the versions of heat.

[00: 05: 49.260]

however, it allowed to detect and destroy enemy tanks at a distance of 3 to 4 kilometers sometimes they write on all kinds of advertising videos that are even more but probably still not. in addition, the locomotive helped fire in difficult weather conditions in smoke or something like that.

[00: 06: 07.200]

however, nevertheless, the tank was hit by a rocket; initially there were two anti-tank guided standard collective units and prisons. in fact, about the pub there were two charges, one leading in the front, which was supposed to destroy the dynamic defense, but at that time it was already quite common. then we had an engine or specially there is a hole in it for the main charge, which was supposed to pierce the main combined armor of the tank. schematically, you now see this on your screen at first the leading charge then the main charge is already triggered and easily breaks through the armor.

[00: 06: 45.990]

originally it was 1000 1200 millimeters. and of course it was just an incredible indicator; in principle, they still allow you to penetrate practically all the main battle tanks of the world and do it with a high degree of probability, as I already said, hits of about 80 to 90 percent and, accordingly, two missiles were enough. that he is also a modernized version now in which the firing range from five and a half kilometers has been increased to eight. I don’t know how much this is necessary, but the weight has increased from 29 to 31 kilograms in the same container. however, our scientists did not stop there and made a second missile with a low warhead.

[00: 07: 26.940]

what it is. for example, it flies into a building or else somewhere or in an open area there is a line on explosives. when it is enough to spread around the area or the room is undermining it. actually the equivalent of this rocket is about three four bumblebees well, quite well in modern versions, the range is also increased from five and a half right up to 10 meters. however, the weight is also from twenty-nine to thirty-three kilograms. but there was also a third missile with a high-explosive warhead and attention is not compact to blow up a film firing range of up to ten kilometers that it can.

[00: 08: 04.560]

it can hit low flying aerial targets helicopters very slowly planes unmanned aerial vehicles drones anything. in fact, you now see the graphics on the screens who are interested and who, at least a little bit, is not a humanitarian who can pause to consider it.

[00: 08: 23.280]

this as a whole allows working well in theory by helicopter, namely helicopters in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. At the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century, they established themselves as one of the most effective means for destroying enemy tanks and supporting infantry on the offensive. The first combat use was recorded in August 2006. in fact in the Lebanon war the next one where 4 Jewish tanks were hit. Incidentally, August 12 happened in Cherkizovo. No, there are no dead people in the photographs, only the technique. but generally of course. here is the protected Merkava tank against the corvette.

[00: 09: 03.300]

practically no one has any chances. but the Jews took these features into account and it must be understood that Merkava is not the most armored tank turret, but everything is sad with the hull.

[00: 09: 16.860]

they were used in Iraq; they were numerous; they were used in Yemen in Algeria and, in principle, anywhere it is cornet, this is the most supplied technique. in general, in Russian exports, that is, it is really their turn to be worth all they want to buy like hot cakes. supplied them and spontaneously arising parts that were dug up somewhere from the mines in Ukraine. but actually of course not. but they also supplied numerous evidence of whether they are present there just fine. but by the way, somewhere, somewhere, I didn’t read the cornet complaints, I didn’t see, I didn’t hear.

[00: 09: 54.900]

if you heard knew read then of course write about it in the comments how you threw a grenade. in the open hatch of flavors. but speaking about the advantages and disadvantages, I would like to note that all the same, it weighs up to horseradish to horseradish (!) just 20 30 kilograms of rocket in a container of 26 kilograms with an aim of 8 10 kilograms of heat. you need to understand that this is 60 kilograms and the same jamie lynn is in the region of 22 25. although if it's all transported and stationary, then it’s quite an effective tool with incredible armor breaks in 1000 300 millimeters.

[00: 10: 34.580]

it really has no analogues in the world but you need to understand that the caliber is 152 millimeters. the disadvantage is that it is not possible to overcome the normally active defense complex that was massively installed on American tanks abrams. that is, of course, Americans and Germans will soon be put on. but in fact, of course, you can shoot in tandem. Now there they begin to talk about two RPGs 7 here so where you will always find ready to shoot right away with you. Well, to say the least, utopia. and of course, you need to understand that no shot is forgotten, everything must be carried on

end and this is not always possible and sometimes much better than modern Western missile systems in the type of shot and forgot, but I hope when we get to this.

[00: 11: 23.720]

write your opinion in the comments whether this weapon is good or not. my opinion is that it’s worthy considering its price but of course you need to move forward and in no case do you need to stop. and now a very important point. subscribed nikolai subscribed handsome put a bell. generally Vasya well done found a reference descriptions of the second channel is the best. Well, if you remember that every night there is a live broadcast responding well done.

[00: 11: 53.080]

all guys thank you for watching. bye Bye.

4 hours ago, Haiduk said:

T-90M is not the same as T-90AM in CMBS. Main differences are 2A82 gun like in T-14 Armata and 12,7 mm remote controlled AAHMG instead 7.62 mm

AFAIK T-90M still uses the latest reincarnation of 2A46. 2А82 is almost one meter longer - it differs visually.

37 minutes ago, IMHO said:

AFAIK T-90M still uses the latest reincarnation of 2A46. 2А82 is almost one meter longer - it differs visually.

Maybe that T-90M about what you say is T-90MS, export version, which still use 2A46А5 gun