In memoriam: "The Teacher", Stephen John Hilla (1964-2015)

I was shocked and saddened to see the note near the last page of the CMFB manual pdf. In honored memory of Stephen "The Teacher" Hilla,

Stephen was a warm hearted guy and first helped me on several scenarios way back in 2012. He playtested my CMBN "Bloody Aachen" and "Salvatte il Maggiore Rinetti" and always provided great constructive feedback. We skyped a few times and he told me of his spinal condition which left him in daily horrible pain. It didn't stop him from being a creative fountain for CM. In 2013, we H2H playtested a huge CMFI scenario he had written "Avanti Americani" with rangers landing at a port in Sicily and it took months as it included numerous restarts as he passionately tweaked and adjusted the scenario. I helped him with some briefing images as well. Somewhere along the way I smiled when I learned he had "made the big time" and started doing BFC stock scenarios and maps for CMRT as well as the CMBS Beta AAR scenario that Bil and panzerleader battled over. Stephen was age 51 when he passed away suddenly at home in Geelong West, Australia on 17 November. I hope he had the scenario editor open and was enjoying what he loved! Rest in Peace my friend.

Folks,

Stephen was a good friend and helped bring me into the CM crowd.  Though he lived half a world away, we chatted often and shared quite a bit.  I miss him.  The following piece is from his family:  

Stephen Hilla (deceased)

With a lifetime background in Business and Security – Stephens other interests included working with bands, grid iron, computers, aviation, military history and tactics – Stephen could be a formidable opponent in many tactical strategy games whether they were played on a board or a computer and he was always ready to be a part of any interesting discussion, tale or story. He was recently awarded the credit of being a beta tester and scenario designer for the BattleFront - Combat Mission - Black Sea series…

Unfortunately, Stephen has recently left us far earlier than expected in his early 50’s after a sudden heart attack. Stephens lady partner and family would like to thank all those who Stephen interacted with as he called you all his friends and you enriched his world while he moved across the various military, gaming, general interest, forums and sites that he was so active on.

Thank you on behalf of us all.

5fef2d67-6061-4186-b1b2-c26c8632e662.jpg