Bon Giorno Tomahawks - AAR

Iktah

Hi Community!

Lately I have been getting really into CM, and this is not a small amount of "getting into" It is worse than any man-crush or fem-crush imaginable. My first conundrum was to pick a scenario, and wrestling with the decision to do an AAR on the forums or just badger friends with how great this game is and my ideas for a mission. I finally convinced myself to give AAR a go.. But I had already played most of the games scenarios and a big part of CM for me is to plan for an engagement and the unknown.

A quick solution came to mind because I quickly turned to my good friend Google, he told me about a new thing called the scenario depotIII and a thing called a few good men and greenasjade.

I was thrilled…

After careful consideration I found a new scenario with both Bon Giorno and Tomahawk in its name. Some might call it a bit childish, but I am okay with it as I am sometimes finding myself being drawn to names and a good cover art over a deeper read through of the content.

After a quick download I fired up the game and the process began.. MDMP.. here we go.. that process took about 4 hours and mind you it still is only a rough sketch and I must give a shout out to combatintman for the rehash of the formula.

This AAR follows a rough idea of how I want the presentation to be like, so this is more of a plan, execute and show tid bits of action as the battle unfolds. So without further stalling here it is..  

Situation

July the 13th 1943, the Company with the aid of the 66th tank battalion is moving deep into Sicily moving up rout 124 to seize a town occupied by a weakened unit from the Herman Göring Regiment, estimated to be at weakened company strength (around 10-15% loss in manpower is guessed). Weather is tolerable and will not hinder our tank movement considerably.

Mission

Our company is to seize or expel the German occupants with an encircling manoeuvre. 

Execution

T company is estimated to being able to deploy safely around 200-300 meters from the village with only an enemy reinforced company guarding the village at the initial stages of the battle.

Our infantry company is well led and motivated and committed to the attack, the platoons are well rested and supplied thoroughly for the assault.

The enemy motivation is expected to be weary strong and the village well defended with heavy weapons. Some light fortifications is expected but the enemy has not likely had the time to have constructed heavy fortifications due to the German withdrawal in the area.

They are likely fighting a delaying action to bring up more troops and halt our advance further inland.   

Enemy units is within striking distance from the north and may reinforce the defenders from that direction once the battle starts, these units are likely from an enemy combined arms force including at least a platoon sized element of tanks that will counterattack with mechanized elements.

We can expect the units counterattacking to be supported by artillery when the German counterattack begins.

Our Forces Consists of:

11/179th InfReg HQ

Veteran, motivated, good command, Rested, Ok

1st Jeep Team: Truppner

Veteran, motivated, Rested, Ok

2nd Jeep Team: Novak

Operations Team: Cowher

A Company:

A Company HQ: Tuominen

Veteran, Rested, motivated, Ok.

XO Team: LaVita

1st section HQ Light Mortars: Geer

Regular, Rested, Ok

1st Team: Conrad

Veteran, Rested, Ok

2nd team: Gwin

Veteran, Rested, Ok

3rd team: Prior

Regular, Rested, Ok

2nd Platoon HQ: Smith

1st Squad: Kramer

2nd squad: Mckee

Veteran, exceptionally motivated, Rested, Ok

3rd Squad: Sowden

Veteran, motivated, well led, Rested, Ok

1st Platoon HQ: Glessen

1st Squad: Kaminsky

2nd Squad: Yates

3rd Squad: Houston

Veteran, negative command, Rested, Ok

3rd Platoon: Savage

Veteran, exceptionally motivated, good command, Rested, Ok

1st Squad:

Veteran, motivated, Rested, exceptional command, Ok

2nd Squad: Boggs

3rd Squad:

4th platoon HQ: Rock

1st jeep team: Gwin

2nd HMG Team: Todd

Veteran, exceptional command, Rested, Ok.

11/66th Tank Req HQ: Sieland

Veteran, negative command, exceptionally motivated, Rested, Ok.

1st Platoon HQ: Carollo

1st Medium Tank: Xavier

Veteran, exceptional command, Rested, Ok

E Company HQ tank: Eagle

Veteran, exceptionally motivated, Rested, Ok.

1st Medium Tank: Pinard

Veteran, good command, Rested, Ok

Notes

Scoring is based on loss of manpower (mostly my own objective) and that no German units occupies the town.

Edited by Iktah

..To kick things off here is my first steps of designing my plans for this engagement..

