CM Final Blitzkrieg - AXIS (Attack) BETA Battle Report

Hm...my guess is that they vanish like any other passengers when caught while beeing in riding/mounted mode. CMRT players obviously know already.

Well, if a tank-rider is shot off, a body lands on the ground.

I'm just not so sure about dying at the same time as the tank - suspect there will be no bodies :(

Well, if a tank-rider is shot off, a body lands on the ground.

I'm just not so sure about dying at the same time as the tank - suspect there will be no bodies :(

In my Somebody's Hero CAAR a Panther killed a T34 that had a full squad of tank riders on it. Afterward I was able to see the bodies behind the wreck, so I think something is left behind even when the tank is catastrophically destroyed.

Edited by Bud_B
Replaced Alive with Behind

Yeah, the trail of fallen riders is often a good indicator of how close is too close to use them. ;)

Not sure about explosive disembarkation. Perhaps Baneman can tell us?

But enough of that: no use crying of spilt milk. Mount an attack! Charge! Or something...

Ken

Hm...one would tend to believe with the lower frontal glacis armor of between 62-65mm at 55° and the rather small area close to the ground, would make that area the least likely to be hit and penetrated, also considering that most shots would probably get deflected downwards. :blink:

PantheraScheme.jpg

I'm with RH, and many of my sources also show the Lower Hull at 60mm @ 55 degrees...You would tend to wonder if the U.S. 76mm Gun w/plain AP and APCR can't penetrate the Upper Hull, then there might be a good possibility it shouldn't penetrate the Lower Hull ( since it's only 20mm less, and especially in this case where the Sherman was slightly higher shooting down ). 

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

Mmmm, a hit there is almost always tickets.

What amazes me is how often a shell will hit there, considering that to get that low ( unless the Panther is rearing up over a rise or something ), the shell has effectively almost fallen short.

In this case, I'm irked because Bil is probably a couple of feet higher than me. But c'est la guerre

I forgot the source but I've read where allied gunners would shoot short on purpose in hopes of skipping the round and hitting the under side of the armor. Not sure if it always works but it seems that it would depend on the surface of the ground. I'm sure it worked well on paved and stone surfaces.

Alright, I'm back folks, apologies for the delay. Guests have been shooed out the door and important matters ;) get going again.

First up, a view of the previously mentioned Panther KO.
The just-spotted Jumbo moves forwards with all its friends. 10 seconds after it comes to a halt, the Panther comes into view and fails to spot as quickly. The 76mm is deadly.
The 251/17 in front is below the lip of the rise Bil's tanks are on, so it's safe unless he moves further forward. I've ordered it forward as well to get closer to the lip. If Bil does come further forward, the Veteran Panther ( just to the right of the KO'd tank ) may get a good spot.

CMFB 200 right1.png

CMFB 200 ko3.png

Edited by Baneman

On the extreme left, my squad begins area fire where the suspected .50 cal is firing from. It isn't heard again after the first 10 seconds of the turn. Midway through the turn, a jeep is seen leaving the area, but it isn't an armed jeep, so there's another one, or a team. The rest of the platoon are moving up through the forest, to the right of the firing.

CMFB 200 left1.png

And finally - the question of what to do about Bil's tank push.
Well, they are all oriented to the left ( see top pic ), so I'm going to be madly bold and push forward to the lip of the rise ( one more leg through the thin wood beyond the road bend was added after this screenshot).

It's a Hunt order, so if the enemy move forward, we should stop when we see them. Also, the Stummel and Veteran Panther both have at least iffy LoS if they advance any further. It's just possible I may surprise him.
If not, at least c3k will approve of the blaze of glory :lol:

CMFB 200 kitty1.png

Ditto the above...go get 'em, (Jagd)Tiger!!

Looking forward to the exchange...looks to me like you're making the correct move. Just keep that 250mm of frontal armor -- and that 128mm of kick-a** -- pointed toward your targets...all 4-5 of them.

I remember reading Tigers in the Mud where Carius talked about a particular difficulty encountered when driving his Jagdtigers off-road, even over "short distances" (distance undefined, IIRC) -- the need to recalibrate the gun due to the rough suspension featured in early versions. Not modeled here, I assume, but an interesting thing to contemplate nonetheless.

Edited by PanzerMiller

I forgot the source but I've read where allied gunners would shoot short on purpose in hopes of skipping the round and hitting the under side of the armor. Not sure if it always works but it seems that it would depend on the surface of the ground. I'm sure it worked well on paved and stone surfaces.

Yup, I´ve thought of a skipped round as well. At least skipping HE with delayed fuze settings (air burst!) was some common practice amongst german Arty and tank gunners, when conditions where favourable (long and flat trajectory LOF, hard ground...so basically...Eastern Front), but I think the Panther caught the round while it was bumping backward from the stop move momentum.

Well, things are definitely hotting up.

Bil pushed his 2 Hellcats forward towards the lip. Although the Veteran Panther has some theoretical LoS to their position, that's how it remains. Bil, on the other hand, appears to have bribed the spotting gods. One Hellcat sees and one-shots my 251/17 which was scurrying forward to hide below the lip of the rise.
Big Kitty got 2/3 of the way to its new position.
I'm somewhat irked, since he must have fired practically through the ground to get the hit - see 2nd pic which is what I can see from the 251/17 position. As a wargamer, I now have something to moan about :lol:

CMFB 210 right2.png

CMFB 210 right3.png

I was puzzled as to exactly what the "8th Sherman" was doing, but it moved to a position which now allows it to see my Drilling. Of course, the turn ended exactly as it reached its station, which means it will probably get a shot off before I can move my halftrack. Damn.

In a fit of "to hell with this", I'm moving the VG Panther to threaten it. I can't allow Bil to dominate everywhere.

CMFB 210 centre4.png