North Africa Mini Mod

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

@Blazing 88's  It says you've been here a long time on BFC forums. 12 or 13 years. Wow. Have you ever released any CMX1 or CMX2 scenarios?

I have no idea the answer. Maybe you've done a lot but long ago? Come on and get back into it and stop that trend you fear! 

No, I do not have the dedication for it.  If I am going to create something it won't be in CM it will be in the 3d modelling /3d animation realm using Maya, 3DS Max or ZBrush.  My CM time is recreation for me and I do not find working in the editor map making recreation, for me it is a chore.  That is why I appreciate the work others have done, as I know it takes dedication to pull it off.

One thing I may try out would be using a master map, cut it up as needed and create a scenario that way, as I would avoid having to make the map.  Someday I may look into that. 

Now a master map of certain areas of North Africa would be very cool...

Edited by Blazing 88's

Map making can be a grueling chore for anyone so I have honked the horn of the "scenario factory" idea many times to rather limited results. A few guys mustered in and we did create some stuff together or some folks had an interest but my schedule or some other issue killed the deal.

But using premade maps to create a new scenario is good enough! Focus your energy on the units and AI. The end result is a new scenario for the community. :D

@Blazing 88's You or anyone for that matter can please feel free to take any of the humble maps I have made or ever make in the future and chop, slice, julienne, modify, edit as desired/needed to squeeze out a new scenario. Please do it! Note: Always delete out all and every single objectives for both sides first.

I know you want to play as axis and lay waste to the allies!

Luckily for you the desert maps really do seem to be the easiest to rapidly make & probably edit for that matter. 

PM me if anyone would like to playtest the new "Kasserine Rearguard" scenario. ~30 minutes tiny battle. Map is slightly growing beyond 208x208. I think it ate some snacks last night and is plumped up to 256x256...

Draft Briefing for "Kasserine Rearguard"

^
It is 0910 on Saturday 20 February 1943. It is a miserable day with sheets of rain being blown by a cold wind from the mountains. The ground is soaking wet and movement is difficult. You wear the shiny gold bars of a brand new 2nd Lieutenant, but many of the men accidentally still call you "Sergeant" or maybe an NCO will still call you "Hart-" if they knew you before the events that gained you the battlefield commission. You command a platoon in the 1st Battalion of the 26th Infantry Regiment of the US 1st Infantry Division, "the Big Red One". The CO, Colonel Stark, hand-picked you to lead this rearguard at this date and time. The location: astride a muddy road in the foothills of Djebel Foussana, the eastern shoulder of the Kasserine Pass. The Colonel had said, "Lieutenant Hartmann, I need you to give me some time...time to pull back and regroup further north toward Thala. Hold them back Gary!" 
^
Your platoon is the finest group of soldiers you've ever served with. They know their jobs and are ready for what is coming up that muddy road. Sergeant Apone scrounged a 37mm anti-tank gun during the retreat up from Sidi Bou Zid. Vasquez has been polishing it for hours and can hardly wait to nail his first enemy tank. Drake is on the 30 cal. Hicks is scouting down the road and should be back any minute. Hudson is one of the best shots in the battalion. Bishop has rigged several demo charges from a crate of AT mines since the Battalion S-3 LT Burke didn't bring enough fuses for more than 1 to be emplaced. Burke just shrugged his shoulders and said sorry and he'd try to send us "something" as soon as he got a chance. Spunkmeyer is on the 60mm mortar and the FO LT Gorman is trying to get a French 75mm battery on the radio.
^  
The Germans tried all yesterday to force their way through the pass down in the floor of the valley. It didn't work. Now they have been seen headed up toward our location. Infantry on foot and vehicles. 
^
The area is dense with brush and light scrub. You had time to dig only a few fighting positions.
^
There are occupy objectives for your main position (400 pts) and several hidden touch objectives to reward the Germans for advancing into your lines. Up to 1000 points can be racked up for destroying the enemy. A 500 point bonus is given for keeping friendly losses below 20%. 

The "Kasserine Rearguard" scenario should be available soon at The Scenario Depot. It is allies vs axis AI.

Likewise, the "Kasserine Rearguard" mods folder that goes with the scenario is now available at CMMODSIII. 

I am also working on a scenario which turns the tables but alters things a bit and you play as axis vs allied AI. It will be called "Unternehmen Sturmflut"....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Kohlenklau (or anyone else who might know)! -

how do I get a building from one CM family into a different family of games? I've tried replacing the signifying number (buildingxxx to buildingxxx) throughout the mdr file with a hex editor. But the game is still not loading the file and crashes out. Is there a flag for each family that needs altering at the beginning of the file? 

Be mighty grateful if anyone can inform me  - save me time trying to figure it out myself.  

@kohlenklau

I understand that you manged to get a flat roofed building from BS into FI. I'm wanting to bring one from BN to BS - nothing to do with north Africa but I noticed in this thread that it can be done, though I note that you appeared to experience a problem before then succeeding. Just wondering what I've missed here because there's a chance it's the same thing that you experienced trying to achieve this.

@The Steppenwulf

OK, there are a set # of mdr's for each game so if you must possibly rename the CMBN mdr file and add a modtag.

and then for the textures the imported renamed mdr calls for you need to possibly rename/modtag them as well.

That other CMBS building you took its slot so it cannot appear in these CMBS modtagged scenarios.

Is this a church or which building type? modular or independent?

• 2 weeks later...

It is a mod to CMFI GL.

Back on page 4 of this thread is a dropbox link but also try the scenario "Kasserine Rear Guard" at CMMODS3/TSD.

Here are the links for the scenario file and the mods to play the scenario. Have fun.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-fortress-italy/cm-fortress-italy-add-ons/kasserine-rearguard/

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4432

7 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

It is a mod to CMFI GL.

Back on page 4 of this thread is a dropbox link but also try the scenario "Kasserine Rear Guard" at CMMODS3/TSD.

Here are the links for the scenario file and the mods to play the scenario. Have fun.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-fortress-italy/cm-fortress-italy-add-ons/kasserine-rearguard/

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4432

ok, thx :)

• 1 month later...

@Ivan Zaitzev

I cannot edit and place it in the first post. But I fixed the link and here it is...AS IS WORK IN PROGRESS

I uploaded a folder with [africa] modtagged German helmets so no grey helmets appear for German Motorized Infantry. :D

Here is the link to my CMFI Africa Mini Mod dropbox.

Please help yourself. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v679vm8rukgk9qh/AABllXmGqJSxCU3MVFyXXlbba?dl=0

Edited by kohlenklau

Didn't see that.  Thank you!

BTW:  Is this the same mod that was available some months ago, or a new updated mod set?

Also, I noticed that the "Stuart III" (Aussie) silhouette is not - looks like one of the French tanks (with the white top).

Edited by Erwin

• 2 months later...

Hello Kohlenklau! How are you?

I have been playing around with your Africa mod for CMFI and it's amazing! I have a couple of questions. The mod I'm using is the one you linked for me on January. Does this mod have everything I need for playing the Kasserine Rearguard scenario or is this scenario played with a different set of mods?

Also, I have been playing around with the scenario editor and was wondering if you have any tips for creating a believable desert environment? What time and place is this mod best suited for? Would it be ok for a 1941 scenario? I want to do something for the Italians. I'm reading "Iron Hulls, Iron Hearts" and there are a couple of interesting scenarios for the Ariete Division, although we are missing M13/40 tanks for late 1941... Anyway, if you have any tips for terrain send them my way please!

Thanks!