The Steppenwulf's UI Icon & Silhouette Mod

Here FINALLY for download are my modified weapon & vehicle icons for CMBS:-

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=2909

Also included but foldered separately and labelled are some previously made vehicle silhouettes. I believe these came from the Euroscape mod for CM Shockforce. 

Naturally there's little point in redoing work that's good but I have included these images with my work for convenience - complementary as they are to the mod. 

I believe credit for the Euroscape work goes to; Donald Abrams, Gordon E. Molek, Marco Bergmann, Stagler, Mord & Paul Gulianelli.

Also included are new special equipment icons, branches icons and C&C icons. Many are entirely fresh designs, I hope the community enjoy them! 

(Note that you'll need the "ukraine" mod tag added to maps to use the ukranian HQ silhouette - I've added this tag as a .txt file) 

I should mention that Kieme has also produced some really excellent UI icons & silhouettes & I encourage players to check that work out (from the BF forums) and perhaps mix and match to get the best of both sets. I mean why not – I would?!

I will be sure to revisit this work at some point, if not before the next module comes around, so constructive feedback regarding adjustments/amendments is welcomed.

URL]ui%20icon%20and%20sils%20mod%20sample%20

Fantastic work,

I was really looking for a mod like this, in order to improve some UI artworks, Juju skipped CMBS and we can all feel it.

I have only recently picked up some modding after a long pause due to personal problems. Thanks for your words, I did a few weapons silhouettes but they can't match the quality of yours, that I will be using for sure, downloading now.

Just gave the mod a quick look and it's fantastic indeed. I swapped 90% of the equipment icons I did with yours, which are much clearer (one for all: the demo charge for example). The binoculars one is extremely good looking.

The idea of mixing various mods is excellent, I would also recomment  Mord's and Vin's:

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

A quick suggestion as a (potential) improvement or change for the future:

the "wounded" version of weapons silhouettes.. if you take a look at Juju's works he tried several variations with his mods about this matter.. I like your idea of a coloured bar because it's slick and fits the original UI, but it is possible that some people with colour-blind problems might have difficulties to distinguish them. You might try to make a classic red cross on White background as an option for a future 2.0 version of your mod.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Thanks for your kind words and comments Kieme.

I did initially produce the silhouettes with the wounded cross idea, so most of the images in this style I have already created. My move away from it was motivated by a break with what feels like a WW2 format to me and an attempt instead to give it a more modern edge with my own stamp on it.

Nevertheless, I do take your point on board and I shall upload both styles as a choice in version 2. We all love options after all!

Good observation! I was aware of the UA/RUS difference also. If I recall right, I think the same distinction applies to the AKS variants and the SVD?. It is something I shall address! 

In my defence, the EE weapon images were far trickier to work with than the US ones - some of them were reworked in Photoshop over and over again just for shading, brightness and contrast -and most I still do not feel completely satisfied with. There does come a point in any piece of work where you think better to be satisfied with 95% of the release now, rather than delay further and tinker, to still get only 99%.

Thanks for you comments and observations - it highlights the tasks for my attention in version 2.

Steppenwulf:

This is great work - good choice of images to use as icons and also an expert job of making sure they read clearly and cleanly within the UI.  Thank you for sharing!

Check your references for the Russian PKP GPMG and Orlan UAV - your icons for these two items depict the wrong real-world hardware. Other than that, well done!

PP - Thanks for pointing these two mistakes out, Russian UAV hardware is an easy oversight but I really shouldn't have erred on the PK!

On the flip side, they are relatively straightforward to rectify.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post your thoughts and advice - it's really appreciated!

If I recall right, I think the same distinction applies to the AKS variants and the SVD?.

Maybe it's not true on 100% cases of personal weapons among soldiers, but you might force the distinction by using, let's say, a black-stock SVD for Russians and a wooden-stock SVD for Ukrainians, while the AKS/SU magazine black for Russians and orange-brown for Ukrainians might work.

Anyway, I do feel your pain with the russian hardware, there are less high quality pictures to scavange (the US weapons have much more references) and adapt (their shapes don't help at all!).

Thanks for this The Steppenwulf and the other modders involved for this excellent work!

Ivanov - Unpack the folder from it's .rar format.

Then copy and paste the folder into (on my PC) C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea\User Data

That should work :)

Thanks for this The Steppenwulf and the other modders involved for this excellent work!

Ivanov - Unpack the folder from it's .rar format.

Then copy and paste the folder into (on my PC) C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea\User Data

That should work :)

That worked, thanks you!

Thanks for all your comments!

I've already applied some UI background polish to this work for version 2 that, in my zest, I didn't get time to apply before I released. That is now complete!

Rectifying those silhouette errors is the next task as well as some other slight adjustments (eg. the UKR/RUS variants). The final task for v2  will be extending the mod with other fresh UI features I'd already been experimenting with before, but wasn't satisfied enough with the final product to include in version 1.  

As far as time frame is concerned - the Easter hols are my target for completion and release. 

• 6 months later...