Battlefield Area Evaluation (BAE)

The Map

CM%20Fortress%20Italy%202015-12-15%2000-

NOTES:

Ground Conditions – No overcast or heavy winds means that the terrain is dry, so moving our vehicles off road should not pose any serious problem if we mind our speed

Wind Direction- The weather is mild, we won’t deploy artillery or large smoke screens for this engagement so this will not hinder us in any way. Long range accuracy won’t be considerably affected either by heavy winds

Temperatures – Should have no ill effects on troops or vehicles.  

Visibility -  is generally good under these conditions.

Area of Operations (AO) – Ground Analysis

Key Terrain

1%20KT_zpsa5aqexpx.png

Avenues of approach

1%20AA_zps0ys1oad5.png

Observation:

Visibility is good, the exception is the woods and trees scattered about that limits LOS to around 400 meters and positions behind the village is not visible at the start of the engagement. KT 1, KT 10, KT 7 and KT 8 is vital to establish an all-round field of view and fire bases with good visibility to KT 6.

Cover and Concealment:

From the woods, designated KT 3, over at KT 4 there is a wall near the edges of the west  side which is excellent enemy defence points that overlooks the field separating KT 1 and KT 2 with only minor obstruction in visibility by some trees and gentles slopes. This is an excellent field of fire for the defenders. We have an option to set up our own units in over watch at KT 1 with good fields of fire on those positions.

Key terrain 9 overlooks the fields separating KT 1 and KT 2, KT 4. And the elevations behind it offers Good over watch positions to KT 8 and 7 and parts of KT 6.

The hilly terrain at KT 8 is an excellent point for hull down tanks, it is from there that most of our tanks once there will await the enemy armor or most likely is that our own armor can expect the enemy to already have AT assets there, advance with caution. There is also a T intersection down south leading up to KT 8 AA 4 which is a good spot for armor to be able to traverse if the need arise to fire at the south most buildings in KT 6.

AA 4 and AA3 offers hard cover and concealment for our infantry, AA1 and AA2 offers concealment when advancing

KT 11 is excellent positions for advancing infantry moving into KT 7 from AA 4 and offer a mix of hard cover and concealment. It also fairly close to KT7 so tanks can support the advance from AA 4 if needed.

Obstacles:

Apart from the village itself no real obstacles is present, the exception is that some terrain to the west of the village and the town itself is not ideal for out tanks to cross into. Fields of fire is generaly only around 300 meters due to the scattered tree formations.

The Woods at KT 3 offers a natural obstacle and is our natural point from which we can probe the village defences from.

Key Terrain:

KT 1 – offers us an initial Fire base that overlooks likely enemy positions at KT 6 and KT 4

KT 2 – offers an obscured path to KT 10 which defends KT 6 from a flanking manoeuvre

KT 3 – a natural path from our deployment area to KT 5 and KT 4

KT 4 – offers and additional path into KT 5 and KT 6 and is also a prime occupant of enemy infantry

KT 5 – a series of three buildings which protects entry from KT 3 and KT 4

KT 6 – the main objective and the brunt of the enemy force will most likely be there

KT 7 – sits ideally to over watch AA 4 and protects the flank of KT 5 and KT 6 also has ideal hard cover

KT 8 – protects the rear of the town most likely an enemy assembly area for armor

KT 9 – a good spot to over watch the fields between KT 1, KT 2 and KT 4

KT 10 – a strongpoint that can contain heavy enemy resistance

Avenues of Approach:

AA 1 – a rout with concealment from the town and surrounding areas

AA 2 - a rout with concealment from the town and surrounding areas

AA 3 - a rout with concealment and hard cover from the town and surrounding areas, forested

AA 4 – our main road to bring troops around to KT 11 and KT 8 to assault the town KT 6 and KT 7

AA 4.1 – The rout to approach the town to KT 7

AA 4.2 – The rout from AA 4 to approach KT 8

AA 5 – To encircle the village

Threat Evaluation and Enemy Composition

The enemy is probably a reinforced company with 85%-90% of their initial combat Strength. Enemy reinforcements will most likely consist of enemy armor and halftracks and will be the brunt of the enemy combat strength.

Enemy Tactics

The enemy is most likely fighting to delay our advance

The enemy needs reinforcements to hold the village

The enemy most likely has placed scouts 100 to 150 meters at key locations facing our advance.

The enemy, we guess, knows we are trying to encircle it and will deploy accordingly

Enemy supplies could possibly be low since we have driven them forward deep into Sicily.

