Overcome Abrupt Map Edges: Method Like Philips AMBILIGHT

how that would work without wasting processor cycles and what it would actually display isn't clear to me.

Argeed if that is it I don't really see how it would help.

I´d rather concentrate on the actual battlefield, not what´s beyond.

In general I agree. There are times when I am trying to get a good screen shot that I wish the the background would continue lower.

I guess no one of you have ever watched a movie with the famous Ambilight effect? It's not what Ambilight shows. It's about what it makes vanish. It's fascinating how the effect works on the subconsciousness. The screen edges vanish and the atmosphere of the picture is expanded on a much bigger area.

Transferred to CM it could mean that the map edges, which IMO are not really helping immersion, could become much less consciously visible and maybe after a few minutes could even vanish completely for the consciousness.

Contrary to Ambilight it could work in both directions: not only from the map away, but also blending the background BMPs on the horizon with the surface.

Edited by CarlWAW

It's an interesting idea, but I suppose the response you're getting is indicative of how everyone experiences the game differently. :)

I don't have a problem with immersion while playing. But man, would I love if the terrain could extend beyond the play area when I take screenshots! It's those static images that I post or use for my comics that drive me mad trying to hide "the edge of the world." :D

GT´s APOS, (ARMA I think) and Fallout/Skyrim series of games use actual terrain outside the playable area. I´d agree that looks better than an abrupt end and a featureless void extending beyond the map. I´ve no idea about that Ambilight technology, but has this ever been used for a computer game? Personally I can´t think of a solution for expanding the map area just for eye candy or immersion purposes, without putting more strains on the games rendering engine and loss of CPU/GPU power for better purposes. How far does 3D terrain need to reach out beyond the playable map area, to provide a better immersion? Or for screenshots? Would do simplified (LOD) geometry already do the purpose? Could staggered 2D billboard like objects do a similar purpose? Should that outside map area be auto generated by the game, or left to be created by a map maker? :blink:

So I guessed correctly. You don't know it, you don't know the effect, but you are already against it. :D
Oh and a movie theatre usually doesn't suffer from a too small screen... ;)

No you guessed incorrectly. I have never heard of it and I was hence making a bit of fun over you calling it famous. I never said I was against anything just trying to learn more and so far I don't see you sharing anything that would help anyone understand what it is, how it works or if it is appropriate here in any way.

LOL last time i was in a theater i was a bit disapoited at the size of the screen actually :) And no I am not talking about sometime in the 90's I mean last month :D

But I don't understand, you say we should use this thing behind our monitors when playing?

Exactly. Two 1 Watt-lasers, one left, one right, directly into the eyes of the player. :D
I mean the principle of Ambilight to overcome the abrupt map edges, not Ambilight itself.

Extension of the map beyond it's edges by cleverly "projecting" dominating map colors further. 

Edited by CarlWAW

I have an ambilight TV and while it surely adds to the atmosphere of a movie (as long as you switch off lights) and makes it easier to immerse in it and forget about the fact that you are sitting on the sofa in your living room, I'm not sure if a colored glowing abyss next to the battle map would make the abyss less obtrusive in CM ;-)

That being said I would welcome any changes that make (or appear to make) the battlefield fade into the horizon more smoothly.

Thanks for another example. I assume it´s the mapper´s task to place the secondary terrain? How far does the off map area reaches out? 

Yeah the mapper has to make it, but it's a bit more advanced than the CM terrain. Generally you get a heightmap that is as big as the main one, just not as high resolution.

As CM has it roots in table wargaming, map abyss problem can simply be solved by putting it on nice 3D table inside a room with wals full of war memoirs :D.

This can be added as a option for players.

i was thinking this as i was catching up on forum posts. other games have done something similar to that too (the first supreme commander, and i think Eugen's Wargame series) not that that's a good reason to do it.