CM Final Blitzkrieg - AXIS (Attack) BETA Battle Report

Ok, here are the missing pictures.

This shot shows the position of the Easy Eight on the right at the end of its move - it's harassing the infantry on the right who were moving up to the woods. The team in the middle of nowhere have taken a casualty so far. The Jumbo appears not to have come quite as far and we lost sight of it behind the smoke of the burning Hellcat.
Red lines show Big Kitty's movement plot and you can also see the gadfly quantities of jeeps now buzzing around.
( apologies for forgetting to put the time on the shots - feel free to remind me ;) )

CMFB 250 rt3.png

In the centre, where the Easy-8 ..er .. #8 .. was taken down, the Jumbo hasn't yet moved. Apart from anything else, I'm trying to get a schreck team to the old "Trouble Spot" where he could have a lovely flank aspect to it. It's a looong way through the snow though.

CMFB 250 sc1.png

Another shot from centre right to show all the major players from this turn.

CMFB 250 p3.png

Edited by Baneman

An overview of the town situation, showing the Drilling which moved up to threaten the American MG team ( 2 other infantry units are now putting suppressing fire on the house ).
You can also see the watching jeeps and the 251/17 move I hope will take them out. The risk is that Bil has something else in the woods behind the jeeps with the reach to hurt me, but hopefully not.

CMFB 250 20.png

One thing I forgot to mention - the first mortar round aimed at the heavy TD was being dropped down the tube as the turn ended. Hopefully that will give me a full round of fire before Bil cottons on and moves it ( if he can ;) ).

Man, I'd give a lot to see an egg go down the chimney there... but I'd settle for wounding a couple of crew, they panic, bail out and die to the following rounds... :lol:

It's been nailbiting stuff, waiting for the next turn. And now it's here.

To sum up - The Jumbo retreated. Big Kitty swung around and climbed the rise again. The Upper Jumbo and Easy Eight pulled back ( Bil may be trying to use the burning Hellcats as cover. It didn't work ;) ). I have 2 pics of the action - not sure which I prefer, the first, "action" shot which shows the Easy-8's own shell hitting high in the tree above Big Kitty simultaneously with the arrival of the 128mm round, or the second, "fire" shot.

CMFB 275 action.png

CMFB 275 final.png

You can see the Jumbo further back between the burning hulks. The Big Kitty crew reloaded frantically and got their next shot off simultaneously again. They missed :o The Jumbo did not. :wacko: It hit the weapon mount. You can see the scar in the middle of this side of the mantlet. 10 seconds of reload complete at the end of the turn.

CMFB 275 post.png

Edited by Baneman

This composite shot shows how the jeep, taking fire from my MG42's in the houses, reverses back until the Veteran Panther sees it. It is KO'd with a round of HE which kills all 4 men on board, as well as the hapless survivor of Easy-8 #8. The Jumbo reverses similarly - not sure if the crew have panicked or Bil wanted them to go that way, but they are now also in the Veteran Panther's sights ( it has good LoS although has not spotted the Jumbo yet ).

CMFB 276 2.png

The crew are Regular - only the one Panther was Veteran.

Bear in mind that the TD kill has been at the greatest range - somewhere around 700m or so. The others have been sub-400m, so I don't think the accuracy is unusual.

And they did miss their last shot against the Jumbo - firing over.

Have to admit that it has definitely saved my force :unsure:

CMFB 275 post.png

This one is really cool...Almost looks like it is Big K that is doing the shooting...

You are racking up the kills. Bil is taking a beating (with little losses to your own forces)...Well done ! B)

Let's see if thoose Panthers will claim an additional kill next turn...

Whats the stats ? how many of your confirmed enemy tanks have you destroyed by now ?

Is the gun damaged?

Ha, this is the problem with posting at 2am - you forget to tell people the important information :unsure:

No, there was no damage.

This one is really cool...Almost looks like it is Big K that is doing the shooting...

Whats the stats ? how many of your confirmed enemy tanks have you destroyed by now ?