High Value Targets (HVT)

Enemy reinforcing Combined Arms Force - The enemy reinforcements is our most high valued targets, since it is mostly mechanized, one key mission is to find ground suitable to ambush them from when they are moving into the area surrounding the town.  

Enemy Strongpoints AT assets and HMGs - Enemy units at KT 10, KT 5 and KT 8 is also considered high value targets since they occupy such valuable ground and will most likely contain the AT or HMGs.

3 – Threat Integration

Likely Enemy Mission:

Enemy is fighting a delaying action

The enemy is to deny the town

The enemy is to inflict casualties and hinder out advance

Likely mission statement:

The enemy company is to deny the attacker the village

The enemy company is to inflict casualties

The enemy company is to deny any flanking action by the attacker

The enemy has orders to hold until relieved

Likely associated tasks would be:

Identify and track main axis of attack

Delay the attacker

Engage High value targets identified by scouts

Preserve own combat power

Enemy Key Terrain:

KT 5 - The access point from KT 3 and KT 4 which is my natural infantry avenue of approach

KT 6 - The Village itself since it is the objective for both sides

KT 7 - Defends the Flank of KT 5 and KT 6

KT 10 - Defends the flank of KT 6

KT 8 - oversees AA 4, AA 4.1 and 4.2

To be continued .. My thoughts now is mostly on the troops, I have some units expecially third platoon which is highly motivated, more so than 1st platoon. So I guess we will have to take the soldier experience, motivation into account in the next post.. untill then

Cheers

Edited by Iktah
Add graphs and text

Great stuff Iktah!

Very impressive :)

Thanks ^^ Glad to hear it. Been thinking about the specified tasks required and here is the first draft:

As a side note, I am looking forward to this battle since I quite frankly like the map, it is... interesting to say the least so a great jobb to the one who made the Scenario.

Next step is to; Analyse Tasks

Task 1
Secure/Clear KT 1 and KT 2 – Establish a fire base and send scouts to KT 2

Task 2
Secure KT 10 – Secure KT 10 and seize it if the enemy has a presence there 

Task 3
Scout/Clear – Scout and secure KT 4

Task 4
Assault – Assault KT 5 to secure the entrence to the village (KT 6)

Task 5
Assault KT 7 – Assault KT 7 to secure the East flank of the village (KT 6)

Task 6
Scout KT 8 – Once the T intersection is reached, we need eyes on KT 8

Task 7
Secure KT 8 – Once the scouts has given us sufficient information of KT 8 it is time to seize it

Task 8
Secure KT 6 – Once the main enemy lines of resistance is found and KT 5 and/or KT 7 and/or KT 10 is secure an assault can begin.

Task 8 Determine Freedome of Action;

I must secure the Village KT 5 KT 6

I can’t cross my boundaries (AO)

I have freedom of action within the AO (the map)

Identify critical facts, judgements and assumption;

Critical Facts:

The enemy is at reduced company strength

The enemy will receive reinforcements of tanks/mechanized

There is an enemy presence in the Village KT 5 and KT 6

We have a full ammunitions load

I have only 3 mortars

I am bound within the AO

Judgements:

There is an enemy presence in KT 5 and 6

There is probably heavy weapons assets at KT 9 and KT 7 KT 10 KT 8

We have around 5 minutes of mortar fire

We have enough fire power and munitions to suppress targets within LOS

Assumptions:

The enemy is around Company Strength

The enemy is reinforced with at least half a platoon in Mechanized and tank assets

There are no or few man made obstacles in the AO

The enemy is likely to have enough ammunitions for a sustained defense

Edited by Iktah

Seems like it'll be a very interesting DAR. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the kind words.

"..Welcome to the forums, will be following this. .." - Rinaldi

Thanks, I feel like this is a welcoming place for new ppl

Edited by Iktah

Hi Forum!

First of, thanks for all the kind words.. feel free to comment or add in if I miss something, I have grown a tad bit fond of my pTruppen and would disslike to see them getting murdered because of my poor judgement. Without further stalling:

So, here it is, the third question, my intent for this bout. I have an idea allready that the heavy fighting must be carried out by the third platoon, 1st platoon is fairly weak in morale. When splitt the problem of motivation is all the more apparant.

My reasoning so far is to have them set up a fire base at KT 1, and scout, keeping most of the squads unsplitt so that they can all benefit from the squad leaders and its half decent platoon HQ compared to the rest of the platoon.  

