Russian army under equipped?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a juicy in-depth program on Nona, including the radically improved version. As the credits roll, in drives a Vena! There's a Vena in the keyframe, but there is nothing on it in the actual program. Sure wish I knew Russian, for the doc is information rich.

Regards,

John Kettler

Is anyone in a position to comment on the explosive charge weights for the stock Russian 120 mm mortar HE vs that of the Nona and Vena. I got the sense there was some discussion to that effect in the doc, but if there were details, I'd appreciate seeing them. My sense was that the Nona/Vena projectile was considerably more powerful than the one it replaced, but is this true?

Regards,

John Kettler

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/2Б23 If you scroll down to the greenish table - those are the mines. Lines under "Выстрелы семейства орудий «Нона»" are Nona's. Those below "Отечественные мины для 120-мм гладкоствольных миномётов" are "modern" standard ones.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/2С31#.D0.9F.D1.80.D0.B8.D0.BC.D0.B5.D0.BD.D1.8F.D0.B5.D0.BC.D1.8B.D0.B5_.D0.B2.D1.8B.D1.81.D1.82.D1.80.D0.B5.D0.BB.D1.8B Again scroll down to the greenish table. "Нарезные" are Vena's, "Гладкоствольные" are standard ones. Nona/Vena's HEFRAG weight is from 19.8kg for the Soviet mines to 26kg for the Russian ones. Soviet Nona mine contains 4.9kg of explosives. Standard smoothbore HEFRAG mines weigh about 16.1kg with 3.16 / 3.43 kg of explosives. I guess taking into account higher quality of modern steels Nona/Vena effectiveness must be even higher than the direct comparison of explosive weights.

Edited by IMHO

Have just finished watch an engrossing documentary of the design and development of the BTR-90-as seen from the perspective of Russian armored cars going to back to the earliest ones of the 1917 Revolution. Other than great abuse of sepia tinting and a lot of unfortunately blurry period footage, this is a richly detailed program, including declassified SECRET and TOP SECRET material, which shows the genesis of the BTR wheeled AFV family, GPW insights via 251, US HT, amphibious jeep; various State trials, footage from the Amur River clashes in the late 1960s, Afghanistan, including an attack on a convoy at the Salang Tunnel; Chechnya and Spetsnaz actions there; arms shows, design and factory clips, live fire tests, debarking while BTR's on fire training for troops and on and on. Great stuff, even for someone who doesn't speak Russian! Has all sorts of interviews, one with a three star who has a highly unusual MBT model next to him. It looks sort of like a T-64, but the gun appears to have a liquid cooling hose running down its underside, much like the AK-130 naval gun, seen below in the second vid at 0:36. The show begins with some reference to a young soldier who was killed, but I couldn't determine why he was significant. Highly recommend watching this program. Keyframe is BS. Notable by their absence are the BA series armored cars, including the BA-64.

Due to technical problems in which YT absolutely refuses to accept the AK-130 link, you'll need to go to AK-130 Naval Gun vexed123 to see the video.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Normally, I'd post this in CMSF, since it's shot in Syria, but I think it's well worth posting here because of the insights it provides into the Russian way of war. Watch the convoy interdiction strike and think about how the US would typically handle such a target. Notice, too, the size of the craters and placement relative to the targets. Would like to see a close up ground level view, but the message from well up there is the same.

This is also of interest, since it shows what the world looks like through the thermal displays on the Ka-52 and Mi-28 as fixed and moving targets are engaged and destroyed. In the first instance, most of the tactical symbology typically suppressed on DoD video is still there to learn from. If my interpretation is correct, firing range is on the order of two kilometers. While I'm not terribly impressed with target resolution, the tracking gates seem to be superbly stable. 

Regards,

John Kettler

This is military analyst gold when it comes to Russian SOF, especially the combat and related matters: sniper teams with various rifles and how they operate, specially equipped observers, PDAs, thermal sights (Russian SOF own the night, too, certainly vs ISIS) small robo tank, EMCON, OPSEC, SOF in full battle rattle, CQB training and more. Left out the link (breaking it didn't work) because there's blood in a few places, but not in the rest of the video. Just Copy the title and go to YT , Paste and run a search. You'll be glad you did. Am amazed at how much the Russians showed in their official TV release.

EXCLUSIVE: First Ever Video Footage Of Russian Special Forces Eliminating Terrorists In Syria

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

This video, contrary to its label, is by no means just confined to Syria, though much of what's shown does take place there. What this video does do is to show a ton of information on the weapons, uniforms and kit of Russian SOF, operating in all sorts of environments. Much of what I'd hoped to post in the previous video presented by title only is here, and I don't recall seeing any blood in this compilation. There is a considerable amount of thermal imagery in which good things (as seen by us) happen to bad people (ISIS), on a scale ranging from a person to whole groups/. Everything from pistols to PDAs and UAVs are covered. Warning! This video has a thundering heavy metal sound track, so protect your ears.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Knew the Russians combat trialed a lot of new weapons in Afghanistan, but had no idea this one was involved. TOS-1 Wiki says  "First combat tests took place in 1988–1989 in the Panjshir Valley during the Soviet war in Afghanistan. The TOS-1 was shown for the first time in public in 1999 in Omsk." That meant it was used against the forces of the formidable Shah Massoud, known as "the lion of the Panjshir." With a minimum range of 500 m and a max of 3500, the TOS-1 really should be available to the Russians. TOS-1A can reach as far as 6000 meters.

tumblr_oqzm9p6xWm1rqpszmo1_1280.jpg

TOS-1 “Buratino” USSR armed forces in Afghanistan ,1988. Image Credit: https://bmashina.tumblr.com/page/64

Regards,

John Kettler

Nizhny Tagil "Uralvagonzavod" is preparing to deploy serial production of combat vehicles for fire support of BMPT, also known as "Terminator." At present, about a dozen servicemen have arrived at the enterprise to learn how to operate these new machines. Within two weeks sergeants passed a theoretical course on the design of the BMPT, and now they are studying the material part of the machine directly in the design bureau.The first batch of at least 10 combat vehicles. The war in Syria showed that such a combat vehicles is required.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2678157.html

4369103_original.jpg

20 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Oh yes.....Finally!  B)

The vehicle most likely to turn 'ISIS' into 'WASWAS'.  :D

20 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Oh yes.....Finally!  B)

The vehicle most likely to turn 'ISIS' into 'WASWAS'.  :D

What makes you say that? What advantages does it have over up-armored BMP-3?

On 6/16/2017 at 0:24 AM, John Kettler said:

Normally, I'd post this in CMSF, since it's shot in Syria, but I think it's well worth posting here because of the insights it provides into the Russian way of war. Watch the convoy interdiction strike and think about how the US would typically handle such a target. Notice, too, the size of the craters and placement relative to the targets. Would like to see a close up ground level view, but the message from well up there is the same.

This is also of interest, since it shows what the world looks like through the thermal displays on the Ka-52 and Mi-28 as fixed and moving targets are engaged and destroyed. In the first instance, most of the tactical symbology typically suppressed on DoD video is still there to learn from. If my interpretation is correct, firing range is on the order of two kilometers. While I'm not terribly impressed with target resolution, the tracking gates seem to be superbly stable. 

Regards,

John Kettler

I agree with you that resolution is not as good as AH-64D; but some of those targets get engaged out to 8km..that's no joke!