Rundstedt Sends His Best - a CMFB Comic AAR

IanL,

Always good to see things from the other end, since I was so trashed I was only reading Bud_B's side of the fight throughout. I wonder how this might've played out had three Brummbär shown up to play, rather than two Sturmtigers. Obviously, it wouldn't have been as cool (or terrifying on the receiving end), but from a purely winning the battle standpoint, I wondered several times about this during the affray. How does the pricing stack up, for starters? Offhand, I'd think the basic math would work, and with some 300 built, compared to Stumtigers they're positively plentiful.

Regards,

John Kettler

On August 31, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Pchandler43 said:

I absolutely love this.

As my own 2 cents...take it for what it's worth...but I spent a considerable amount of time as a .50cal gunner in Iraq. It makes a sound more like *CHUG CHUG CHUG* 

See included: 

Good point! I'll see what I can do to differentiate some of the weapon sounds further. Rat-tat-tat seems too laconic to be an MG42 as well! 

Delighted you enjoyed the comic! :)

Edited by Bud Backer

17 hours ago, Pchandler43 said:

I don't mean to be coming across as overly critical or anything. Just speaking as a veteran, there are certain sounds that you will never forget, and machine guns are very distinctive. 

Not to worry, I didn't take it as anything other than someone wanting to be helpful. :)

On September 2, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Erwin said:

Someone pointed out that the guns can be set to fire at different rates.  So, I wonder if that also is creating the difference in the above sound samples.  The first example sounds like a faster rate to me.  Without knowing the actual rate etc....

I was thinking the same thing...

On September 5, 2016 at 2:33 PM, rocketman said:

Saw this clip and thought of your comics Bud, check it out (link in Swedish, but just start the video) it is about the origin of "the comic book font":

http://tjock.se/sinnet/art/354332/ursprunget_till_typsnittet_i_s/

Thanks for the link. That was a great little video! Makes perfect sense that the font used was selected for its legibility on poor quality paper back in the day. 

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Isn't there something about modern MG42 shooters firing at a lower rate of fire and with somewhat different ammunition compared to during the war? I read that somewhere but can't remember where...

There are three different weight bolts, used to modify the rate of fire. The heavier the bolt, the slower the fire.

I do not know how frequently they would be changed out or what the SOP is for using them.

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, BornGinger said:

That comic is really good and well made. This reminds me of the comics about the second world war me and my brothers read when we were kids in which the Allies always were heroes and the Germans always the villains.

I’m the author of these. Thanks for the compliments!  If you’re looking at these on a phone you will miss fine details. I’ve urged readers in the past to click the images for 2000px resolution to see small stuff not readily apparent otherwise. Just an FYI. ;)

2 hours ago, BornGinger said:

This comic is in a perfect size for reading on the phone. I've saved every page on my computer and sent to the two of my brothers who also read those comics about ww2 as kids. It's time for breakfast and finish reading to find out how this adventure ends.

Nice to see they are a big hit! If you’re looking for more, you can find them all on my Profile, at the bottom of the About Me section. Once Upon a Time on the Western Front is actually being published right now, with new additions daily. :)

Edited by Bud Backer

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2017 at 11:00 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Isn't there something about modern MG42 shooters firing at a lower rate of fire and with somewhat different ammunition compared to during the war? I read that somewhere but can't remember where...

You probably mix that up with the Bundeswehr MG 1, 2 and 3, which indeed were basically throttled MG 42. My brothers says in his BW times (early 70‘s)  they still had MG‘s in service, where the swastika‘s had been ground out. IIRC, the BW MG’s were set from 1200 to 700 rounds per minute. Indeed to save ammo. Plus, after the third round, one does not hit anything any way.

Apparently, at least for the MG3, it is fairly easy to remove the throttle, to bring it back to 1200rpm.

Edited by StieliAlpha

4 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Plus, after the third round, one does not hit anything any way.

Agreed if you are trying to hit a single target with a single bullet like with a rifle.  But, my understanding of the theory of the high rate of fire is that it would result in a fairly tight "spray" of 10 bullets in half a second - before the target(s) could react - and hence could cut down many.  

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Agreed if you are trying to hit a single target with a single bullet like with a rifle.  But, my understanding of the theory of the high rate of fire is that it would result in a fairly tight "spray" of 10 bullets in half a second - before the target(s) could react - and hence could cut down many.  

Well, probably there are many with much more recent and practical experience here to comment.

However, back then I was taught to fire 3 round bursts. The theory being: Three well aimed hits should be fatal, ten (sprayed over a square meter) would be an overkill with many „secondary hits” on the same target.
Or, to put some numbers to it: My 3rd round was normally something like 15cm away from the first. With 10, I would have peppered said square meter.

On 2/8/2016 at 8:24 AM, Doc844 said:

just wondering if it is possible if BF  admins can create another announcement/sticky thread where work like this can be put into.  It would be a shame to see it drop out of sight as more posts are put up and I think they would be missing out on a great opportunity of advertisement for the game.  I know there may well be legality issues but it is a thought.  Same can be said for some of the truly outstanding AAR's that are done here, I know there is a search function but it's not that great and to have all the real quality work in one place for each game would be a win win for everyone.  

(just a random thought that popped into my head while I'm waiting for the clock to hit 5 at work).

Well, I just spent the afternoon reading it, so it's not dead yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
13 hours ago, MrSpkr said:

Bud, I blame you for my losing some sleep last night! 😁

Seriously, glad I discovered this! Keep up the great work!

Haha you’re not the first who lost sleep, or snuck time away from work to read these; I’m delighted you enjoyed it that much.

My signature has a link to other completed and WIP comics and AARS. Enjoy!