INTENT GRAPH:
1%20Mission%20intent_zpsmwghixsb.png

Intent

Secure 1 – To create a staging area to assault the village

Secure 2 – To flank the village

Clear 3 – To deny the enemy the main objective and defeat the enemies main effort

Secure 4 – To flank the village

Screen 5 – To Screen to the north to watch out for enemy reinforcements

My focus for the early stages will be to evaluate the enemy presence, I am hoping that they dont oversee the open ground separating KT 1 and KT 2 and if they dont have units in KT 4, mainly the wall the tanks and heavy assets supporting first platoon can lay down heavy fire on the main objective and a group of three houses which has fields of fire at the ground separating KT 1 and KT 2. 

This is all guess work, so only my Recce can give me some ansvers so the PIR is as follows:

PIR:
Where the enemy has its main effort

Where the enemy forward units is

The trafficability of AA 4

// Untill next post with some TAINAI action so, Cheers

Edited by Iktah

TAIs and NAIs

1%20TAI%20and%20NAI_zpszwfze3br.png

Some Thoughts:

Now, we are nearly done with the pre battle planning.. I have decided that the 3rd platoon will advance on AA 3 and the first platoon will secure KT 1 and KT 2 to await further order. Both platoons will scout ahead to pre planned locations. Fire missions is also planned I am firing wildly into TAI 4, but, I am considering German doctrine here, there ought to be something from the Village covering the road (AA 4) a AT gun or a STUG variant. It would be so German it is almost criminal if there is not anything there. So I am throwing a quick fire mission there and will pray to the pGods that there is something there considering that we only have arround 5 minutes of indirect fire. It is however a considerable gamble, and I am not happy about my decision to do it. But I do feel that it is such a good spot. And if there is nothing there at least we have attacked a perfectly good brick wall.

My preliminary assesment of how to divide my assets untill the enemy disposition is known:

NAI 1 correlates to the secure 2 intent on the mission intent graph

NAI 2 correlates to the secure 2 intent on the mission intent graph

NAI 3 correlates to the clear 3 intent on the mission intent graph

NAI 4 correlates to the secure 4 intent on the mission intent graph

NAi 5 correlates to the Secure 1 intent on the mission intent graph

TAI 1 corralates to the secure 2 and secure 1 intent on the mission intent graph

TAI 2 Correlates to the secure 4 intent on the mission intent graph

Tai 3 correlates to the secure / Screen 5 intent on the mission intent graph

TAI 4 correlates to the secure 4 and secure/screen 5 intent on the mission intent graph

TAIs

TAI 1 - This is a ‘secure’ effect , this can be accomplished by our indirect firing assets

1st section, 2nd team,

1st platoon, 3rd Squad: Houston

TAI 2 - This is a ‘Clear’ effect this can be accomplished by our indirect firing assets and tank fire and then a quick follow up of armored units along AA4 to the T intersection.

1st section, 3rd team

11/66th Tank Req HQ: Sieland

Veteran, negative command, exceptionally motivated, Rested, Ok.

TAI 3 - This is a ‘Clear’ effect this can be accomplished by our Tank assets, since the enemy probably will have heavier assets stationed there

1st Platoon HQ: Carollo

1st Medium Tank: Xavier

Veteran, exceptional command, Rested, Ok

TAI 4 - This is a ‘Clear’ effect this can be accomplished by our indirect firing assets

1st section, 1st Team

E Company HQ tank: Eagle

Veteran, exceptionally motivated, Rested, Ok.

1st Medium Tank: Pinard

Veteran, good command, Rested, Ok

NAIs

NAI 1 - This is a ‘Clear’ effect this can be accomplished by 1st platoon

NAI 2 - this is a clear effect this can be accomplished by 1st platoon

NAI 3 - this is a clear effect this can be accomplished by 3rd platoon

1st Squad

3rd Squad:

1st Jeep Team: Truppner

NAI 4 - this is a secure effect this can be accomplished by 2nd platoon

2nd Jeep Team: Novak

NAI 5 - this is a secure effect this can be accomplished by 3rd platoon

1st Squad

3rd Squad:

COURSES OF ACTION

gro This all depends on my inital scouting, but I have 4 COAs ready and the COA is decided when we have established how the enemy is dispositioned and where his main are of resistance is. The COA is as follows:

COA 1 - Left

COA 2- Frontal

COA 3 - Right

COA 4 - Heavy right

Next post will be the first minutes of action, I feel that this is enough and the next step must be decided by a swift and broad scouting action. 

Untill next post // Cheers