Sorry, again, probably not enough info - Big K is firing ( big 'splosion = muzzleblast ) at the same time the Jumbo shell hit and ricocheted ( streak on right )

I have now destroyed 8 of the 12 tanks/TD's I have seen.
2 Jumbos survive ( #9 in the valley, the other on the rise ) plus
2 Heavy TD's in the thin woods on the left flank ( ineffectually mortared ).

Score : Veteran Panther - 2 x Hellcat, 1 x Easy-8 Sherman, 1 x jeep
            Forest Panther ( now KO ) - 1 x Hellcat.
            Big Kitty - 2 x Hellcat, 1 x Heavy TD, 1 x Easy-8 Sherman.

Ah Yes, it appears the Tree Force Field still continues into the next CM Install. 

Not really sure what you mean here - the Easy-8 fired high, hitting the tree above the JagdTiger.

I have now destroyed 8 of the 12 tanks/TD's I have seen.

2 Jumbos survive ( #9 in the valley, the other on the rise ) plus
2 Heavy TD's in the thin woods on the left flank ( ineffectually mortared ).

Score : Veteran Panther - 2 x Hellcat, 1 x Easy-8 Sherman, 1 x jeep
            Forest Panther ( now KO ) - 1 x Hellcat.
            Big Kitty - 2 x Hellcat, 1 x Heavy TD, 1 x Easy-8 Sherman.

Impressive score so far! Does Bil has any options left?

Impressive score so far! Does Bil has any options left?

Well, I've been wondering what people think of Bil's tactics so far ?

( just be careful with spoilery stuff )

A small scale attack can seriously dislocate a planned attack, but it is a slightly gamey tactic since it's only in the context of a CM-battle that one could know that the enemy are planning to Probe/Attack/Assault - irl this sort of thing would only happen if one side were trying a Probe and bumped into an enemy Attack.

It's also risky, as there's a danger of overrunning your objectives and being strung out when the enemy attack finally gets going.
Gaminess aside ( it IS, after all, a game ;) ), I certainly would not have acted as Bil has in this case ( although in other battles I, myself, might have been known to attack when "defending" :ph34r: ).

Knowing that some large assets are likely to be in the Axis attack, I would have settled for ambushes, lots of ambushes. There's a good chance the attack could be "encouraged" to develop asymmetrically down one flank more than the other, potentially providing good side shot opportunities on any heavy armour.
Plus, he has a lot of map to work with using the Attrition method.
Given the armour Bil fields, he may have been able to stop me cold.

In game, his initial push had me discombobulated, but when it got beaten back ( when he lost 3 Hellcats ), he appears to have decided to double down on the idea - but the JagdTiger has trashed that idea.

Edited by Baneman

Tactical lessons to be take from this battle: buy more Jagdtigers.  :)

The last few (and the next?) seem to be quite the game swinger. What are your plans/thoughts about Bil's remaining AFVs?

Well, I'm hoping to kill the Valley Jumbo with one or both Panthers ( both have clear blue-line LoS to its position and a fair distance all around it. ).

The Ridge Jumbo appears to be trying to hide behind the smoke of the burning tanks and the trees, although we have seen how forests provide very little cover.
So Big Kitty might be able to get it too.

It doesn't really have anywhere it can go - I can see all the ground it would have to cover - and hiding there has a very short timespan of viability as I could potentially get infantry into faust range through the trees quite soon.

The Heavy TD's have to move too as Bil will know I'm ranging one with a mortar. Where they will go is a mystery - I'm glad I don't have to make that decision - but it's almost certain to be in reverse gear ;)
I imagine Bil will now pull them back ( he'll know I'm aware of their LoS, so will not be moving into their line of fire ), cede the forward VL's and try to catch me moving up to the next set ( quite a distance away ).

Well, that's what I'd do, anyway.

Of course, that's assuming I kill one or both Shermans.
Plenty of bad things could still happen - gun hit, bog, panic etc.

And, of course, Bil has surprised me every step of the way so far, so what I'd do is only marginally likely to happen. :lol: