[soon to be released] Juju's Dutch city road & pavement

Juju

Hey guys. In Granny, sorry, mistress Wetherwax's words: I aten't dead! And I've made a new mod too!

What I've always missed in CM's cities are roads are kerbs. Also, I've been wanting to do typical Dutch style city roads and pavement for the Market Garden module for a while now. The result looks quite good, but there are some issues users should be aware of:

-This mod will not look optimal on existing maps as, due to the addition of kerbs, proper use of the appropriate segment, its placement and orientation is vital. This is not always the case on existing maps.
- The kerb and pavement effect also works best when used together exclusively. This, also, is not the case on most existing maps. So, when creating new maps using this mod, avoid mixing in different types of paved ground, as the end result will not look good. Also, when used together, make sure you put a pavement tile underneath each road segment as well. Remember, the Dutch like things neat and tidy! ;-)
- Many road configurations (for which the game's road system often just isn't designed) were always easy enough to fake with the stock roads, without it being too obvious. Once again, due to the kerbs, not so much with this mod!

The mod is intended for CM:BN's Market Garden module, but can basically be used in any CMx2 game.

For now, here's a screenshot. I will upload it to CMMODS in a couple of days!

Juju's%20Dutch%20city%20road%20&%20pavem

I get what you mean, Ian, but they'd need to be tagged to any specific scenario by the scenario designer themselves. There's nothing for me to tag them to, since those new maps do not (yet) exist.

Edited by Juju

Thanks Juji, CM's cities roads would look much nicer with kerbs... especially playing Level 1-2. Looking forward to upload to CMMODS in a couple of days!

I am not a mod tag grog :) but I think... Ian is correct about tagging these mods.

Either way... your idea and graphics are appreciated.

Buzz

Great idea and good looking transformation Juju! :)

With regard to tags, Juju could actually leave them out if someone wants the mod as complete replacement for the games stock files. Optionally he could add some descriptive text about mod tagging for those who just need it for a particular scenario. If the files are pre-tagged, any user needs to import a simple mod text file in order for the mod to load and beeing used. So at last there´s more than one useful option. Also dependent on what ground tiles are replaced, one needs to bear in mind that i.e the highway tiles are already pre tagged with [holland] and thus are preconfigured to be loaded with MG module only. Just some thoughts. Anyway, looking forward to your mod release!

Sure, my thoughts were triggered by @Juju's comment about them not working with existing maps. In my opinion that is a classic use for tags. Without tags I would not dl it otherwise my existing maps will be messed up. But with tags I would so that existing maps still work and maps can be made that do work with the mod. Just one guys opinion.

Edited by IanL

Great idea and good looking transformation Juju! :)

With regard to tags, Juju could actually leave them out if someone wants the mod as complete replacement for the games stock files. Optionally he could add some descriptive text about mod tagging for those who just need it for a particular scenario. If the files are pre-tagged, any user needs to import a simple mod text file in order for the mod to load and beeing used. So at last there´s more than one useful option. Also dependent on what ground tiles are replaced, one needs to bear in mind that i.e the highway tiles are already pre tagged with [holland] and thus are preconfigured to be loaded with MG module only. Just some thoughts. Anyway, looking forward to your mod release!

Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to Juju's 'kerbs' as they are definitely cool looking in the city at level 1 fights.